• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MarcV 2021

OK guys, I know I'm not much of a writer on this forum but I do read it daily. Maybe it's time to try a glog again...

I started my seeds on the 1st of February. These are the ones I selected for my grow this year...

Jalapenos:
  • Farmers Market Jalapeno
  • Rayados Jalapeno
  • Zapotec Jalapeno
  • Jalapeno Dieghito
  • Telica Jalapeno
Scotch Bonnets:
  • Foodarama Yellow
  • Schneider Farms
  • Freeport Orange
  • Marabella Market Yellow
  • Papa Dreadie
Bhuts:
  • Bhut Jolokia Caramel
  • Bhut Jolokia Peach
Misc:
  • Ancho Poblano
  • Piment D'Espelette
  • Gochugaru
At first I wanted to make this a Jalapeno only season with 10 Jalapeno varieties + Piment D'Espelette and Gochugaru. But then I thought... the Scotch Bonnet season that I wanted to do in 2019 turned out into a fiasco, maybe I should give it another try? So I selected a couple of bonnets and added them to the list.

I have also always wanted to give bhuts a try. I have the seeds for quite some time now but never actually gave them a try. I hope they are still viable. I guess we'll see soon...

As for the miscellaneous varieties... The Piment D'Espelette is one I grow every year. I just love this chili. Not very hot but great taste. I have plenty of seeds that come from an actual Espelette farm so they are as true as they can be. Plants always grow very strong and are very early producing.

The Gochugaru is one that I am growing for my daughter. She loves Korean cooking and asked me to grow a Korean variety, I got the seeds from Super Hot Chiles (Jim Duffy).

The Ancho Poblano is "just another one" I would like to give a try. I saw some pictures of it on the facebook page of Fatalii Seeds and they looked so tempting I couldn't resist getting the seeds.

So here we are... 
No hooks yet... :D

Nice list of peppers you have there.  I really like your bonnet selections.  
Where did you find the Rayado Jalapeño seeds?  I grew a few of them last year and really liked them.  I have them on my list to grow again this year but haven't started them yet.
Good luck with your grow.  I clicked the follow button.

Chile poblano is a good stuffing pepper. Best to remove the skin. Also good as rajas (also better to remove the skin). Almost no hotness, though there is considerable variation between fruits. I grew them in a greenhouse when I was living in your climate, together with jalapeño, serrano, paprika and tomato, and they did well until early October.

ahayastani said:
Chile poblano is a good stuffing pepper. Best to remove the skin. Also good as rajas (also better to remove the skin). Almost no hotness, though there is considerable variation between fruits. I grew them in a greenhouse when I was living in your climate, together with jalapeño, serrano, paprika and tomato, and they did well until early October.

No greenhouse for me unfortunately, which may be part of the problem when a specific variety fails.
I had to google rajas... seems like something worth trying!  :thumbsup:

I need to grow Piment D'Espelette again. The seeds you sent me did very well. Interested to see you’re growing Gochugaru and Rayado. I’m still eating Kimchi from a batch I made two years ago. The stuff lasts forever and we love it on a grilled cheese sandwich. I’m trying Chile Rayado for the first time from seeds a member of the forum sent me last year. He got them from a farmers market in Mexico. I love getting seeds that came from the source, just like the Piment D'Espelette and Jeromin. Thanks again for all the seeds you’ve sent me.

Good luck going forward, Marc  :cheers:

I see you are growing the Papa Dreadie this season.
Have you checked  out the P. Dreadie Community
Grow thread? Sawyer's getting it active again for this
season.

Hope to see you there!

This is a great list and I love the jalapeno varieties. I'm growing the zapotec and rayados myself this year and am interested in seeing the other varieties you have. I too love the 'Espelettes. They're such a versatile pepper, fresh or dried. I am hoping to grow some again this year, but am still waiting on a shipment from Semillas La Palma, both 'Espelettes and Piquillo's.

I'll definitely be following along. Good Luck!

PepperFish said:
This is a great list and I love the jalapeno varieties. I'm growing the zapotec and rayados myself this year and am interested in seeing the other varieties you have. I too love the 'Espelettes. They're such a versatile pepper, fresh or dried. I am hoping to grow some again this year, but am still waiting on a shipment from Semillas La Palma, both 'Espelettes and Piquillo's.

I grew the Piment de Espelette and Piquillo
from Semillas la Palma last season.

Both did very well here just north of the
45th parallel in a temperate maritime climate.

The Piquillos excellent for stuffing and the
Espelettes great for drying and flaking.

kentishman said:
I need to grow Piment D'Espelette again. The seeds you sent me did very well. Interested to see youre growing Gochugaru and Rayado. Im still eating Kimchi from a batch I made two years ago. The stuff lasts forever and we love it on a grilled cheese sandwich. Im trying Chile Rayado for the first time from seeds a member of the forum sent me last year. He got them from a farmers market in Mexico. I love getting seeds that came from the source, just like the Piment D'Espelette and Jeromin. Thanks again for all the seeds youve sent me.
Wow didn't know kimchi lasts that long! My daughter made a batch several weeks ago and she still has some in the fridge that is perfectly fine! I love the fresh taste of it

PaulG said:
Good luck going forward, Marc  :cheers:

I see you are growing the Papa Dreadie this season.
Have you checked  out the P. Dreadie Community
Grow thread? Sawyer's getting it active again for this
season.

Hope to see you there!

It's where I got to know about the papa dreadie. Unfortunately, the plant grew very nicely back then but produced zero peppers. Hope I have better luck this season!

PepperFish said:

I planned on growing even more jalapenos but then decided to make some room for some other varieties. You can't have it all...
I can always send you some espelette seeds from the 2020 harvest if you like

Today I also added biquinho amarillo to my grow list.

MarcV said:
 I planned on growing even more jalapenos but then decided to make some room for some other varieties. You can't have it all...
I can always send you some espelette seeds from the 2020 harvest if you like
I am afraid my order with Semillas La Palma has been intercepted by the authorities so I will take you up on that offer. A PM has been sent. Thank you very much. Let me know if there is anything I can do in return.

My humble setup... heated at 25°C/77°F and 2x 18W T8 6500K lamps. (that's 3 temperature units in one line! )

DSCF0762-xt.jpg

First hook today! Jalapeno Telica...

DSCF0765-xt.jpg

Nothing like seeing the first stirrings of your 2021 season, Marc!

Once it starts, it goes fast. The gochugaru and jalapeno dieghito are showing signs of life...

update : the rayados jalapeno is also coming to life!

And I added yet another variety to the grow list : Jeromin. I didn't want to grow it at first this year but it is such a good allround pepper that I would definitely miss it.
Jeromin is a Spanish heirloom that is used in the production of the hot version of the smoked paprika powder called Pimenton De La Vera. I got my hands on a pack of smoke dried Jeromin chilis a couple of years ago and decided to try growing the seeds that were still in the pods. To my surprise they readily germinated. A while ago I sent some of those seeds to The Hippy Seed Company. Neil grew them out and made a nice video review of the peppers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCgEK2scgo

MarcV said:
And I added yet another variety to the grow list : Jeromin. I didn't want to grow it at first this year but it is such a good allround pepper that I would definitely miss it.
Jeromin is a Spanish heirloom that is used in the production of the hot version of the smoked paprika powder called Pimenton De La Vera. I got my hands on a pack of smoke dried Jeromin chilis a couple of years ago and decided to try growing the seeds that were still in the pods. To my surprise they readily germinated. A while ago I sent some of those seeds to The Hippy Seed Company. Neil grew them out and made a nice video review of the peppers...

I remember your adventures with this pepper from your Glog 2 or 3 years ago.  That's neat that you sent it on to The Hippy Seed Company.

Now everyone can have them.  :)

All my annuum varieties now have at least one germinated seed (except for the jeromin that I planted later). No sign of life in the chinese varieties just yet...

Back