• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic MG Organic Soil

Went to the store the other day to pick up some soil. I know that most people dont like to use Miracle Grow products, but it was all they had and I needed to transplant my seedlings. So anyway, on the back of the bag it has a .10-.05-.05 nutrient analysis.

When I see people posting about fertilizer, the numbers are much higher like 10-20-30. So does that mean that the soil I bought does not have enough fertilizer in it for my plants to thrive off of? And should I go buy a fertilizer to mix in with the soil before I finish potting up?

You can use the water soluable miracle grow 15-30-15 and dilute it to about 1/4 or 1/2 strength and that will give them the nutrients they need.

Don't look at the numbers as much as the ratio. .10-.05-.05 is basically the same as 2-1-1 or 20-10-10 but you'd just need more. The fertilizer you have should contain plenty of nutrients for probably the first 3 weeks and then you can add compost or diluted well balanced nutrients

I hate the stuff. It's like concrete once it is wet and then dried. it also has too many big chunks of crap. I will be making my own nxt week. i no longer buy anything that is made by MG.
just my .02.

chilehead70301 said:
I hate the stuff. It's like concrete once it is wet and then dried. it also has too many big chunks of crap. I will be making my own nxt week. i no longer buy anything that is made by MG.
just my .02.

You mean not on purpose. Most likely you still buy Scotts products, around here its impossible not to.

Personally I like it but it is too expensive for me based on how much I would need. Alot of times people get the garden soil rather than the potting mix and that is where the problems come from. Garden soil is nasty hard compacted crap that when used in pots causes nothing but problems. Their potting mix I have never had any bad things to say about.

I bought MG organic potting mix and it's no good. I try not to buy Scotts, if i can help it. I am limited as to what I can buy as Lowes and HD carry every type of MG product they make. That's why I think I will just make my own potting mix. It may not be the best but I'm sure it will be better than MG.

I have some seeds planted in MG Organic Potting Mix and the soil is very hard. I'm surprised the seeds even sprouted though the crap. I did buy Sta Green potting mix and it seems to be a little better than MG but not the best. Too bad I can't get pro mix here. I guess cow patties it will be. Never tasted a pepper that tasted like crap. LOL.

I bought a bag of MG potting mix when it was the only choice - it had a big rock in it. Took a picture and sent it to customer service. Oh, they promised to refund my money - strange they seem to not reply to any messages since then.

Scott's still controls the vast majority of the market in Greater Cincinnati but Ferti-lome is making strides, at least among nurseries and ladscape centers.

Mike

chilehead70301 said:
I bought MG organic potting mix and it's no good. I try not to buy Scotts, if i can help it. I am limited as to what I can buy as Lowes and HD carry every type of MG product they make. That's why I think I will just make my own potting mix. It may not be the best but I'm sure it will be better than MG.

I have some seeds planted in MG Organic Potting Mix and the soil is very hard. I'm surprised the seeds even sprouted though the crap. I did buy Sta Green potting mix and it seems to be a little better than MG but not the best. Too bad I can't get pro mix here. I guess cow patties it will be. Never tasted a pepper that tasted like crap. LOL.

Making your own mix is best and easy to do as well. I take 1 big bale of peat, 2 40 lb bags composted cow manure, 1 30 lb bag of composted chicken manure and 2 bags MG perlite. Very light and nutrient rich mix for me, well draining and wicks water up well for bottom watering.

Back