• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Milder Habanero (or hotter Trinidad Pimento/Seasoning)

Hi guys, im new here. I have been reading this forum for a while, and finally decided to start writing and hopefully start helping soon. My name is Sameen and im from the country the Naga Morich is native to. We also had a pepper resembling habanero which had a smoother skin unlike the Naga and thinner wall compared to habanero and much much milder but with the full flavour, we called it kamranga or bombai morich.

Now here in Canada, the other day i tried the Trinidad pimento and was blown away by the flavour and the way the pepper tricked me into believing i will be in pain soon, but after chewing on a whole pepper there was no heat at all!! I was instantly in love with it. I used like 30 of them in one day. I really love the flavour but i wish it was hotter. It had a full flavour of a habanero but had no heat whatsoever. I wish i could find a habanero with a heat level of cayenne or a bit hotter than jalapeno; or a trinidad pimenoto with a bit of heat to it. The flavour makes it amazing but having no heat makes it kinda disappointing.

1. So guys im looking for a suggestion on which pepper could meet my need. A full flavour  of habanero but half the heat of habanero, like a green chilli level heat. Please help me out. I am currently growing naga, habanero, thai bird, lemon drop, havanese, tabasco and shishito. I am really done with hot peppers after years of torture to get the flavour i need, but that Trinidad pimento changed my life. I wish i never planted my naga and habanero this year. Now that i know i can get flavour without pain. But i like a bit of heat. I eat 2-3 raw thai hot green chilli with my meal and like the heat level of shiracha sauce. 

2. I am also in Toronto, any vendor recommendation locally or any vendor who ships to Canada (seed and peppers and plants) would be great.

3. I am looking to sample some peppers to find out what kind i like, how can i go about it? Any sampler box i can order?

4. I am also looking for a paprika smelling chilli pepper that i can cook with, something thats juicy and sweet and you can chop up and fry or just grill or smoke but has heat to it. More like around jalapeno level. So basically a jalapeno with juicy redness and sweetness of paprika or maybe shiracha. With heat and sweetness and jucy chilli flavour.

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Sincerely
Sameen

I agree with the Brazilian Starfish... an awesome pepper... but it does not have the chinense flavor profile.

2 peppers come to mind for a lower heat habanero with strong chinense flavor.

Galapagos Island Habanero - a red habanero, thick walls, great habanero flavor, about half the heat of a standard habanero.

Habanero Mayan/Maya Habanero/Maya Red Habanero - this pepper is most likely a cross between a cayenne and a habanero. Has less heat than a standard habanero with an interesting flavor profile... not as strong of a habanero/chinense flavor, but still pretty good flavor.

I would recommend an Aleppo pepper to satisfy your #4 point.

The Habanada, like the NuMex Trick-or-Treat, are s'posed to be zero heat hab-types.  I'm trying to grow Trick-or-Treats this year, as well as several different varieties of low-heat chinense that are s'posed to be very mild but not entirely without heat.  As of right now, i have got plants, but no pods, so i can't really comment on how they taste, but I am growing both red and orange NuMex Suaves, as well as Frontera Sweets and Ecuador Sweets.  I got the NuMex varieties directly from NMSU, and i got the other stuff from Semillas.  Incidentally, Semillas ships internationally, and they got a lot of varieties that might fit the bill for you (see: Habanero El Remo...)  https://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=%22%22&keywords=Capsicum%20chinense&cart_id=%22%22

Bicycle808 said:
The Habanada, like the NuMex Trick-or-Treat, are s'posed to be zero heat hab-types.  I'm trying to grow Trick-or-Treats this year, as well as several different varieties of low-heat chinense that are s'posed to be very mild but not entirely without heat.  As of right now, i have got plants, but no pods, so i can't really comment on how they taste, but I am growing both red and orange NuMex Suaves, as well as Frontera Sweets and Ecuador Sweets.  I got the NuMex varieties directly from NMSU, and i got the other stuff from Semillas.  Incidentally, Semillas ships internationally, and they got a lot of varieties that might fit the bill for you (see: Habanero El Remo...)  https://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=%22%22&keywords=Capsicum%20chinense&cart_id=%22%22

Ha ha oh no I didn't realize NMSU made the same thing.

Looked into it a little, the Trick or treat was published in 2015: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/50/11/1739.full
and the research on pun1 that lead to the habanada was originally published in 2007: https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/58/5/979/486285/Genetic-control-of-pungency-in-C-chinense-via-the
Bosland cited a different article about the pun1 locus, which is really odd, and pretty sneaky if you ask me. IDK i'd have to read both papers all the way to make sure and I'm not doing that right now.
I can't find the release notes for the Habanada, but it goes back to at least 2011: https://phys.org/news/2011-09-inventor-black-and-white-cucumbers.html

Gorizza said:

Ha ha oh no I didn't realize NMSU made the same thing.

Looked into it a little, the Trick or treat was published in 2015: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/50/11/1739.full
and the research on pun1 that lead to the habanada was originally published in 2007: https://academic.oup.com/jxb/article/58/5/979/486285/Genetic-control-of-pungency-in-C-chinense-via-the
Bosland cited a different article about the pun1 locus, which is really odd, and pretty sneaky if you ask me. IDK i'd have to read both papers all the way to make sure and I'm not doing that right now.
I can't find the release notes for the Habanada, but it goes back to at least 2011: https://phys.org/news/2011-09-inventor-black-and-white-cucumbers.html

It's the same basic concept, but definitely different peppers.  And yes, I think the Habanadas have been around longer.  The pods are shaped differently, and the 'Nadas are orange whereas the T-or-Ts are red.  Looking just at the plants, i'm pretty sure the T-or-Ts are crossed with something other than chinense; the plants structure in terms of leaf sizes/shapes look markedly different from every other chinense I'm growing.

Personally, I'm more stoked about the low-heat varieties than i am the zero-heat varieties.  I want to have SOMEthing interesting to share with my family, but 0 SHU seems extreme.  I still wanted to grow some, just to try....

cloudhand said:

Galapagos Island Habanero - a red habanero, thick walls, great habanero flavor, about half the heat of a standard habanero.

^ THIS.

the one pod i got a chance to try was in a box of pods purchased from a member here back in 2015
I would say it was about 1/3 the heat of the congo red habs i was growing that year, but still had full red Hab flavor 
(I attempted to grow out seeds from that pod, but they didn't grow true :mope:  oh well, was worth the try)

If anyone finds a vendor with seeds for Galapagos Island Habanero please post a link to that vendor !
alternatively if any members have true seeds for this and would be interested in trading please PM me.

:cheers:

+1 for the Paper Lantern Hab. Really tasty pepper.

You might also be interested in the Trinidad Smooth from Judy at Pepperlover. It has a somewhat sweet, fruity-floral chinense taste that reminds me a bit of certain Naga types I have tried, but it seemed to me to only have about half the heat of an orange hab. Unfortunately she is out of stock ATM, but you can find it here when she restocks: http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heat-level/sweet-mild/trinidad-smooth-detail

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Im growing the Beni this year. Hopefully they will be well under orange hab heat. Something about as hot as a upper end serrano and heavy chinense flavor would be really nice to find. I could make use of no heat or nearly no heat but the flavor would need to be exceptional. I love the flavor habs give to red meat curries.

I tried Beni Highlands last year. It had a very light and clean chinense taste with no fruitiness or other flavors that I could detect. It was very, very mild. It seemed milder than even a good Jalapeno would be. Maybe around an Aji Fantasy level of burn.

I grew these the past couple years but did not grow this year due to space limitations. Will most likely grow again next year. They are fantastic snacking peppers and go great with meals!

I got the seeds from Wicked Mike... he threw in seeds for a bunch of different varieties when I purchased a box of pods from him a few years ago. All of his seeds grew true!

I have some to spare if anyone is interested. Just let me know and I will hook you up at the end of the season... there might be some other seeds of interest by then :P !

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
If anyone finds a vendor with seeds for Galapagos Island Habanero please post a link to that vendor !
alternatively if any members have true seeds for this and would be interested in trading please PM me.

Back