• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Manzano Habanero

This is actually a chinense; prolific......

IMG_2136.jpg

willard3 said:
This is actually a chinense; prolific......

IMG_2136.jpg
A thread by Willard, I knew I had to see it.
Never heard of it. has a very cool look to it. how is it in terms of flavor and heat?

I got this seed from a fellow grower this year and none are ripe so I haven't yet tasted it.

Fellow grower says it is quite picante with typical chinense/fruity taste. I make ceviche a lot and am growing this for use in ceviche. I have been using tangerine bells, also a chinense, in ceviche, but wanted to try something new.

I think the manzano refers to the shape, but I don't think it looks like an apple, either....certainly won't taste like an apple.........

These are about 1-1/2" dia now and are not yet mature.

The mature specimens I have seen are somewhat larger, say 2.5" long and about the same dia as they are now.

I'm growing these this year, I had a few good sized ripe pods a while ago. I loved the taste, I wouldn't say apple flavour but they were certainly fruity, fairly hot too.

Manzano Habanero pod looks good willard but what did you do to the picture? It looks as if its been stained glassed in a photo editor. Taste report would be nice.:)

Back