• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mang's 2017 Peppa Grow

Seeds started on 2/26/17

Pic of heatless hab- I've got all these in just the cheap stuff from hardware store, not too much heat and no lights other than the sun. It's only been a couple weeks so Im still expecting a lot more to come up this week. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeds started 3/10/17

Got all these ones in the little peat pods.

Thanks to Malarky for the pubes  :party: , and Streamer for the Aji Jobito! Excited for these, every year I've tried manzanos and they do not germinate. I have these on mats most of the time, so hopefully that will help. This will be my first year growing a "wild" variety as well. 

I purchased the Rocoto Hualaga and Praetermissium from https://www.semillas.de/
I got the Goat's weed from https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/ and they threw me the Aji Habanero for free.
I bought the Heatless Hab, Hot Wax and Mustard Hab from http://www.rareseeds.com/
I'd recommend all those sites, shipping was good and prices were fair. All other seeds were from friends or seeds I harvested. 

In a couple weeks, I'll throw the spouts into some cheap dollar store cups, let them do their thing for about a month. I plan on only keeping 16 plants, and most of the super hots I end up giving away as I'm kind of over them. Afterwards, they'll get a good mix of perlite, pine bark, compost and whatever soil I can get for a reasonable price at the hardware store. I'm trying out those 5 gallon root pouches and they look pretty sturdy so hopefully the plants prosper in them! 

Very nice, flavorful varieties on your list. BOC & SB7J both have great flavors and high heat. I'm growing both again this year as well. We are growing a few of the same. How lucky you are to have a nice sunny window. The only South-facing window I have is blocked by trees. Good luck with your C. Praetermissium!

-Adam

Bhuter said:
Very nice, flavorful varieties on your list. BOC & SB7J both have great flavors and high heat. I'm growing both again this year as well. We are growing a few of the same. How lucky you are to have a nice sunny window. The only South-facing window I have is blocked by trees. Good luck with your C. Praetermissium!

-Adam
Thanks Bhuter!  BOC was definitely one of my favorites last year. 

Since last update, a couple of the Goat's weed came up, as well as a few more habaneros an the rest of the Carolina Reapers.
The other super hots and Manzano seeds are over two years old now, I'll be surprised if they germ at all. 

Happy St Patrick's Hangover day!
https://youtu.be/-fKLy0uKL3Y?list=RD-fKLy0uKL3Y
It's a cloudy day on the east coast...

Had a few more come up! I spoke too soon for the superhots. Two SB7J and a BOC popped.

Hooks showing in order from left to right, down. Goat's Weed, Aji Habanero, and Aji Jobito.

Little bit of a mimosa pudica experiment.

Cat was pissed between the peppers taking up his sun spot and all the commotion last night. 

Happy Tuesday...  :onfire:
About a month after sowing all my seeds, I've had successful germination for all varieties except Hungarian Black, Purple Bells, Serranos, and a few of the pubescens. I think the seeds on the first 3 were probably bad. 

Got them all into solo cups yesterday though, and they look great. 
2 Mini Rocoto
1 Rocoto Rio Huallaga
1 Yellow Manzano
2 Mustard Hab
1 P. Dreadie
2 Scotch Bonnet
2 Heatless Hab
2 Habanero
1 Aji Habanero
1 Goat's Weed
1 BOC
1 Carolina Reaper
2 Aji Jobito
2 C. Praetermissum
1 Yellow Cayenne
1 Thai
1 Hungarian Hot Wax

The one's I have two of will be slimmed to one to see which is the superior grower. 
The rest are still in the seedling tray because they'll be given away. I decided I wouldn't grow out SB7J, Caramel Bhut Jolokia, and Trinidad Scorpion. This year, I want to focus on milder peppers. 

Anyone else growing out Aji Habanero, Heatless Hab, or C. Praetermissum? Tell me about them! 

Give those pubes some time...mine popped pretty quick, but I didn't direct sow.
I think Stettoman's took like 3-4 weeks

I tried To grow Some Aji Habanero I got in a trade last year...they turned into some kind of Thai pepper lol

Malarky said:
Give those pubes some time...mine popped pretty quick, but I didn't direct sow.
I think Stettoman's took like 3-4 weeks

I tried To grow Some Aji Habanero I got in a trade last year...they turned into some kind of Thai pepper lol
Right on Malarky. I've still got them on light heating pads, I won't give up on them yet! 

Sucks about the Aji Habanero. Hopefully mine don't, that would be rather disappointing.  :mope:

Back