• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Military Guys: Opinions Wanted

Firstly.

Thank you for your service.

Now to the meat.

I'm looking at a surplus medium Alice pack.

Good condition with frame.

For cheapness.

Seriously.

Vs. current issue molle packs.

Opinions?

And what about other military surplus?

Tarps.

Woobies's.

Knives.

Other gear.

What works?

What doesn't?

(Talk about M4's and beltfed's in the Guns forum)

Sound off.

Like you've got a pair.

Just sold one of those Molle 2 medium packs, brand spankin new for 200. Although I never carried the molle gear, The large Alice pack are superb. The large packs will easily carry loads of 110 lbs. The medium packs seemed too small to carry anything. I still have my large ruck and wouldn't trade it for a plate of Texas nachos with extra jalapenos. Ditch the frame though and add some foam padding to the shoulder straps and lower back. Hope this helps, cheers!

On a side note, the molle 2 packs has tons of pockets. Where as the Large Alice has a main compartment, a radio pouch (for the prc-77/singars) and 3 outer pockets, plus the fold over has a Velcro pouch.

Voodoo 6 said:
Just sold one of those Molle 2 medium packs, brand spankin new for 200. Although I never carried the molle gear, The large Alice pack are superb. The large packs will easily carry loads of 110 lbs. The medium packs seemed too small to carry anything. I still have my large ruck and wouldn't trade it for a plate of Texas nachos with extra jalapenos. Ditch the frame though and add some foam padding to the shoulder straps and lower back. Hope this helps, cheers!

On a side note, the molle 2 packs has tons of pockets. Where as the Large Alice has a main compartment, a radio pouch (for the prc-77/singars) and 3 outer pockets, plus the fold over has a Velcro pouch.

Voodoo.

Muchas gracias amigo.

Thats just what I wanted to hear.

The large Alice pack is too big for me.

And don't want a load over 40 pounds.

Ergot, I need the medium.

I want to use it for overnight.

Or 2 day fishing trips.

And only need the following.

Some bushcraft knives.

A small cast iron skillet.

A small SS pot.

Firebox stove.

Sleeping bag.

Flashlight tent.

Waxed cotton duck tarp.

Et.al. small items.

Any experience with light weight molle vests?

I don't need a plate carrier.

Back