seeds Mild Cayenne Pepper Seeds

Does anyone know where I can purchase a slightly milder cayenne pepper seed? I'm wanting to make a hot sauce with a heat level comparable to Franks RedHot Original. Any suggestions?

Dunno, I have cayenne but they're pretty hot, you could try making the sauce with less chillis so it's not as hot? And hopefully still keep the flavour?

I was thinking the same thing today, regarding making the hot sauce. I suggest just using less cayennes and taking out the placenta. I love franks hot sauce.

The recipe I have calls for:
18 cayennes,
1.5 cups of vinegar,
2 teaspoons of garlic
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt.

I made it the other day (unfortunately I don't have any fresh cayennes, so I used thai chillies and cayenne powder). So it doesn't have the exact same flavour, more thai like. I think I will throw in some cayenne peppers (in Aus) this season to make it again.

Mitch_from_OZ said:
I was thinking the same thing today, regarding making the hot sauce. I suggest just using less cayennes and taking out the placenta. I love franks hot sauce.

18 cayennes,
1.5 cups of vinegar,
2 teaspoons of garlic
salt.

I made it the other day (unfortunately I don't have any fresh cayennes, so I used thai chillies and cayenne powder). So it doesn't have the exact same flavour, more thai like. I think I will throw in some cayenne peppers (in Aus) this season to make it again.

Do you have a pic? I have been interested in trying a sauce like that but am worried about the outcome.

Ill make one using that recipe, thanks won't be for around a month maybe less I've got 2 cayennes flowering now... One has about 10 peppers on it already, really want to get into sauce making also going to make a load of chipotle, I've planted 40 jalapeño and currently sourcing items to make myself a smoker :)

PepperDaddler said:

Do you have a pic? I have been interested in trying a sauce like that but am worried about the outcome.
I cant upload a pic now as I am not with the sauce haha. However, the sauce is nice. It has the same consistency as Franks hot sauce. Although there are a couple of odd seeds that aren't blended entirely. I think I would prefer it with pure cayennes though. I can imagine it would be just like Franks. I love the vinegar-y sauces ;)

Andy21 said:
Ill make one using that recipe, thanks won't be for around a month maybe less I've got 2 cayennes flowering now... One has about 10 peppers on it already, really want to get into sauce making also going to make a load of chipotle, I've planted 40 jalapeño and currently sourcing items to make myself a smoker :)
Its a great easy recipe. I just chopped everything roughly, brought the boil for 15 minutes, blended until smooth (I have to add a touch more vinegar), then placed back on the boil for 25 minutes.

Let me know how your smoker goes. I really want to make chipotle sauce this year. I had one jalapeno plant (below) last year and got about 5lbs off it (three waves of 60 peppers I would say, thanks to the long summer)! It was a second year plant in the ground.

Also does anyone know whether green or red jalapenos are better for smoking and making chipotle sauce

Mitch_from_OZ said:

18 cayennes,
1.5 cups of vinegar,
2 teaspoons of garlic
salt.

Do you have the full recipe, I have a Cayenne Indonesian plant loaded with pods. 

I've got a cayenne pepper sauce recipe that I love:

8 oz cayenne peppers
4-8 cloves garlic
White Vinegar 1 cup
White Wine Vinegar 1 cup
1/2 tsp salt (more if needed, but start here)

Blend up everything for 3-5 min
Pour into pot and bring to low boil, then turn down to simmer for 20 - 25 min
Puree with immersion blender 
Taste and adjust anything
Put in jar for a few weeks to hang out and let all the yummy bits meld
Push sauce through strainer to get the chunks and seeds
Wrap leftover chunks and seeds in cheesecloth and squeeze out any left over liquid (you'll get a good 1/4 more if you do this)
Eat it with your mouth

If you're impatient you can skip the letting it sit for a few weeks step.

Mitch from oz has the right idea. Take a sharp paring knife and cut each cayanne into thirds length wise. Then shave off the inside placenta, ribs, and seeds of each pod. You will be left with cayanne's that are one third the heat, but you will need twice the pods.

I made a sissy salsa for a Super Bowl party one time with this method. It was time consuming but tasty.

One of my cayennes puts out some weak peppers compared to the others I have. I can send you some seeds if your interested.

davidestesfl said:
Mitch from oz has the right idea. Take a sharp paring knife and cut each cayanne into thirds length wise. Then shave off the inside placenta, ribs, and seeds of each pod. You will be left with cayanne's that are one third the heat, but you will need twice the pods.

I made a sissy salsa for a Super Bowl party one time with this method. It was time consuming but tasty.

Yeah, I was afraid of this.  I thought there might be a milder variety available, but I haven't been able to locate them on the internet.  It is pretty time consuming as it is de-stemming a thousand or so skinny cayennes, and then to slice each one and remove the placenta and seeds....whew, that's gonna take a long time....but then again, it would probably be well worth it.  I love the fermented sauce I make with the hot ones, but I also am the ONLY one in my family of four that can endure it.  A sauce like Frank's on the other hand, anyone can eat that.  I actually take swigs of Frank's RedHot Original, frequently, to get my hot sauce fix  :dance:

Anyways, thank you all for your contributions to this post, and keep the ideas rollin' in!

Back