• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Matouk's

I seem to recall a post on this board about what the hottest non-extract sauces are. I remember Tina saying that her husband included Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce (Salsa Picante) near the top. I mentioned, at the time, Matouk's Flambeau Sauce, which is supposed to be even hotter.
My local grocer got some of the Hot Pepper Sauce in a few weeks ago, so i thought I would compare them side by side.

Note: on the label, the Hot Pepper Sauce is rated a medium-hot, while the Flambeau sauce is off the chart in heat.

After pouring both on a side dish, I was surprised to find that I believe the Hot Pepper Sauce is actually hotter. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I mistaken, or is this a possibility? The tastes are almost identical...both made primarily of pickled scotch bonnets....but I believe the Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce is actually a little higher in the heat category. By the way, both are great sauces....if what you crave is the taste of the pepper itself. I would recommend either/both.

Josh

I love Matouk's sauces. I always assumed the Flambeau was the hottest but don't know for sure. Everyone I've tried lights me up pretty good.

staffing said:
I seem to recall a post on this board about what the hottest non-extract sauces are. I remember Tina saying that her husband included Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce (Salsa Picante) near the top. I mentioned, at the time, Matouk's Flambeau Sauce, which is supposed to be even hotter.
My local grocer got some of the Hot Pepper Sauce in a few weeks ago, so i thought I would compare them side by side.

Note: on the label, the Hot Pepper Sauce is rated a medium-hot, while the Flambeau sauce is off the chart in heat.

After pouring both on a side dish, I was surprised to find that I believe the Hot Pepper Sauce is actually hotter. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I mistaken, or is this a possibility? The tastes are almost identical...both made primarily of pickled scotch bonnets....but I believe the Matouk's Hot Pepper Sauce is actually a little higher in the heat category. By the way, both are great sauces....if what you crave is the taste of the pepper itself. I would recommend either/both.

Josh

By my calculations, that would make at least 2 of you, Josh.

Fwiw, I have personally handed out several hundred thousand different samples of hot sauce and I have seen people have very different reactions to different hot sauces. Some people think our Haba Heaven is our hottest sauce.

It all depends on what your tongue is used to.

T

Okay. I tried them again, side by side, last night. To me, I swear the hot pepper sauce has more heat than the Flambeau. They are nearly identical in flavor to this uneducated hillbilly tongue, but the Hot Pepper Sauce has more heat. Heads up for those who like a little tingle on the tongue and the taste of scotch bonnets.

Josh.

staffing said:
Okay. I tried them again, side by side, last night. To me, I swear the hot pepper sauce has more heat than the Flambeau. They are nearly identical in flavor to this uneducated hillbilly tongue, but the Hot Pepper Sauce has more heat. Heads up for those who like a little tingle on the tongue and the taste of scotch bonnets.

Josh.

Try it with fried chicken. :twisted:

T

Back