• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maui purple ?

Definitely an annuum.  In fact it is an annuum var glabriusculum - same as tepin, pequin etc - the erect pedicels (flower stalks) with a crook neck  is typical of var. glabriusculum.

Absolute stunner and good in the kitchen too. (Reminds me of my wife!)

FreeportBum said:
I see it listed as annuum,chinense, chinense x frutescens, annuum x chinense.

Any thought's?

I would add annuum x frutescens :)
Im still puzzled on this one, no one knows for sure (see past threads on THP):
It's very hot, looks GREAT, tastes ok. A late producer.

Cya

Datil

I think the confusion comes in with the crook-neck perdicels.  ALL annuum var. glabriusculum have them - along with erect fruit. 

The only other viable discussion is around annuum var annuum x annuum var. glabriusculum - that would be the best answer to the elongated fruit.  BUT.  Goat's Weed is a pure var. glariusculum and it has elongated fruit. 

I feel most comfortable with designating ALL annuum with crook-neck pedicels and erect fruit as var. glabriusculum.

As a fanatical birdwatcher once told me"  "Common things occur most commonly"

Thanks Gents. I grew it last year and doing so again this year, it's a very interesting and beautiful plant.  I was surprised at the heat level, and the taste was much better then I expected.  

C.annuum L is my guess. Semiwild populations managed by humans have largely replaced true wild form annuums. And the variability you see in them is a result,ie. purple flowers,longer fruit,etc.

True annuum var. glabriusculum will have small,deciduous berries when ripe.

Pr0digal_son said:
C.annuum L is my guess. Semiwild populations managed by humans have largely replaced true wild form annuums. And the variability you see in them is a result,ie. purple flowers,longer fruit,etc.

thank you sir

Pr0digal_son said:

You are correct in stating that there are very few true wild forms of annuum.  I guess the only genuine form remaining is the tepin.

I wonder though if the purple-flowered plants are only as a result of human selection or if they are a naturally occurring variant.

Check out https://guiasdecampo.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/peppers-pimentas-of-roraima-project-%E2%80%93-inpaembrapamirr-1-capsicum-solanaceae-varieties-in-roraima-brazil/

The characteristic crook-neck of var glabriusculum is the stand out for me when assigning an annuum to this variety.

Back