smokers MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
A few more random things I did:

-set an 18" pizza pan directly in the bottom of the barrel to catch any loose ashes

-used "black" steel wall/floor flanges and threaded couplers (3/4") for the vents on the bottom, and for the 2 exhaust pipes to clamp to on the top. Had to shim those with stainless shims (shiny rectangles on underside of lid) to get the pipes to stay at 90* to the top (they wanted to lean). Another bigger flange and cap (1&1/2"?) to cover the bung

-used the same high-temp, food grade caulk to secure 1/4" (maybe it was 3/8"?) wood stove rope gasket to bottom rim of the lid to prevent leaks. Also filled any cavities around the inside of the flanges/vents heavily with caulk

-Grand Total was something like $515 (barrel and hardware/supplies). Took (estimating here) roughly 40 hours to build

Any questions, feel free to ask!

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
Hotrod64 said:
Did you keep some of that char to sprinkle on the coals? would add some great flavour.
Nah, I tried talking the wife into switching out the potpourri in the bathroom for the char, but she shot that down REAL quick, haha!

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
Thanks guys! This project was a lot of fun, and very rewarding

Hey HopsNBarley, "Getcha' pull"..... is that from Dimebag Darrell?

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
MikeUSMC said:
Now you're gonna get me in trouble for double posting pics :rofl:

I posted a few pics in the community smoker thread, then it started getting a lot of attention, so I decided to start my own, here. Figured I'd show the build too.

Here's the original post I made, with food pics:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/21961-post-pics-of-your-smoker-or-grill/?p=1427179

All future cooks I do, I'll post in this one :)

OK, I didn't see that. Thought this was an original thread.
Nice grub master.

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
No master here, dude. Hahaha
Believe me, I'm still a rookie. I don't even think I have a dozen cooks under my belt yet!

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
Still haven't done a brisket yet (on this smoker), but I plan on doing a small corned beef brisket on Friday (4-5lbs for me, my wife, and the kids). I'll probably do a big one on Memorial Day (big picnic)

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
No, I didn't brine it at home (that's why it's not in the DIY Corned Beef thread ;) ) Either way, it came out fantastic. Never smoked one before, and I doubt I'll ever boil one again. I'm not sure how to embed a video on my phone yet, but I followed Malcom Reed's recipe from his channel, "How to BBQ Right." If you've never seen his stuff, he has some great recipes; especially his carñitas. Ok, back to St. Paddy's Day

4.5lbs

Brisket went on, now prepping the cabbage

Get brisket up to 130*, fill pan halfway with water and cover with foil to braise; cabbage goes on

Brisket at 150*, add potatoes, carrots, onion. Cover back up with foil, back on smoker

Brisket up to 195*, veggies and cabbage should be nice and soft (I let the brisket rest in a cooler, wrapped in towels for a bit)

Cabbage was AWESOME; super buttery and tender, but still had a little crunch

Got my Boos Block in the mail yesterday ;)

Carved

Plated

Great meal! Happy St. Paddy's Day! Check Malcom Reed out if you haven't already! :cheers:

MikeUSMC

Extreme Member
Yeah, you ain't kiddin'! I'm really looking forward to sandwiches. I can't decide if I want to make Reubens or just have sandwich melts with Swiss, and mustard mixed with CaJohn's Fatalii Fire :party: