• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense mild Capsicum chinense peppers

Which mild Capsicum chinense pepper is your favorite?  Which ones did you find less appealing?  How did they compare? Do they all taste about the same?  Are some of these the same peppers with different names?

Habanada
Trinidad pimento
Aji dulce yellow 
Aji dulce red
Trinidad perfume
Grenanada seasoning
Tobago Seasoning
Venezuelan Tiger
Sweet Datil

I find the taste of NuMex Suave Orange and Habanada kinda off-putting. Is this really the same flavor people like in habaneros?

Trinidad perfume blew me away, but it has almost no sugar. It's a funny pepper.

Aji dulce is probably the best tasting.

Over the years I've found that "Aji Dulce" isn't a strain as much as it is a "type". I've seen c. Chinenese as well as c. Baccatum with that name. Consider that just translates to "Pepper Sweet".

Anyway, I think my favorite heatless Chinense so far has been the Habanada, honestly. I really dug it. Itve grown just about everything on your list but the Habanada got me. Just a preference, I guess.

Im trying habanada this year as well. None of the others ive tried yet really thrilled me. Too small and seedy to be much use. All were pretty bland as well except Bolsa de Dulce which had some heat and flavor. But is a hybrid cross.

Venezuelan Tiger, Grenada Seasoning and Trinidad Perfume would be my top picks from your list, in that order. And no, they do not all taste about the same. Those three are quite different from each other.

NuMex Suave Orange and Habanada are both good choices if you want a pepper that tastes similar to an Orange Hab but with little to no heat.

Aji Jobito was slightly disappointing to me. It had a pleasant sweetness and a mild chinense flavor, but that was about all that I got from it.

Sweet Datil didn"t do much for me either. Just a sweet chinense taste and not much else. Not bad at all, just a little bit of a letdown when compared to something like the Venezuelan Tiger.

Grenada seasoning is the other i want to try. Trinidad Perfume to me were just way too small and bland. I really want that orange hab flavor with little to no heat for spice blends and sofrito. Having to chop 50 tiny peppers and deseed them was a chore.

Anyone have an opinion on Aji Margariteno in general or in comparison to the other peppers mentioned in the OP? I planted six seeds but none germinated this season.  I do have a Trinidad Perfume which I have grown in the past.  I also have a Tobago Seasoning.

Alpaca Punch said:
Anyone have an opinion on Aji Margariteno in general or in comparison to the other peppers mentioned in the OP? I planted six seeds but none germinated this season.  I do have a Trinidad Perfume which I have grown in the past.  I also have a Tobago Seasoning.

I've got an Aji Margariteno going this year.  But this is my first year with it, so I haven't tried it yet.

I had trouble getting this variety going this year.  My seeds were very "crinkled".  I had good germination rates, but nearly all of them had really bad helmet head (as in terminal).  It looked like the crinkled seed husk just wouldn't release from the cotys.

I've run into intermittent helmet head before, but these seeds almost seemed designed to produce a nearly un-fixable case.

I'm curious to see how it tastes, and I'm also curious to see if I get the same crinkled seeds.

Nigel said:
Aji jobito, hands down, no comparison.

Originally from Venezuela, now grown by a plenty of folks in the USA. Tom Broome has a ton of them right now.
Bloody-hell! What an over-sleep!
Hey, Nigel! I hope things are well with you!!!!

Haven't tried it yet, but I've been wanting to try the Trinidad Smooth pepper

A stocky plant that grows well in a pot to 60 cm in height, and if you are space challenged the Trinidad Smooth would be great choice. It is furthermore easy to grow and an amazing producer.

The pods are thick walled, very juicy, and they start off green turning to red once ripe.

Excellent for a salad, or for a snack.
https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/trinidad-smooth-chilli/

Bhuter said:
Bloody-hell! What an over-sleep!
Hey, Nigel! I hope things are well with you!!!!

Hahahahahaha, Just call me Rip Van Winckle.

Things have been, errrr, interesting? What is it people say, "I hope we live in interesting times." Well, my times have been a little too interesting for my liking. I haven't grown much for a couple of years, but they don't let you garden in hospital, LMAO. It's all good now, so I have a bunch of interesting (to me) things growing this year and, of course, a lot of my precious Capsicum wild species. 

Mostly I'm growing Solanums and Jaltomatas, in addition to multiple plants of maybe 15 wilds. Life is fun again!

Nigel said:

Things have been, errrr, interesting? What is it people say, "I hope we live in interesting times." Well, my times have been a little too interesting for my liking. I haven't grown much for a couple of years, but they don't let you garden in hospital, LMAO. It's all good now, so I have a bunch of interesting (to me) things growing this year and, of course, a lot of my precious Capsicum wild species. 

Mostly I'm growing Solanums and Jaltomatas, in addition to multiple plants of maybe 15 wilds. Life is fun again!
I was just introduced to Jaltomatas earlier this week, not physically, just in words. Lol. Those are all very pretty!

I hope your health and life are perfect.........ok, perfect enough for you, then???
Great to see you around again!

Back on topic:
I have a Venezuelan Tiger that decided to fork early. No topping, just a fork. Lol.

aISOkvK.jpg

1ClAYjp.jpg

Never tried this one, but the hype above is promising!

Nigel said:

Hey! I just wanted to say I watched a lot of your videos back in the day, way before I knew this forum existed. When google'ing rare wilds your posts always seemed to show up. Glad to hear you're back at it  :P

spicy.curry said:
I just read about another mild capsicum chinense pepper - Frontera.  It reportedly has a mint like flavor.
https://chilipeppers1.blogspot.com/2018/01/frontera-sweet.html
https://www.superhotchiles.com/product/frontera-sweet-pepper-10-seeds/

I am highly skeptical of the "strong mint like flavor" claim. I have never had a pepper that tasted like mint and I have tasted a few. 

The video on that page seems to be in Russian or some other Slavic language. Maybe they really said "strong chinense flavor" or something else but it was mistranslated to "mint". Just a guess.

The RFC description just says it is "fruity sweet" which sounds much more likely for a yellow chinense.

spicy.curry said:
I just read about another mild capsicum chinense pepper - Frontera.  It reportedly has a mint like flavor.
https://chilipeppers1.blogspot.com/2018/01/frontera-sweet.html
https://www.superhotchiles.com/product/frontera-sweet-pepper-10-seeds/

BlackFatalii said:
I am highly skeptical of the "strong mint like flavor" claim. I have never had a pepper that tasted like mint and I have tasted a few. 

The video on that page seems to be in Russian or some other Slavic language. Maybe they really said "strong chinense flavor" or something else but it was mistranslated to "mint". Just a guess.

The RFC description just says it is "fruity sweet" which sounds much more likely for a yellow chinense.
I agree, Richard. No mint peppers that I have found. This site claims it's Peter Merle's (Semillas las Palmas) introduction:

Frontera:
Capsicum chinense, introduced by Peter Merle who found this variety in Frontera, El Hierro.
Probably a cross between "Scotch Bonnet" with a sweet "Aji Dulce".

Fruits resemble a yellow / orange Scotch Bonnet, about 3 to 4 cm in diameter, erratic shaped.

The taste is sweet and slightly fruity with a very mild spiciness.

Shrub-like plants of about 1m with very high yields.

https://www.vertiloom.com/en/frontera-sweet-seeds.html

Back