Methods of deseeding and saving seeds

I am sorry if this is a well known topic.  I did some searches and couldn't find what I wanted.

So, the way I deseed a pepper in general, is to remove the seeds any way I can and then I put them in a plastic drinking cup to dry.  This seems to work for the most part.  I have noticed, however, after I stack up a bunch of cups, that the airflow decreases for the bottom cups and sometimes, those seeds might start to get moldy.  Once the seeds are moldy, I assume they are bad and I throw them out. 

So, it seems to me that I can be doing a better job at this.  Should I use a paper towel and then let them dry for a day or so?  Do I need to rinse in water or something?  Can I save the moldy seeds somehow?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I use an old window screen that the seeds can be spread out on in a single layer that way they get good airflow all around including the bottom and dry quickly (moisture is the enemy so you want to get rid of it as quickly as possible ) and the window screens are small enough that the seeds do not fall through (you just have to be careful if doing several varieties to keep them separated and avoid dropping the screen if you don't want them mixed !! )

As far as moldy goes if you just rewash them in a bleach/water solution and let them soak for 30 minutes or so and then redry it will kill off the mold and as long as it has not spread long enough to get into the seed (normally it is only on the outer seed coat and the inner seed is still fine) they will dry and be fine so no need to throw them out if they are ones you wanted to grow - ( I also soak them again when ready to plant just to remove the chance of them getting more mold growth before germinating)

I've used both window screens and coffee filters (according to the quantity of seeds I'm drying) but my normal go to is CHEAP unglazed white paper plates. They have more weight than coffee filters or paper towels and are less likely to get blown away by someone walking by them.

I use plastic solo cups, they are cheap at Costco, and are good against accidental spills or breezes. I always make sure to immdeiately mark the cups with the variety, since I usually deseed multiple varieties at once. I don't stack them. I just set them side by side until dry. I do give the cups a shake, and swirl the seeds around inside a couple of times a week to ensure even drying.

i put them on a paper towel for a day ( marking the name ) then on a paper plate ( with the name written on it ) for  2 to 3 weeks . swirling them around at least once a day . i also put on a screen with 2 small fans below pointing up , this dries them very thoroughly !     :onfire:

Have tried what others say works well for them, but my kids or dogs always seem to dump them.  Now I use small flat rate boxes from the post office.  Cut them up, lay them out, close the box and just sort of shake every day or so.  Works great.  I think drying slowly increases germination rate.  Closer to what mother nature does.

joogiebop509 said:
I use recycled unbleached coffee filters they form a cup absorbs excess liquid and you can stack and lable the filter and at $3.78 for 400-500 per pack why not right
+1

I have been using cone coffee filters. Great absorbency. Label with a Sharpie pen. Fold over the top opening.

I cut the placenta holding the seeds out of the pod as much intact as possible, then wrap it up loosely in a paper towel and put it in a legal size envelope with the name written on it.

I put the envelopes on a high shelf close to the ceiling, and leave for the winter.

I have a cat so I end up with a ton of empty cat food cans, they are lined with food grade plastic.... I throw the seeds in a can and place on window seal fr a few days and they are completely dry.   There is something about the aluminum that evaporates moisture, I have filled a cat food container approx 1/2 way full with seeds before and they still dried without rotting in about 3 days. 

I have never had any trouble with rotting using the cans. 

Buzzman19 said:
I have a cat so I end up with a ton of empty cat food cans, they are lined with food grade plastic.... I throw the seeds in a can and place on window seal fr a few days and they are completely dry.   There is something about the aluminum that evaporates moisture, I have filled a cat food container approx 1/2 way full with seeds before and they still dried without rotting in about 3 days. 

I have never had any trouble with rotting using the cans.
I never thought of saving those cans when my kitty was young but alas she's on dry food now :'(

Back