• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak's 2017 Glog

So I've started the new season to, early January I did a poor attempt at some Wild varieties but I lost my patience and after a month I tossed them out hehe. Only the Tovarii germinated and is growing, very slowly. Although I didn't wanna have to much plants, the list went over 100 but I brought it back to 88  :rolleyes:  Besides all my projects I also wanted to grow some regular varieties and old seedstock like the Hab Yucatan and CGN varieties. Exactly those are the ones that haven)t germinated yet after 12 days, so there's still time. All others have close to 100% germ rate. I was aiming at 5 plants of each F-2 phenotype project. The "new" F-2 grow out, 10 seeds. Still not much to see all possible variations but I got a small amount of people helping me out again  :shh:  I also got some bigger plants that I sowed last year end of season for an early start. Was hoping to speed up growing out multiple generations in a year that way. Since the days are still rather short I ordered some LED grow lights as an extra during the evening. Like last year I aim to plant out 3rd week of May again. Of course it all depends on the weather, so far we've had much colder weather then previous years.

BBG7 White #1 F-3
BBG7 White #2 F-3
BBG7 White #3 F-3
Bhut Jolokia Pale F-2
CGN 16994
CGN 20806
CGN 22835
CGN 23252
CGN 23257
CGN 24344
Greek Pepperoncini
Guajillo
Habanero Yucatan White
Jalapeño Jalafuego
Jalapeño Mucho Nacho
Jalapeño Peguis
Jeromin
Marga
Marma
MFPJ10 #1 F-2
MFPJ10 #10 F-2
MFPJ10 #12 F-2
MFPJ10 #7 F-2
MFPJ12 #10 F-2
MFPJ12 #11 F-2
MFPJ15 F-2
MFPJ16 F-2
MFPJ18 #1 F-2
MFPJ18 #6 F-2
MFPJ19 #3 F-2
MFPJ19 #4 F-2
MFPJ2 #1 F-2
MFPJ2 #5 F-2
MFPJ2 #8 F-2
MFPJ21 #10 F-2
MFPJ21 #9 F-2
MFPJ23 #1#1 F-2
MFPJ23 #2#1 F-2
MFPJ24 #1#1 F-2
MFPJ24 #2#8 F-3
MFPJ24 #3#2 F-2
MFPJ24 #3#6 F-2
MFPJ25 #2 F-2
MFPJ26 #1#2 F-2
MFPJ26 #1#5 F-2
MFPJ26 #2#1 F-2
MFPJ26 #2#3 F-2
MFPJ27 #1 F-2
MFPJ27 #4 F-2
MFPJ28 #2#1 F-3
MFPJ29 #2 F-2
MFPJ3 #2 F-2
MFPJ3 #3 F-2
MFPJ30 #10 F-2
MFPJ30 #3 F-2
MFPJ30 #7 F-2
MFPJ31 F-2
MFPJ32 #1 F-4
MFPJ32 #3 #1 F-3
MFPJ32 #3 #2 F-2
MFPJ32 #3 #3 F-2
MFPJ35 F-3
MFPJ36 F-2
MFPJ37 #2 F-2
MFPJ37 #3 F-2
MFPJ39 F-3
MFPJ40 F-2
MFPJ41 F-2
MFPJ42 #2 F-2
MFPJ43 F-2
MFPJ44 F-2
MFPJ48 F-2
MFPJ49 F-1
MFPJ5 #1 F-4
MFPJ5 #9 F-4
MFPJ50 F-1
MFPJ8 #1 F-2
MFPJ8 F-2
MFPJ9 #1#2 F-2
MFPJ9 #1#3 F-2
MFPJ9 #1#6 F-2
PI 439452
Pimenta Lisa F-5
Pimento de Padron
Sugar Rush Peach "Peppa"
Tovarii
Turkish Snake Pepper
White Giant C.

Not much interesting to see yet besides seedlings :) you can see where I sowed the CGN's
20170223_223157.jpg

Pimenta Lisa F-5 all purple seedlings as they should be, so no need to remove green ones.
20170219_133240.jpg

MFPJ31 F-2 all purple left and green on the right. This is the first time growing the F-2 so nice to see variation showing already.
20170219_133302.jpg

Something else I love to do and have been trying to perfect for a year now is baking bread. In this case, Sourdough bread with pickled Jalapeno and cheese.
I really prefer working and eating sourdough over the dry yeast. Much more flavor and the fermenting of the dough makes it easier for our bodies to break it down. Luckily the rest of the family likes it to  :lol:
20170221_115614.jpg

Nice list. White bubblegums, CGN's and homemade hybrids. What's not to like? :P 

I have really enjoyed all the photos of BBG7 colors you have grown previously, so keep up the good work.

Good luck and may your hybrids grow to what you want them to be.

Fantastic Stefan. That's a excellent list. I love your project crosses. I hope your seedstock seeds sprout for ya. I'm yawning your two plant per hole method. It makes things more easy. I've got the hoophouse ready. Just need to cover with plastic. In do time. Will be following with enthusiasm, as every year.

Good luck Sir.

Don't over work that back. Pace yourself.

Take care.

Chuck

What is the MFPJ? I assume you're involved with half of the cross.

And did you grow out 50 F1 plants, as I see they're numbered?
I thought it was more important to grow out a lot of F2 plants, and not so much F1.
Or is it, if you have two unstable varieties crossing, even the F1 would have some variance?

Sorry, I thought I sort of understood this whole crossing of genetics thing, but have never really experienced it first hand...
I guess I'll just have to try it out, to truly understand it.
I feel like I learn things best by fucking them up enough times that I know what not to do...anyways

FreeportBum said:
Good to see you back, looking forward to following your glog. 

Cheers 
Cheers, man. I will try to update it more frequently then I did last year.

jedisushi06 said:
nice list and bread. 
moruga welder said:
NICE !      :party:

Thanks!

Ferby said:
Nice list. White bubblegums, CGN's and homemade hybrids. What's not to like? :P

I have really enjoyed all the photos of BBG7 colors you have grown previously, so keep up the good work.

Good luck and may your hybrids grow to what you want them to be.
I'm planning on renaming and releasing the white bbg's by the end of this season. They've grown true in color last season for everyone, but there were some small differences in podshapes which I'm now trying out. I'm hoping even more and new BBG7 colors will show up this season, growing out F2 seeds from F1 last year so should provide for a lot of new phenotypes :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Fantastic Stefan. That's a excellent list. I love your project crosses. I hope your seedstock seeds sprout for ya. I'm yawning your two plant per hole method. It makes things more easy. I've got the hoophouse ready. Just need to cover with plastic. In do time. Will be following with enthusiasm, as every year.

Good luck Sir.

Don't over work that back. Pace yourself.

Take care.

Chuck
Cheers, Chuck. If I don't count the old seeds, I'm over 95% germ rate of my own harvested seeds. I'm actually keeping it at 5 (Chinense) plants per hole this season ;) Last season I did 10 and it worked okay but of course not all seeds germ at the same time and growth rate is different so some stayed to small. With Annuums I didn't had this issue, they just find their way to the light and 10 plants weren't an problem at all. I bet you can even do 15 per hole when it comes to Annuum and still be able to see all possible phenotypes.

The hoophouse looks good! Strong looking frame work there and be sure to get strong plastic as the wind can easily tear it when its to weak. I believe mine is 200 micron. We've had a storm yesterday but mine are still in good shape. I buried the sheet about 3ft, which might be a lot but it's not going anywhere :D

I've finally know the cause of my back problems and luckily it's not damage or nerves. It can actually be cured quite easily but just needs time to heal and recover. With work pressure and life... not always easy but I'm gonna work on it and be sure to get it back in shape before the season really starts :)

Jubnat said:
What is the MFPJ? I assume you're involved with half of the cross.

And did you grow out 50 F1 plants, as I see they're numbered?
I thought it was more important to grow out a lot of F2 plants, and not so much F1.
Or is it, if you have two unstable varieties crossing, even the F1 would have some variance?

Sorry, I thought I sort of understood this whole crossing of genetics thing, but have never really experienced it first hand...
I guess I'll just have to try it out, to truly understand it.
I feel like I learn things best by f**king them up enough times that I know what not to do...anyways
MFPJ is just a short for MeatFreak ProJect I've named my crosses. Each cross/project gets its own number so MFPJ50 means that it's my 50th cross/hybrid. The # behind it means phenotype, 1, 2, etc. Within these phenotypes you get variation to and when it's something interesting another # goes behind it with an number. So for example MFPJ32, when I grew out the F-2 it gave me a couple phenotype. 2 were interesting, so I grew those out #1 and #3 #1 has been growing more true last year and #3 gave me a couple color variations which I tagged #2 and #3. Now I liked those colors. Only the color was different in this case. So then you get MFPJ32 #3 #1 which grew true so F-3 this year, then MFPJ32 #3 #2 F-2 since it was an new color varation. And yes, even this year the MFPJ32 #3 #2 can give something completely different again which could be very interesting. The possibilities are endless and if I ran across something nice I'm not gonna just toss it away. I will save the seeds and see if I will grow it out next year or the year after.

When it comes to growing out F-2, you are right. It's best to grow out as many possible plants of that. F-1 I keep at max 3 just in case something happens with 1 or 2 plants, you never know. And yes, if you cross two unstable hybrids you will see variation in F-1 already. F-2 can be totally different.

I've learned most from own experience to, of course I've read the basics but experiencing first hand is the best way to learn :) Hope this helps you out a bit?

Glad to hear you've got your back issues under management. Health is important.

Good to hear your house is holding up. How long is it again? How many rows? And what's your general spacing? Mine is 12x20ft and I have 4 rows. I'm thinking it might be to many for the size. More is better, right? LOL! Sorry for all the questions. Was basing my hoophouse off of yours. Thanks!

I have some strong plastic. I don't think I'll be able to keep it on all year. I'm thinking Spring and Fall. My temperatures are around mid 90f/32c to 100f/37c in the day time. My night time temps are usually 40degrees cooler than day. This will be new to me this year. I'll be using shade cloth as well, as my sun at this elevation is brutal. I may be able to have open walls to keep temps down in the day. I don't want to cook the plants. I'm using solar/plastic mulch, so that should keep my ground warmer at night.

Take care. Spring is right around the corner.

Chuck

Nice to see you back Stefan!
Compact list (well relatively :) ) and early start it's a winning strategy!
I should still have some Pimenta Lisa F4 from you in my stash, i will give it a try sooner or later...

Have a nice season

Fabrizio - Datil

God to see you're back in the saddle Stefan!

Very nice starts! AND glad you have a handle on the back issue. I do rehab on mine 5 days a week for the last 32 years...LOL The rehab time is well spent if you can do what you want to without suffering. Trying to NOT act like I'm still 20 is the hard part ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Glad to hear you've got your back issues under management. Health is important.

Good to hear your house is holding up. How long is it again? How many rows? And what's your general spacing? Mine is 12x20ft and I have 4 rows. I'm thinking it might be to many for the size. More is better, right? LOL! Sorry for all the questions. Was basing my hoophouse off of yours. Thanks!

I have some strong plastic. I don't think I'll be able to keep it on all year. I'm thinking Spring and Fall. My temperatures are around mid 90f/32c to 100f/37c in the day time. My night time temps are usually 40degrees cooler than day. This will be new to me this year. I'll be using shade cloth as well, as my sun at this elevation is brutal. I may be able to have open walls to keep temps down in the day. I don't want to cook the plants. I'm using solar/plastic mulch, so that should keep my ground warmer at night.

Take care. Spring is right around the corner.

Chuck
No problem, Chuck. Feel free to ask questions, makes me (over)think how I do things which can lead to improvements to ;) My polytunnel is 66ft long and 16ft wide but I split them up into 2, the pepper being the biggest which is 33ft long. I put the path in the middle cause its easier for me to walk. So I got 3 rows on the left and 3 on the right. My spacing is 2ft both ways, each row has 19 plantholes so 114 in total. I only try to use the the first 2 rows near the path since the outer rows are very hard to reach once the plants get big  :rolleyes: even if I would have more spacing they just fill up the free space. I always put all Chinense when possible at the left side cause they get the most sun that way and they Annuum would take away the sun if I would put them there (taller). I got about 88 on the list so I'm gonna have to put some Annuum in my other poly. Stuff like the Padron, Turkish Snake, Jalapeno's and Greek Pepperoni.

Today I noticed that 2 CGN's have germinated so I'm happy about that, interesting stuff!

Datil said:
Nice to see you back Stefan!
Compact list (well relatively  ) and early start it's a winning strategy!
I should still have some Pimenta Lisa F4 from you in my stash, i will give it a try sooner or later...

Have a nice season

Fabrizio - Datil

Give it a try, Fabrizio ;) How did the Bhuts germ for you?

SL3 said:
I want that bread!
:P

Malarky said:
bread looks awesome dude. you should photo the process and share the recipe!
Recipe is simply but I'm not gonna photo the process. To much work for me hehe :P

300 gram strong flour
190 gram lukewarm water
90 gram active sourdough starter
6.5 gram sea salt

Thats my basic sourdough recipe. From there I add the jalapeno's and cheese or whatever I want.

Trident chilli said:
Stefan at last you show your hand .... great to see all those varieties hopefully there is a bonnet x in there somewhere. This will be a glog I will be checking in with regularly... All the very best for your grow and mind that back
Hey John, thanks for dropping by  :) In case of bonnets you have to keep tabs on the MFPJ26 and MFPJ27 hybrids  ;) They got some Bonnet parentage. MFPJ26 #2#1 was one of my favorites last season, I hope it will grow true again and go Peach when ripe. 

Devv said:
God to see you're back in the saddle Stefan!

Very nice starts! AND glad you have a handle on the back issue. I do rehab on mine 5 days a week for the last 32 years...LOL The rehab time is well spent if you can do what you want to without suffering. Trying to NOT act like I'm still 20 is the hard part ;)
Thanks Scott, your right about the rehab part. I should have accepted that a while ago but .. just to stubborn I guess ;)

stickman said:
Glad to see you back Stefan! Take care of yourself and your growing pepper empire. That's some grow list!
Will do, Rick! Thanks for stopping by.

meatfreak said:
Give it a try, Fabrizio ;) How did the Bhuts germ for you?
I will Stefan. Bhut germination was so so past year, i've slightly improved my method now. Cappuccino Bhut germinated well but i was so late that i've seen no pods...
I must give a new try to both Mustard and Cappuccino before seeds become too old ;)

Be well

Fabrizio

Datil said:
I will Stefan. Bhut germination was so so past year, i've slightly improved my method now. Cappuccino Bhut germinated well but i was so late that i've seen no pods...
I must give a new try to both Mustard and Cappuccino before seeds become too old ;)

Be well

Fabrizio
Both have a long season, especially the Cappuccino. They are also harder to germinate, can take longer then usual. Good luck!

Back