• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

mapping heat in the mouth

Hi: I'm a writer, working on a book about a food pantry in which we occasionally serve Chilli Man (cq) chili from Faribault, Minnesota. The spices are "secret" so I'm trying to discern the variety of chile used by the very slight, but noticeable burn in the back of the mouth shortly after swallowing. Could it be cayenne? I've read (somewhere, long ago) that chiles irritate at different places and times, and wonder if anyone can point me to a "burn map" of commonly used chiles.
Also, canned chili seems to have a uniformly "canned" taste, not to mention a uniform brownish cast. If you have any information on the canned cooking process and its effect on taste, please pass it along. In this case, it's chili con carne with what appear to be pinto beans.
Thanks for your help.
Jim Carrier
Madison WI

For me, cayenne is always an up front burn, i.e. lips and tongue. Jalapenos, serranos, Thai chilis, de Arbos, et al dried or fresh all fall into the same taste profile. A quickly noticable up front burn. I don't notice the back of the mouth/throat with anything less than a habanero as a rule.

I've used as little as one habanero in a big pot of salsa, and it does just that. Leaves the front open for taste, but gives a nice little heat profile at the back, and it's usually something that sneaks up rather than hits all at once.

A "burn map" for the mouth. Now that would be something. I know someone who has stated before they would like to cross a few peppers to get an overall mouth burn. I don't know how far along they got but I believe they had categorized a few peppers and the part of the mouth/throat that they brought the heat to. I'll see how far they got with their "map". If you would like to send me a PM Mr. Carrier I'll see what I can find out.

I found that it depends a lot on how you prepare the peppers. When I make a fresh sauce it typically burns my lips first. After the sauce sits for a few days it burns other parts of my mouth. I also get a different effect when eating a habanero fresh than a cooked one.

Edit: I also think tolerance plays a role in this too. I get a different effect than people with low tolerances.

I find certain c. Chinense strains give me the harshest backadathroat burn. My TSMB plants gave me pods that had a sharp burn that hit predominantly the throat.

Back