spirits Manhattans or martinis

Have enjoyed martinis before I was supposed to, manhattans are more of a recent noob development for myself... Anybody else? Gimme your favorite mix.

A martini for me is always gin. Plymouth or Bombay (not sapphire), Noilly Prat or dry Dolin, orange bitters if I remember/have time, and lemon twist more often than an olive. 3 parts gin to one vermouth, stirred. Chilled glasses await in my pepper freezer.

For manhattans I usually use Bulleit rye or bourbon, sometimes Ezra Brook if Im feeling super cheap. And red Dolin with regular bitters. Also 3 to 1 and stirred.

Manhattans aren't bad. I had one, once. Not a big whiskey drinker, but it had a good flavor.

Martinis? I've had maybe three. Thought I'd like them, because I like gin, I like olives, I'm okay with vodka. Well, turns out I fucking hate Martinis. I think they're disgusting. Maybe it's the vermouth. I just can't handle the taste, it's gross.

DWB said:
I love Bulleit rye. No recipes. That's straight up sippin' whisky for me.
It is surprisingly sippible. I always heard stuff about rye, but liked Bulleit when tried straight.

So if you guys don’t mix, what’s your favorite respective brands...

Like some of the other guys .... for me it's straight up Bulleit Rye or Scotch.  A Scotch discussion is a completely different thread :rolleyes: .    

When I make a Manhattan, I use Bulleit Rye , Noily Pratt Rouge
vermouth, Angostura bitters, and Luxardo Marischino cherries
with a dash of the cherry liqueur. Stirred over ice and poured
into a chilled martini glass. Goes down so easy  :twisted:

Otherwise I like my whiskey neat.

:cheers:

Harry_Dangler said:
Like some of the other guys .... for me it's straight up Bulleit Rye or Scotch.  A Scotch discussion is a completely different thread :rolleyes: .    
I make Rob Roys sometimes with Dewars white label... kinda like a manhattan, so why not talk about scotch? What are your faves? Top shelf, everyday, whatever. I love scotch. Only mix it rarely though.

PaulG said:
When I make a Manhattan, I use Bulleit Rye , Noily Pratt Rouge
vermouth, Angostura bitters, and Luxardo Marischino cherries
with a dash of the cherry liqueur. Stirred over ice and poured
into a chilled martini glass. Goes down so easy  :twisted:

Otherwise I like my whiskey neat.

:cheers:
Boom! Brands and recipe. Badass! Extra badass with the cherry inclusion! I chickened out at the last minute, even though Id already entered fancy-boy territory. I do use one cherry in a manhattan, usually stonewall bourbon ones because they are cheaper! You have to put one in there though, its in the recipe. Its a rule and stuff.

Really wish my bottle shop had red Noilly, they only carry the dry right now.

Everybody who says they like their stuff straight/neat wh hasnt said... what are your favorites?

Love the Scotch.  This week I'm working on a bottle of Glenfiddich Fire & Cane. Last week it was a bottle of Highland Park 12 Viking Honour.  My everyday drinker is Grants blend (for an inexpensive blend this my favorite).  I like most of the Glenmorangie line.  My favorite all time is Lagavulin 16.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Love the Scotch.  This week I'm working on a bottle of Glenfiddich Fire & Cane. Last week it was a bottle of Highland Park 12 Viking Honour.  My everyday drinker is Grants blend (for an inexpensive blend this my favorite).  I like most of the Glenmorangie line.  My favorite all time is Lagavulin 16.
I’m still a scotch greenhorn, but a couple of those are a little peaty, no? Any recommendations for a good mid range peaty one? I’ve pretty much only had highlands, no peat types.

boutros said:
I’m still a scotch greenhorn, but a couple of those are a little peaty, no? Any recommendations for a good mid range peaty one? I’ve pretty much only had highlands, no peat types.
IMO look for something from Laphroaig, Talisker or Bowmore.  There are many more.  Try a few until you find a few you really like.  I do not claim to be a connoisseur ..... I'm more of a drinker  :cheers:    

Harry_Dangler said:
IMO look for something from Laphroaig, Talisker or Bowmore.  There are many more.  Try a few until you find a few you really like.  I do not claim to be a connoisseur ..... I'm more of a drinker  :cheers:
Yeah, I know I’ve seen at least a couple of choices for two of those brands at the liquor store I usually stop by. I’m gonna grab a bottle of Laphroaig 10 finally to start soon. Thanks for your input!

Ezra brooks rye and Dolin red vermouth now, downed a few manhattans while looking over some plans. It’s relaxing! Also, I’ve heard you don’t have to use good stuff when you are making manhattans (mixing).... Mission accomplished!

I’ve been out-voted on the menu for Thanksgiving tomorrow, so I picked up some Boodles gin for martinis, Tullamore dew rum cask finished, and Laphroaig for straight sippin. No, not all at once tomorrow. Just gonna pick one for the day.

Anybody drinking anything special for Thanksgiving or the long weekend?

Not drinking anything special.  Still working on my handle of Bulleit Rye.  I've got a bottle of Glenfiddich Fire & Cane and an unopened bottle of Del Bac Dorado.  I picked up a handle of Grants Blend yesterday.  Got plenty to hold me for a few days. 

Leaving Saturday for Milan.  Probably pick up a few bottles over there to bring back.    

Back