food Matt's kinda Morrocan style chicken

:welcome:

This is a fairly simple recipe, that is relatively difficult to go wrong with and takes around 30-40 mins + prep time feeding 4 people. Cous-cous or wild rice are great with this chicken dish.

First of all I apologize in advance but I'm not so accurate when it comes to measurements in cooking, I tend to just cook to taste. So as for the herbs and spices etc, I can merely give a rough estimate you'll just have to add it bit by bit and taste!

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts,
1 large white onion or 2 smaller ones,
2 large bell peppers,
As many fresh, finely sliced chillies/pepper as you desire,
1 tin of chickpeas (drained with the salt-water set aside),
4 medium size tomatoes,
Around 100g of dried, soft apricots,
Clear honey,
Cinnamon, cumin, homemade Habanero flakes :), salt and pepper.

Diced the chicken breasts evenly and place in a bowl,add a spoon of clear honey and a pinch of salt mix together. Cover and store refrigerated overnight. This step is optional, the meal is great with or without the chicken being sat in honey.

Finely slice the onions, peppers tomatoes and apricots.

Start by frying off the onions adding a teaspoon or so of sugar and keeping them constantly moving.

Once the onions have become soft add all of the diced chicken, some chilli flakes/powder and some fresh chillies. Allow the chicken to cook somewhat before introducing the finely chopped tomatoes. Again, stirring regularly.

After 5 minutes or so, the tomatoes have reduced down a little. Cinnamon and cumin are added to taste along with the apricots. Can't really estimate how much I used of each spice, maybe a teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 of cumin. Probably a little more!

By this point, an amount of sauce may be forming in the bottom of the pan, small amounts of the brine from the chickpeas can be added to stop this from getting too thick, too quickly. The chopped bell peppers can be added at this point.

Keep it all cooking together and keep it moving, add more spices to taste if necessary.

Around 5-10 minutes before serving, add the tin of chickpeas. I leave this until fairly late, as I don't like chickpeas when they're too soft...but use your judgment and add when you see fit. After all they only need warming up really!

A small squirt of tomato puree can be added to thicken the sauce.

Serve with rice, cous-cous or whatever else you may desire!

In short, add to a pot in the following order using reasonable judgment as to when to add the next ingredient.
Onions.
Chicken, chilli flakes and fresh chillies.
Tomatoes, dried apricots, cumin and cinnamon.
Bell peppers.
Chickpeas.

Any suggestions as to improvement are welcome :)

Only just realised that I may have posted this in the wrong section, can a mod please move if so :)
I'm not sure whether my recipe uses 'exact measurements' :lol:
My bad.

As for now I don't have any!

I guess I'll be making it again in the next week or so, so I will try and remember to take some pictures.

If anyone else makes this, please add your pictures to the comments :)

Back