• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Yesterday I dug out the Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato plant, hopefully I can get it to overwinter so I can harvest more pods. Only 3 pods were ripe, although it's a bit hard to see with all that corking 
laugh.png
 Need to check out if they contain viable seeds 
wink.png

IMAG3574_.jpg

IMAG3575_.jpg

Sorry for the watermark but I'm afraid it has become necessary 
sad.png

Congratulations Stefan on the newborn!  I can't recall if I already said that to you.  Amazing harvest and what should show up on Google Earth as the Jalapeno capital of the world!

I've been intending to watermark my dragonfly pics at least, but haven't yet.

Best of luck next season.

Mike

capsidadburn said:
Congratulations Stefan on the newborn!  I can't recall if I already said that to you.  Amazing harvest and what should show up on Google Earth as the Jalapeno capital of the world!

I've been intending to watermark my dragonfly pics at least, but haven't yet.

Best of luck next season.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. It's a shame to have to watermark your pictures but some people just don't have respect for others. You have a great weekend!

Devv said:
Now that's some corking!
It's insane but I love how it looks. Gonna taste it today. You have a good weekend, Scott.

GA Growhead said:
It looks like you will have to cut one open and spoon out the insides. Chewing on all that corking might freak me out.
:D

It did taste a bit weird, chewy. I have to honestly say however that the green ones didn't taste like a Jalapeno at all, it had that unripe green pepper taste, earthy. The heat was pretty low for a Jalapeno. The ripe one taste had this earthy taste as well besides being sweet. Not one I would grow for it's taste.

PeriPeri said:
Nice one Stefan - them pods still keep coming!
Thanks, Lourens. I also harvest my first Yellow Manzano and noticed a lot of ripening of on the C. Pubescens plants. Those are the last plants that are still inground and are doing just fine. I did cut them back a lot so that the pods get some more direct light.

roper2008 said:
Those jalapeno's look almost white.  Nice pics stefan.
Thanks Linda. To bad they didn't taste so great unripe, they didn't had the Jalapeno taste. Nonetheless it's an very interesting variety to grow out and also try to stabilize. Since I got 2 different plants out of the seeds I got from it's source, it's safe to say it's still not 100% stable. How are you doing, already making up a list for the 2014 season? :)
I actually got to harvest the first Yellow Manzano last week, forgot to mention this. Still have to taste it though.

IMAG3580.jpg

Also another one from an cross, maldivian orange x pimenta de neyde. Really tasty and good amount of heat. The plant and the color transitions of the pods is really beautiful. When they are overripe they tend to have this really light peach color, almost white. Anyway I will name this project Pimenta Lisa, after my daughter.
IMAG3579.jpg

meatfreak said:
Thanks Linda. To bad they didn't taste so great unripe, they didn't had the Jalapeno taste. Nonetheless it's an very interesting variety to grow out and also try to stabilize. Since I got 2 different plants out of the seeds I got from it's source, it's safe to say it's still not 100% stable. How are you doing, already making up a list for the 2014 season? :)

I actually got to harvest the first Yellow Manzano last week, forgot to mention this. Still have to taste it though.

IMAG3580.jpg

Also another one from an cross, maldivian orange x pimenta de neyde. Really tasty and good amount of heat. The plant and the color transitions of the pods is really beautiful. When they are overripe they tend to have this really light peach color, almost white. Anyway I will name this project Pimenta Lisa, after my daughter.
IMAG3579.jpg

Congrats on the yellow manzano.  I don't know if I'll attempt growing manzano's again, they hate my summers.  
As far as 2014 goes, my list will be long again, but no super hots (maybe I'll change my mind).  The hottest will
be scotch bonnets, chilitepins and tobacco types.  Most of my grow will be older hybrid bell type seed,  that I
will try to germinate, and sweet peppers.  It will be a boring list to some on here.
I'll be watching for you 2014 grow next year.

Congrats on the Manzano Stefan!

I hear they are hard to grow. I've been trying to get some seeds to germ, still hoping.

The Pimenta Lisa's look very nice, I love the colors.

Have a great week!

Penny said:
Love the color of those last peppers, very nice.
Thanks, it's indeed a very nice pepper. Curious on how it's gonna turn out next season.

roper2008 said:

Congrats on the yellow manzano.  I don't know if I'll attempt growing manzano's again, they hate my summers.  
As far as 2014 goes, my list will be long again, but no super hots (maybe I'll change my mind).  The hottest will
be scotch bonnets, chilitepins and tobacco types.  Most of my grow will be older hybrid bell type seed,  that I
will try to germinate, and sweet peppers.  It will be a boring list to some on here.
I'll be watching for you 2014 grow next year.
Sounds good, Linda. My list won't be so big next season, I'm taking a step back. Just some Jalapeno varieties for pickling and poppers. The manzano's didn't like our summer in the tunnel either, took a really long time before they started to set flowers. Had a lot of pods going but it froze tonight so I'm afraid those are goners :( 

Devv said:
Congrats on the Manzano Stefan!

I hear they are hard to grow. I've been trying to get some seeds to germ, still hoping.

The Pimenta Lisa's look very nice, I love the colors.

Have a great week!
They do take some time to grow indeed but I didn't find it any harder then other varieties. You just have to started earlier like you do with Chinense. You have a great week as well!

My two yellow and four red manzanos seem pretty happy OWing in the front room.  Hopefully I'll get some pods from them next year.

Hi Stefan,
   I had no luck germinating the Manzano seeds I sowed last year, but the seeds I collected from the plant Shane sent me have sprouted after only a week in soil. I wonder if they have a very short shelf life or if they just ripen so slowly that the pods get picked before they're viable... :think:
They're certainly a finicky plant to grow. Reading up on them on Wiki, I see they're native to the equatorial highlands of South and Central America where they get lots of light but relatively cool temperatures consistently. The Wiki page also said that they only grow under cultivation outside of their narrow native range, so it takes human intervention for that to happen. Maybe it was just too warm for your Manzanos in the polytunnel at midsummer, so they kept dropping flowers until it cooled down to their liking.

Sawyer said:
My two yellow and four red manzanos seem pretty happy OWing in the front room.  Hopefully I'll get some pods from them next year.
With that head start I'm sure you have a good chance to get some pods of them :) I wanted to OW them also but once I tasted them and did not like the taste I decided to leave them in the tunnel. I cut them back and just see what happens. Also did the same with an Chinense but I put bubble foil around it for extra isolation, it's an experiment.

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
   I had no luck germinating the Manzano seeds I sowed last year, but the seeds I collected from the plant Shane sent me have sprouted after only a week in soil. I wonder if they have a very short shelf life or if they just ripen so slowly that the pods get picked before they're viable... :think:
They're certainly a finicky plant to grow. Reading up on them on Wiki, I see they're native to the equatorial highlands of South and Central America where they get lots of light but relatively cool temperatures consistently. The Wiki page also said that they only grow under cultivation outside of their narrow native range, so it takes human intervention for that to happen. Maybe it was just too warm for your Manzanos in the polytunnel at midsummer, so they kept dropping flowers until it cooled down to their liking.
I don't think they have a short shelf life because the seeds I used from the CGN 22796 were 10 years old. Sure they took about 14 days to germinate but they all germinated. I think your right about the pods being picked to early before the seeds are fully viable. I'm not gonna try them again since I didn't think they taste so great, it could be the specific variety but both the yellow and red one I tasted were like a bitter bell pepper. Not even a sweet taste or something.

Back