• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Mash or brine?

Hi everyone, happy September!

This is very premature for me to be asking as I’ve only grown Cayenne peppers and this is my first time growing.
I have seen some videos on both methods of fermenting to make sauces, which is where I’d like to go with this hobby, but I’ve never heard of a reason why to use either. Can someone tell me why you would ferment a mash versus peppers in brine?

TIA!

Spray a little vinegar on top of a mash and the chance it molds or gets kahm plummets. Dont stir it in, just use a small food grade spray bottle. I did a Joes Long Cayenne with Easy Fermenter lids that sat for a year and never got any mold or kahm yeast too. Yeast need oxygen and you remove a huge amount of that with the Easy Fermenters.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, happy September!

This is very premature for me to be asking as I’ve only grown Cayenne peppers and this is my first time growing.
I have seen some videos on both methods of fermenting to make sauces, which is where I’d like to go with this hobby, but I’ve never heard of a reason why to use either. Can someone tell me why you would ferment a mash versus peppers in brine?

TIA!
The members here know more then I do so you understand that,,,..Just my thoughts, yeast,salt or probiotics fermented, I like the flavor of my cayenne ferments,beneficial probiotics,vitamins that aren't cooked out of the sauce.

Back