• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Matt and Chad's Douglah Cross

So I am back! I came home today and had a box waiting for me.
DSC_0054.jpg

Chad definitely hooked it up! I have over a dozen of great chilis to try and will work my way through a bunch of them in the next few days. I wanted to start with the Douglah Cross, Douglah Shape.
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Kinda looks like a evil red duck!!

And the inside view:
DSC_0049.jpg

Give me a break on the photos, just got a dSLR and these are my first batch of pictures on it. Still learning. But onto the evening's comedy:

So this one was hot. Really hot. Really, Really hot. The heat was about instant and only got worse. Once I cut it open it was lofting through the room. The distinct Chinense aroma was present throughout the entire kitchen. I could see the oils all throughout the chili, and was surprised that there wasnt much of a placenta. The inside was like a Bhut in that there are "ribs" that run the lenght of the chili that hold the seeds.

The taste on this one was...not my favorite. Actually, it was as bad as the chili was hot. No citrus, fruit, or chocolate...ok maybe I was reaching for the chocolate. You probably hear a bunch of guys talk about the "battery acid" taste that Douglahs usually have. Brain's Douglah that I tried recently actually tasted pretty good, and this was the complete opposite.

Overall, this was hotter than Kevin's Assam, but not by much. This didn't carry with it the level of appendage disability, however, I had a hart time breathing without pain and sitting still. My body had to keep moving so I didnt just sit and dwell on the pain.

Stomach pain, my arch-nemesis, poked its head in and out for a couple hours or so. It came in waves and wasnt as debilitating as the PGM's Chocolate Bhut, however, it was pretty nasty. Needless to say there was some discomfort associated with this chili. Well you win some you loose some.

Overall I give this beast a nasty two thumbs up and look forward to trying more over the next few days.

Thanks again Chad!

Matt

Hey Matt,

I wasnt trying to kill one of America's finest! I cant believe you kept taking bites of that thing, I allways stop after one! I think that pepper is going to be best for powders and bringing up the heat level of sauces, it sure dosnt have the best flavor, I can never taste it that much though as the heat just pulverizes me. No need to taste the other 2 pods as they will be the same, I just wanted to show the different shapes the plant is producing. Thanks, for suffering for our benefit (in more ways than one) I agree it has been hotter than my douglahs too, the only thing I have had to surpass it is the ButchT. Next year I get to try the primo and the brain strain, still working on the infinity. I cant wait to see how it stacks up.

Thanks again Matt,

Chad

A very good review. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Patrick! I appreciate it.

Hey Matt,

I wasnt trying to kill one of America's finest! I cant believe you kept taking bites of that thing, I always stop after one! I think that pepper is going to be best for powders and bringing up the heat level of sauces, it sure dosnt have the best flavor, I can never taste it that much though as the heat just pulverizes me. No need to taste the other 2 pods as they will be the same, I just wanted to show the different shapes the plant is producing. Thanks, for suffering for our benefit (in more ways than one) I agree it has been hotter than my douglahs too, the only thing I have had to surpass it is the ButchT. Next year I get to try the primo and the brain strain, still working on the infinity. I cant wait to see how it stacks up.

Thanks again Matt,

Chad

LOL! Yea that was definitely a beast. It stayed on my stomach for a while and even felt it this morning a bit. I am NOT looking forward to my after coffee "purge" if you will. But thanks again. I am planning on giving another one or two a try today. Thanks for the warning on the others. Really interested in the yellow (red) TScorp and the 7s. Ill let you know when the others are up.

Matt

Another excellent review by the Mattster. That one got ya real good :mouthonfire:

Can't wait to see you review all the other balls of joy :woohoo:

Great vid Matt, after watching I decided that I'm not growing any of them,  Not one I would just pop and chew in the garden as I'd be afraid of strangling myself in the fence trying to get to a water hose.
Anyway I'm glad to see you back looking forward to seeing more vids.

Back