MH or HPS?!

I don't use inside lights as I live in central Florida and can pretty much leave mine out all year but....

I would think that if you're shelling out that kinda cash the difference isn't going to be that noticeable.

However I could most definitely be wrong. I will leave that to the more experienced growers.

Generally, the spectrum of HPS is thought best for flowering and the MH is thought best for veg.  Thing is, I do not think those general thoughts are all that accurate for tropical plants.  Most of the chili are either tropical or very close.  Being so close to the equator, I am not all that sure there is a major seasonal shift in natural light.  So I am not sure chili would respond well to the standard.

I am sure someone else can explain this better, but it has something to do with the angle to the sun and the way the sunlight moves threw the atmosphere.  Different angles means different volumes of atmosphere to cut threw so different spectrums.  Again, i am not the best at explaining it.

In the winter, what I am mainly doing is keeping my best examples alive while I grow the new season from cuttings and seed stock.  So I went with shelf growing on both sides of a rectangular room.  Those use natural daylight flourescents.  Then down the center above the larger plants which are on the floor, there is HPS moving on a shuttle.  The result seems to work better for veg than MH alone.

The problem as I see it is most of the information on this topic comes from folk growing something entirely different, so i do not think the norms still hold true.

Peppers are definitely not cannabis, but still respond to different intensities and spectrum of light. Full spectrum is always ideal, no matter the plant, such as willard's use of MH/HPS together. CMH/CMD produces a very complete spectrum, but are still pricey. If you're starting them indoors for an eventual plant-out, it isn't as important and you can pick your fancy. Some people prefer MH over HPS for the difference in visual appearance.

Mig, am thinking you are dead on accurate.  The tech is so very close that I think I am the only one at the hydroponic store that does not wink while saying the words pepper or tomato.  In particular, the yield per square foot and yield per watt.  I have never tried to figure that for peppers because mainly I grow them out for their fruit.  With tomato, it is all about the most seedlings under the least light so they are ready to sell for a buck a piece right before last frost.

I tried the route of selling larger, lusher, higher dollar tomato but got cut to the bone by everyone else doign the dollar a seedling thing.  Of course the real money is in the lawsuit when the police throw a flash bang into my lving room because my electric bill is too high.  Its not really that high.  Hopefully, next year it will be the propane bill because I want to see if a greenhouse with heat is less expensive than indoors with lights.

Back