• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maturity dates

I was thinking (watch out). I have been wanting to try pinching my plants and I also need to make sure I don't put my plants out early, like I feel I may have done last season. So I am wondering if there is a place I can go to see the days to maturity for all (a lot) of the different peppers out there.

This season I grew about 30 plants and they consisted of 11 different varieties. Next year there will be as many as 180 plants and more than 11 varieties I would think, and would like to know what the plants maturity dates will be just so I can plan everything out accordingly.

Thank you all

I am not aware of any sites that have all the information you require in one place. Maybe you will have to google the names of the peppers seperatly.

The dates to maturity given on seed packs should only be used as a general guideline in my opinion. My growing tecniques gives numbers that are usually quite different than ones given, but you can usually still use these numbers to figure out which varieties are early or late.
My lastest maturing plants are usually: poblanos, chilaca(pasilla), Scotch bonnets, and Cascabels & Catarinas

Well see thats the problem though. I have no seeds packs. I have a ton of little tiny zip lock baggies with seeds in them. So all I really know is what the seeds are and thats it.

Well you are further north than I am. So this year I think I brought my plants out to early. Im thinking I should be bring them out in late April-mid May would be my guess. So based on what you have mentioned maybe I should start mine out about the same time then.

crazy8 said:
...So I am wondering if there is a place I can go to see the days to maturity for all (a lot) of the different peppers out there...

Crazy,

There are a few sites that list DTM, but you have to look each pepper up individually.

I do have a .xls spreadsheet I received from someone on another forum. I think it's just a compilation of all the research he had done up to that point. His main focus was tomatoes, but expanded it to include peppers as well. There are several hundred varieties listed. He completed the tomatoes but only got through about half the peppers.

Pepper info includes dtm, heat level, plant size, fruit color progression and a few other things.

I make no claim as to its' accuracy, but it might be something you can start with or expand upon.

If you're interested in it, send me a PM.:)

Crazy,

Glad the xls was of benefit.

Are you familiar with the Cornell University site?

I was fartin around on it the other day and realized you can sort on DTM. There's over 500 peppers listed, and after you get thru the N/A guys, they're in ascending (or descending) order. Might be useful if you're looking for a "short season" variety, for example.

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/mainSearch/showAll.php?searchCriteria=pepper&searchIn=0&ID=&refineByID=&sortBy=daysToMatLow&order=ASC&subSort=Update+Results

Back