marketing Marketing of Shit the Bed hot sauce

Not asking for myself, just for conversation.  Watched this video and for some reason I feel that call to action.  Please watch the video and tell me if you feel the same and why.  I think the reason I got that feeling is that her appeal says that she cant do this out of her home kitchen anymore.  Makes it seem very home based / cottage.  I am a sucker for the under dog every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXvqZb5mkRM

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Except no sauce maker can make it in their home kitchen. So what they're saying is that they've been producing & illegally selling sauce until now?

That does the opposite for me: do it legally or don't do it.

:rolleyes:

ajdrew said:
Not asking for myself, just for conversation.  Watched this video and for some reason I feel that call to action.  Please watch the video and tell me if you feel the same and why.  I think the reason I got that feeling is that her appeal says that she cant do this out of her home kitchen anymore.  Makes it seem very home based / cottage.  I am a sucker for the under dog every time.

I dont know why if its so popular she cant sell enough to finance herself?

She's in Oz...they can do that Down Under (and I think in some European countries also?).  Candice from Wildfire ChilliHeatseekers Hot Sauce was licensed for home processing.  I did co-packing for her for one sauce because one ingredient was illegal for her to import to Australia.

It looks like an interesting sauce.  From the story, it sounds like Shit The Bed went viral and she's asking for money to front a production run.  Or maybe it was just to buy the bottles???

edit- needs the money to "buy a really large (tonne) amount of the mini-champagne bottles and to fill them."

edit 2-  and just because we can never get enough Stoopid Human tricks---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd5F-8M-aNs

:lol:

On financing: I could see someone getting slammed for requests and needing to finance a huge order via copacking.  Not exactly what she said, but I can not imagine her doing that volume in a home kitchen.  What I can imagine is a home based product that wants to raise money for a full blown commercial production.  More so when doing it yourself wouldnt be possible.

ajdrew said:
On financing: I could see someone getting slammed for requests and needing to finance a huge order via copacking.  Not exactly what she said, but I can not imagine her doing that volume in a home kitchen.  What I can imagine is a home based product that wants to raise money for a full blown commercial production.  More so when doing it yourself wouldnt be possible.
Agree - it's difficult to have growth spurts without capital.

You have a few choices - small business loans, where you'll pay interest, taking on investors who will expect return on their investment, family/friend/social loans, which can be an interesting option with some of the online managed options out there now.

Or you can go the social fundraising method. If done well it can benefit both the backers and the company. as with most things, unfortunately a few bad apples have given social fundraising a bad name, but I look at it as pre-sales of a new product or merchandise. If people want to get on board, it can be a great way for a small expansion (say, a crapload of bottles) with elbow grease equity.

I get behind those campaigns. I did my utmost to run a campaign like that.

No hand-outs, just pre-selling a product to raise $ for expansion. the online version of setting up a lemonade stand. ;)

I could see doing another Kickstarter in the future if I'm fortunate enough to need a chunk of capital for.company growth. :cheers:

I've never seen a lemonade stand be like "you paid today, now you can have lemonade next week"
We reached our target - 100% Funded!
Thanks to all our backers, Bunsters Fresh is now a reality. In this video update find information on when we'll be shipping your hot sauce, and how this week we got mentioned on 4 different awesome websites.

Weed, that is how things like Kick Starter and other fun raising sites work.  I couldnt do something like that, not organized enough, but it does seem to work for a great many folk.

ajdrew said:
Weed, that is how things like Kick Starter and other fun raising sites work.  I couldnt do something like that, not organized enough, but it does seem to work for a great many folk.

I know how they work I just didnt get the comparison to a lemonade stand.

Maybe LuckyDog was referencing that Kickstarter backers are the Mom & Pops of the Lemonade Stand entrepreneurs.  Fronting the money, hoping for a ROI?  Or at least paying for the sugar~~~ :lol: 

I've jumped in on a couple KS campaigns.  One (for a cast iron skillet) because I REALLLY wanted a quality, new cast iron skillet made with some new/modern features.  I don't know of any other business trying to do new cast iron in the US and I have to say...even though I know I paid more than what I deemed the pan to be worth at a regular retail price (by about +30%), I was more than happy to over-pay for the first pan if it got the company up and running (which the KS did!  By about 50% above and beyond their goal!!!). I knew they would be making other quality CI products which I would be able to buy at regular retail prices down the road.

Other, not so much on a grand scale but because I like the product (sauces ;) ).

YEP!  Finex!  made in Portland OR.

The original KS was about 2 1/2 years ago for a 12" octagon skillet.  Since then they have added a lid for the skillet, a 10" skillet with lid, a square griddle, and an 8" skillet. 

edit- I used my original KS skillet tonight frying up beef for nachos.  LOVE it!  There is no quality of any new CI to match it.  OLD CI, yes...some of my old stock is righ up there for pan surface but doesn't have the large handle, octagon shape, holding tab on the far side....(OK...enough on the CI....:lol: )

I'm holding out for the MacDaddy........the 14" Dutch Oven!   

sadly, I haven't heard of that being in the works....yet......  :lol:  But when it is....Yea,BABY!

Anyway,  Back to KS....or should it get back to Shit The Sheets Bed sauce? 

Oh my, they are not round.  Modern cast iron makes me sad.  Cast iron is what you are supposed to get from family members when they done gave up on cooking.

Wife adds: And then your mother in law can put them in the dish washer and ruin them because she is a yanky and doesnt know shit about cast iron.

ajd~  I LIKE-bombed your last post!  :lol:  MY family is thankfully well versed on the value of CI. and I have a story that should probably be in the CI thread, so never mind on that....

I know, I was with you on the octagon-thing....but it really does make sense for pouring out of any corner. 

It was the finish that sold it for me.  I'd purchased a few CI pieces over the years as well as aquiring some Old Stock CI and NONE of the new stock had that mirror-like finish that my old CI had.  Finex mills the bottom of the pans to a smooth finish like the old CI, no other modern CI maker does that.  Most are made overseas anyway, and who knows what metals are used in the iron.  They all have a pebbly/pitted surface that stinks.   

Well, that's what sold me to overpay for a fry pan on KS~

(how's that for getting it back on topic?  :lol:  )

Salsa Lady - Wife's folk were Appalachian, so wife grew up Appalachian.  My folk were father first generation German American dairy farmer x woman from Brooklyn.  So I grew up confused.  My mother is the last of our folk, come to live with us while I get her condo fixed up.  Her and my wife were on much better terms before she came to live with us.  The cast iron was only one of the differences.

Hoping you can appreciate this.  The woman would not eat a brown egg because it looks dirty.  Oh and fresh milk.. not even if I heat pasteurized it.  Food shouldn't come from an animal, it should come from the grocery store.

Weed said:

I know how they work I just didnt get the comparison to a lemonade stand.

The comparison is not about timing, it's about self-funding and value offering. You're offering something for something, not something for nothing. The "lemonade stand" reference was merely an example of a type of fundraiser where you can build equity through elbow grease ("sweat equity"). Obviously.   :rolleyes:

The most common misconception about social fundraising is that it's a hand-out or money grab, where people are suckered into giving "free money" to the host of the campaign. That's been attempted by a few slimebags, sure - as with anything unethical people will attempt to corrupt the system. But the vast majority are people trying to offer an honest good or service for a fair return, using advanced sales or rare perks/merchandise/etc. If you like the product and the company, maybe you'll get on board. If you don't like the product or company or don't feel the rewards are fair, don't give them money. It's pretty simple and seems to pretty effective at sorting the wheat from the chaff. Bad social fundraisers fail, good ones succeed. There are exceptions, but I fail to see why it stirs so much wrath in some people. Seems like irrational assumption or jealousy of others having financial success.  The most frequent comment I see is the "something for nothing" line, which is preposterous - not only do the backers get something for their $, the host has to work their ass off to fulfill rewards in a timely manner. It's a LOT of work. 

Since you insist on being so literal, a better example might be pre-sales of video games by a place like game stop. There are only so many games released at launch - if you want to get in on the 1st wave, you put $ down and get nothing in return but a promise that when you come back on the launch date, the game will be there for you. If you didn't pay in advance, you'll have to wait a week or two for the next shipment of that game to come in. 

Are you against social fundraising? Do you see it as somehow a less ethical means of supporting a growth spurt for a company? If so, why?

By all means - contribute something to the topic. 

I always give a buck but never take the lemonade. The lemonade is the perk for helping a young entrepreneur. In this way it is similar to crowd funding.

Back