spirits Manhattans or martinis

Harry_Dangler said:
Not drinking anything special.  Still working on my handle of Bulleit Rye.  I've got a bottle of Glenfiddich Fire & Cane and an unopened bottle of Del Bac Dorado.  I picked up a handle of Grants Blend yesterday.  Got plenty to hold me for a few days. 

Leaving Saturday for Milan.  Probably pick up a few bottles over there to bring back.
Milan, huh? Pretty cool! Planning on anything specific or just looking? Only Italian stuff we have in our cabinet is Campari (always) Aperol, and sometimes vermouth. I just buy it here though lol.

That Del Bac Dorado, mesquite instead of peat looks pretty interesting. Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels man!

boutros said:
Milan, huh? Pretty cool! Planning on anything specific or just looking? Only Italian stuff we have in our cabinet is Campari (always) Aperol, and sometimes vermouth. I just buy it here though lol.

That Del Bac Dorado, mesquite instead of peat looks pretty interesting. Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels man!
Happy Thanksgiving.  I've got business in Milan and go over there every 3-4 months.  Before I head back to the US I always stop at the Iper Grande Milano (huge store like a Wegmans, HEB, Costco combined) and see what they've got.  Some liquor is cheaper than in the US.  I've got half a dozen bottle bras that I use to bring it back in my checked bag. I always bring back hard cheese too (like parmigiano reggiano).
The Dorado is great.  Made in Tucson.  Very smokey.  Good sipper.  I find you either love it or hate it ..... nothing in between.  It's hard to find here.  I have a guy in Missouri who special orders it for me .... 6 bottles at a time.  

I drink martinis regularly.

Noilly Prat, thank you, none of that sweet Martini and Rossi shit.

Preferably Finnish gin - it's hard to get better when it comes to taste.

Shaken by my wife with Finnish ice until the shaker is too cold to hold onto.

Do not put further props or flavors into my martini.

podz said:
I drink martinis regularly.

Noilly Prat, thank you, none of that sweet Martini and Rossi shit.

Preferably Finnish gin - it's hard to get better when it comes to taste.

Shaken by my wife with Finnish ice until the shaker is too cold to hold onto.

Do not put further props or flavors into my martini.
Why shaken?

who wants a Martini when you can have a Manatini  :party:
dr07JUy.jpg
   :cheers:

CaneDog said:
Because even though he's not James Bond, he can still be cool.

JK.  Because they get sooo cold in a shaker.  :)
True. I’ve had them shaken usually because I’m out to eat somewhere and forgot to specify stirred. The downside is they get really diluted and even strained, kinda martini-arita ish. That’s not a word, is it?

I picked up a bottle of Drumshanbo Irish gin tonight that I’ve been drinking straight since I’ve never had it before. It’s pretty good, definitely working... maybe a little too fruity. It probably ties Hendricks and both place below The Botanist for sure. To me anyway.

MikeUSMC said:
I love Mahattans. My go to:

Maker's Mark
Just a splash of sweet vermouth
Hold the bitters
2 cherries
Wipe an orange slice around the rim of the glass

:cheers:
I like the incorporation of the orange! Sometimes people dismiss garnishes and stuff like that, but I find them interesting. We do all kinds of steps when we make food, drinks/cocktails aren’t any different.

I'm in a martini mode since I have a bottle of dry vermouth open. Picked up a bottle of Death’s Door gin I found today. It is a pretty simple gin but I’m lovin it! Only domestic gin I’ve tried this year and I’m impressed. Martinis 3/1, lemon bitters and lemon twist.

I had to revisit this thread one more time, had a couple beefeater/Dolin martinis tonight...

This thread has changed me deeply, I gotta say I prefer my whisky straight up now, no ice or mixers. Bourbon is good by itself, last I tried was a four roses small batch bottle. But it is really boring compared to a nip of your basic Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

I still love my martinis though. I don’t feel bad for mixing gin. At the end of the day, it is just an infused vodka more or less, but at least has a flavor.

boutros said:
Have enjoyed martinis before I was supposed to, manhattans are more of a recent noob development for myself... Anybody else? Gimme your favorite mix.

A martini for me is always gin. Plymouth or Bombay (not sapphire), Noilly Prat or dry Dolin, orange bitters if I remember/have time, and lemon twist more often than an olive. 3 parts gin to one vermouth, stirred. Chilled glasses await in my pepper freezer.

For manhattans I usually use Bulleit rye or bourbon, sometimes Ezra Brook if Im feeling super cheap. And red Dolin with regular bitters. Also 3 to 1 and stirred.

Martini drinker here. I drink just about any gin that doesn't taste like shit, both Plymouth and Bombay work for me. Also some Finnish gins are totally awesome. I care not if a gin is mass market or boutique, just needs to taste good and not be sugared-up.

I'm a bit more picky when it comes to vermouth because most of them are sugared-up candy crap. In that respect, I do prefer Noilly Prat as it is very low in sugar.

I really hate sugar content in anything I consume, did I mention that?

boutros said:
I had to revisit this thread one more time, had a couple beefeater/Dolin martinis tonight...

This thread has changed me deeply, I gotta say I prefer my whisky straight up now, no ice or mixers. Bourbon is good by itself, last I tried was a four roses small batch bottle. But it is really boring compared to a nip of your basic Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

I still love my martinis though. I don’t feel bad for mixing gin. At the end of the day, it is just an infused vodka more or less, but at least has a flavor.

There are vodkas and then again there are vodkas. I see you haven't conquered that journey yet :-)

podz said:
Polish: Żubrówka (Bison Grass Vodka), Sobieski
Russian: Stolichnya Kristall, Russian Standard
Finnish: Finlandia, Koskenkorva
Thanks. Have tried Russian Standard, think I only had in Bloody Marys though, so no real idea on taste. Heard a lot about the first two and remember seeing them here.

boutros said:

One other thing: I do like bourbon a bit, but it is highly sugared up - a bit like drinking alcoholic maple syrup. Scotch, on the other hand, has zero sugar in the bottle. That is one of the major differences between the two.

podz said:
One other thing: I do like bourbon a bit, but it is highly sugared up - a bit like drinking alcoholic maple syrup. Scotch, on the other hand, has zero sugar in the bottle. That is one of the major differences between the two.
God, it really is. I guess it has to be though considering it is made from corn. After living here for almost a decade, I’ve seen enough corn to last several lifetimes.

Drinking some Negronis today. Red Noilly Prat, Campari, and Beefeater gin. Going down good, has been so hot here lately and I’ve been stuck in an even hotter building welding for weeks now. Gonna try some of the recommended vodkas next weekend I think.

Gave the Żubrówka a try today. Over a bit of ice, pretty interesting stuff. Going to keep an eye out for the rest of the list, thanks Podz.

Tequila master race checking in here.

But when I do vodka.

Its a bloody mary.

4 olives.

2 tbs. of the brine.

Tomato juice.

Wedge of lime squeezin's n' pleazins.

Because.

I ain't James Bond.

Back