manure

Rymerpt said:
I have a customer that is gonna give me a bag of composted sheep poop. She uses it on her garden and has awesome results 
what mix ratio you using ?
i just shoveled 4 truck loads of horse shit in the garden , peppers and tomatoes gonna love me !  gonna go get 2 more loads , use some in my containers this year see how it goes . never used it in containers before .  gonna pot up in final homes this week .     :onfire:

Don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna use 5gal buckets with this:

pso900-a1_zpsedff35bc.jpg

And maybe one gal of composted crap per 5gal bucket?

moruga welder said:
what mix ratio you using ?

i just shoveled 4 truck loads of horse shit in the garden , peppers and tomatoes gonna love me !  gonna go get 2 more loads , use some in my containers this year see how it goes . never used it in containers before .  gonna pot up in final homes this week .     :onfire:
Composted, right? 

Rymerpt said:
Don't know what I'm doing, but I'm gonna use 5gal buckets with this:

pso900-a1_zpsedff35bc.jpg

And maybe one gal of composted crap per 5gal bucket?
the nursery in town carries that .  are you cutting with 1/3 perlite ?
Roguejim said:
Composted, right? 
oh ya , last years crap .  got one buddy who races horses has about 10 and another who has 3 . lots of old poop to be had . think i'll use some pro-mix , mushroom compost , poop , 1/3 perlite . with a little bone meal and epsom at the bottom .

You can use all herbivore manure, though avoid carnivore and omnivore manure (dog, cat, pig etc). Pig manure can be used but is very sharp (lots of ammonia) if it's from farmed pigs. If it's from free range pigs that also eat nuts, grasses etc it can be used normally (they have solid lumps instead of semi liquid). Fermenting/composting it with greens would be optimal, but better just use dung of;

cows
goats
sheep
alpaca
horse
donkey

DON'T use manure from wild animals like deer droppings, wild boars etc. They can contains dangerous parasites like flush worms. You just don't want that in your food plot.

I use what I have.  Goat, Sheep, Pig, Chicken and Duck.  Duck comes from the bottom of mini ponds that I dredge, so sure there is fish poop and dead fish in there too.  The pond scrapings seem to be the absolute best for about everything.  The others are a mixture of straw, hay, n poop. 

Barn scrapings are set aside to compost for a year.  Pond scrapings are used on areas where I grow feed corn.  I figure the stuff composts as it goes and because it is corn it is no where near the ground.

Have read urban growers use pigeon poop from on top of their apartment buildings, but also understand there is bad stuff in pigeon poop.

Yes, bird poop often has salmonella. Though just compost it first and you should be fine. When used fresh it would be quite sharp anyway, with a huge chance of burn. Most (more like all) manure has dangerous pathogens like e. coli, salmonella, klebsiella etc. With healthy people they are usually not that bad, but they are a serious threat if consumed (or get an infected cut etc) by children, elderly, diabetics or otherwise vulnerable people. And if you win a prize from the bad luck lottery you end up with a resistant strain due to preventive use of antibiotics on livestock.

Don't mess with the poop, use it wisely and make sure to work hygienicly. Compost it before using.

Sheep and goat drops are the safest as they are solid and therefore just fall apart slowly without contaminating their surroundings.

ajdrew said:
Have read urban growers use pigeon poop from on top of their apartment buildings, but also understand there is bad stuff in pigeon poop.
yes pigeon poop is suppose to be the best poop going        :onfire:

Pfeffer, so much in what you said is so very true, but could use much expanding.  There are photos of the Whitehouse lawn filled with sheep.  Great lawn mowers and the pellets just sort of fall between the blades of grass.  Thinking goats prefer not to bend over so much.  We use both, the goats go after the hard to get weeds.  Not saying I would want to walk barefoot with open sores, but you are dead on to say the pellets are kind of time released.  They dont cause the bald spots that dogs and cats do.

But on composting, not all that necessary with SOME production.  Worked on an organic farm that had horses and used a poop slinger / shit wagon.  You put the poop / straw mixture on the wagon, drag it over your field with a tractor, the pto on the tractor powers a slinger which throws the poop / straw left n right, real even and real fine.  One good rain and you cant really tell it was there in the first place.  Not where you would want to grow watermelon, strawberry, or anything else that touches the ground; but fine for corn, hay and other feed crops its a great way to keep the top soil fresh and get rid of huge volumes of poop.

Yes, you can burn the crap out of a crop if you do not compost.  Yep, you can poison yourself.  But a person can do the same with chemical approaches.  So am thinking that with every approach what it comes down to is people being dumb.  Isnt that with most things?

Back