• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Microbial question

I decided to put this here I didn't want to clog up the aact thread above with a question about something that may or may not work. Anyway I have a few different types of bottled microbes. Mammoth P, microbe life, tarantula and piranha to name a few. Now tbh I've spent a lot of money brewing up some bad ass teas and the owner of my local grow shop says I should add these to it . He's saying it will increase the number of microbial strains I'm breeding. Thing is he's sometimes I feel like they come up with ways at these shops to get in your wallet. Makes sense to me tho because I understand the concept of breeding microbes.. Anyway I'm just curious what you guys think and could there be some sort of microbial war that I start if I do? I really don't want to take some of these super charged bugs and breed an army that's going to destroy the microbial herd I have already introduced to my soil as my plants are thriving.

Mike

i have 0 experience with aact but i'm a fan of keeping it simple. i don't like having to add multiple different specialty products to my schedule so i wouldn't do that.
Could you test it in a small separate container to see if you actually get any benefits?

juanitos said:
i have 0 experience with aact but i'm a fan of keeping it simple. i don't like having to add multiple different specialty products to my schedule so i wouldn't do that.
Could you test it in a small separate container to see if you actually get any benefits?
Good idea! I was planning on picking up a microscope soon because I wanted to study the different kinds of bacterial and fungal strains in the aact I'm already using. Suppose it couldn't hurt to try and breed these in just water with a little molasses and see what happens before I decided to try and alter nature with the samples I've acquired!

My theory would be whatever your big guns out perform, they were superior to anyway so good on them.  A plant actually dictates what inhabits its rhizosphere in the long run by what it chooses to secrete from its roots so its doubtful anything bad could happen..

Personally, as the most "sure" and economical strategy, I would recommend inoculating the roots directly in the soil medium with a solution of fancy, expensive cultures of pro-biotic micro-organisms.  For brewing a helathy supplemental microbial culture in AACT, all that is necessary is raw compost, manure, or worm castings, which will be sufficiently alive with microbes in themselves.  These microbes will all interact in various ways to form the rhizosphere, where, as topsmoke said, the plant will draw from various different networks at its own leisure.  Diversity is a good thing!!  This season, after researching tomatoes and microbiota, I have decided to go with an actinovate, myco grow, and biota max root dip at the final transplant.  I will also continue to feed AACT in the form of worm tea/molasses as a supplemental inoculation throughout the season.

smileyguy697 said:
I decided to put this here I didn't want to clog up the aact thread above with a question about something that may or may not work. Anyway I have a few different types of bottled microbes. Mammoth P, microbe life, tarantula and piranha to name a few. Now tbh I've spent a lot of money brewing up some bad ass teas and the owner of my local grow shop says I should add these to it . He's saying it will increase the number of microbial strains I'm breeding. Thing is he's sometimes I feel like they come up with ways at these shops to get in your wallet. Makes sense to me tho because I understand the concept of breeding microbes.. Anyway I'm just curious what you guys think and could there be some sort of microbial war that I start if I do? I really don't want to take some of these super charged bugs and breed an army that's going to destroy the microbial herd I have already introduced to my soil as my plants are thriving.

Mike

There are ALWAYS microbial wars going on. It's krill or be krilled.

I couldn't put it better than Noah.

If you want to mess with the grow store owner, ask him his opinion on adding Trichoderma (mycoparasite) species to tea (most hydro store inocculants are 90% Trichoderma.

Apply directly to bare roots, compost tea is supposed to be cheap.

microbeorganics.com If you haven't been there, go now ;)

I have done tons and tons of research on teas. And brewed hundreds of teas in hundreds of different ways. I have also spoken to both Advanced Nutrients who makes Piranha and Plant Success who makes Great White and Orca. If you add it before or during bubbling you will shred and kill the majority of the Fungus. And they said that even if you don't kill the Fungi that they will eat and consume most of the bacteria you are trying to multiply by brewing tea in the first place. They said add it after the air is turned off right before you water it in. The bacteria and Fungi in these bottled Innoculents are super aggressive.

Back