• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Maradona is dead

The man who was credited with "the Hand of God" has finally met its rightful owner...
He was a horrible little fella, with otherworldly talent, and a penchant for cocaine.  But still one of best who ever played the game.  Argentina will most likely create a holiday, after a week of mourning.
50645849017_0756e44187.jpg

They are mourning in the streets of Napoli as well.  

Ruid said:
Can I get some more information on this? I'm beyond out of the loop.

Well, seeing where you're from, there's no way that you don't know who Maradona is.
That being said, it is as posted.  He's dead.  Not really much more to know.  60 years.  Heart attack.  He's been looking like he's swallowed a weather balloon for about the last 20 years, so no real surprise.

By the way, where exactly ARE you from?  I thought you were from the UK, but I think I may be mistaken.  I know Leyton, Luton, and Lynton... but Lyton...  So confused!

ahayastani said:

That's almost only possible if you're born in the 90s are later. But anyone from the 80s or before has heard of Maradona, soccer fan or not.

That might be a little harsh.  It would be a bit like going to Saharan Africa, and casually talking about Madonna, and expecting anyone to...
Shit.  That's a really bad example.

Like i said, i barely follow sports because i simply dont care. Never heard of the guy and im damn near 60yr old. Never cared for soccer at all. Never watched a single game ever in my life. Only soccer name i remember is Pele.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Like i said, i barely follow sports because i simply dont care. Never heard of the guy and im damn near 60yr old. Never cared for soccer at all. Never watched a single game ever in my life. Only soccer name i remember is Pele.

Blessed are you! I have always had a distaste for soccer (or  competitive sports in general), but Maradona was a statement that was impossible to avoid when/where I grew up.

stettoman said:
I give NO sports figure cudos for anything, unless they achieved a betterment for mankind.

At least that's not a highly subjective statement.  We've all heard the idea that men in strip clubs are "supporting single mothers"... :D
There are more than a fair few sports figures who use their wealth and fame for good.  And that's all relative to how and where you live, and what your value system is.  There is no consensus on what "betterment of mankind" really means, either.  Which part of mankind?  Is what's good for "all", sometimes bad for "some"?
Pele - good apple.  Maradona - rotten apple.  Or at least that's how I view them.  Both loved by some, hated by others.  If you're the kid from the slums of Rosario, Maradona is a God.  If you're from Minnesota, meh.

ahayastani said:

Blessed are you! I have always had a distaste for soccer (or  competitive sports in general), but Maradona was a statement that was impossible to avoid when/where I grew up.

In non-Covid times, I spent a good share of my finances and free time, watching European football, both here and there.  I support one of the London clubs.  (I, personally, have a distaste for American sports, in particular)  But I just happen to love how that game in particular, is something that can be enjoyed with a minimum of gear or accessories, and by rich or poor.  I've kicked a footie around in the futsal clubs, under the autopistas in Buenos Aires, and picked up a 5 a side in shady barrios, stateside.  Nobody gives a shit who you are, once that ball is rolling.  And it's as universally recognized as music.
I definitely understand that some don't like sports.  Especially in the premier levels, where money comes into play.  But it's really hard to overlook the utility of sports.  In a lot of places, it's the only thing that will keep people behaving, and in-check.  Take away sport, and...

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Yea, mine was hometown baseball - Boston Red SoxTed Williams

Agreed!
'Williams's involvement in the Jimmy Fund helped raise millions in dollars for cancer care and research.'

https://sportmob.com/en/article/871806-Who-Are-the-Most-Charitable-Football-Players-in-the-World
Soccer is a world sport.  Baseball is an American sport with a "World Series" that isn't.  I can accept that you are of a different generation, and therefore, like so many of your own, are extremely culturally myopic.  But your ignorance on this matter is showing.  Pele is to Brazil alone, what 100 Ted Williams are to the US, and his global influence is beyond doubt.  In fact, if I hadn't heard his name on the news, regarding his post-mortem weirdness, I couldn't/wouldn't have given the same two shits (about Ted Williams) that you afford a legion of international athletes.  (who by the way...  are ACTUAL athletes)
If you ask anyone who Ted Williams is, chances are, if they were born after 1970 - and especially in some other country - they'll get the same treatment that Maradona will get with Americans over 50.  Meh.  But it's damned ironic.
https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/pele
https://borgenproject.org/the-pele-foundation-and-the-empowerment-of-the-disenfranchised/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-pele-auction/pele-to-donate-auction-money-to-santos-charity-idUSKCN0YO0AK
The list goes on and on.  If charity and bleeding heart causes are what turns your world, then Pele is just about the ultimate good dude.
Athletes, in general, are not the brightest bulbs.  However, across the world, there is a growing effort to make good stewards of professional athletes - especially since many of them grew up poor, and have no clue how to handle money without guidance.  But that's not really the kind of thing that one can speak to, if they don't follow sport.  But talk away... ;)

Back