• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maybe I'm joining the Big Leagues

I feel like I’m finally joining the big leagues in my chile career. I’m in my second year of growing some serious chiles, but so far I haven’t been able to contribute anything much to the chilehead community. Well, I’ve just enjoyed a vacation on St. John in the US Virgin Islands. I did some research before I went and found that there was one fresh produce grower on the island (Josephine’s). We paid her a visit on our first day there, bought good fresh greens etc., but I was mostly interested in what chiles were around. A big bag of mixed ripe chiles was produced, and I picked out a few red ones with a Serrano shape and orange ones with a habanero shape. We used them in some of our cooking. I thought they had good flavor and weren’t too hot, but my buddies didn’t share my opinion of the heat. So, I hope to grow them out and see what other folks think of them. I’ve got a picture, but I live in the sticks with a dial up connection, so I can’t post it. I’ll be pleased to email a picture if anyone has any interest. It’s nice to think that maybe they’re a little different to anything else that’s come out of the Caribbean.

I would be very interested to see them... perhaps a trip to the library for a faster connection speed? It is astounding when you start to see how many varieties of peppers there are. Every day I come across ones that I have never heard of before. And quite frankly, I am terrified of a lot of them! :)

StJohn2012017.jpg

StJohn2012015.jpg

As promised :)

The red ones look [at least to my untrained eye] like cayenne, while the orange ones definitely look like habs. As I stated, I am definitely no authority... but that is what I would guess. Looks like they are doing well! Thanks for the email with the pics as well. I am growing yellow and red cayenne this year... and some orange habanero, jalapeno, and I have a few bhut jolokia sprouts, but I haven't transplanted them yet... so it is kind of early to tell on those. They were out of a novelty can. For all I know, they are marigolds. :rofl:

Thanks Ken for posting the pictures. And thanks to everyone who's trying to identify them. Maybe I haven't discovered a new chile variety, but it was fun going on the hunt for chiles on a tropical island in the Caribbean.

Cheers, Tom

Back