• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mill's 2011

millworkman

Extreme Member
Here is what got started today:

Birgit Locoto
Black Cobra
C. Eximium
C. Flexuosum-Grif 15020
C. Flexuosum-PI 631154
C. Galapagoense
C. Lanceolatum
Donne Sali
Giant Jolokia
Goat's Weed
Ugandan - My brother went to Uganda at the end of 2010 and brought back a bag of supposedly sundried peppers. I harvested some seed and will see if they grow.

Overwintering from last year I have:

Bhut Jolokia
Brain Strain X2
Chocolate Habanero
C. Rhomboideum
Fatalii
Pasillo Bajio
Scorpion Moruga
Tree Hab
Yellow 7 pot
Yellow Scorpion Cardi X2
And a bunch of little guys that are not labelled.

CIMG0181.jpg

Looks like a great list, That method looks alot more efficient than a baggie.Let us know when they start to germinate!

Will do Kevin. I am gonna see if I can just stick some dirt in the cups after the germ for a little bit rather than moving just sprouted seeds. We will see, and I will let everyone know when they do start sprouting.

We will see how it works out. I have at least 2 seeds in each cup so maybe I will transfer one and leave the other in the cup with a little bit of soil to see how it goes. Experiments are always fun.

Well apparently they could not wait. Two Goat's weeds have already popped out of their shell. Pictures to come this afternoon after class.

There's a guy on a tomato forum who does mass planting in cells. 40 seeds per cell and he does the same thing with peppers. Once they're a few inches tall he pops them out and breaks the seedlings up, transplanting into individual pots. Says he gets 99% success rate. If you have a lot of varieties, it sure makes things easier. I'm trying the same thing this year.

Good luck to ya!

I was quite amazed by this goat's weed popping out already, less than 15 hours after planting.

SDC11189.jpg

SDC11190.jpg

A shot of my germination chamber. Built this two years ago to grow some plants for the Fatalii contest but it holds pretty steady temps out in the cold garage so now its a sprout box.
The two mason jars are growing moss and a couple sundew species

SDC11180.jpg

Tree Hab cut back and Avocado.

SDC11184.jpg

All the overwintereds met the blade last night and got a new haircut.

SDC11185.jpg

SDC11186.jpg

SDC11187.jpg

SDC11188.jpg

A couple Adenium Obesum sprouts.

SDC11192.jpg

SDC11193.jpg

Thanks Kevin, I didn't even pull the Rhomb. this time, figured just let it go. Hopefully it can get mighty this summer.

Man those seeds sprouted fast! It's only been like a week right?
Dont plant em too close to that tree hab, That monster will likely shade out the whole yard this year! :)

Ha ha, yeah Kevin. The tree hab hasnt shown any new growth after it got chopped last week, hoping to see some soon though.

There's a guy on a tomato forum who does mass planting in cells. 40 seeds per cell and he does the same thing with peppers. Once they're a few inches tall he pops them out and breaks the seedlings up, transplanting into individual pots. Says he gets 99% success rate. If you have a lot of varieties, it sure makes things easier. I'm trying the same thing this year.

Good luck to ya!

Never used to buy your vegie seedling in pretty little punnets. They used to come bare rooted and wrapped in newspaper. You would take them home plant them in the garden and give them a water and in half an hour they would be standing up and away.
Using a similar but gentler system I plant all my seedlings in lines in trays then dig them out in their groups and gently tease them apart and transplant them. As long as they dont dry out they are fine. It
sure saves a lot of germination space and dry seeds are always easier to handle and plant than wet pregerminated ones.

One of the trays planted 13th Jan. I will leave them in there for another 2 weeks at least feeding them with weak seaweed and fish emufsion. There are a couple of wilted ones in there but it was a hot day today about 43C when the gauge crapped out. I have watered them and they are standing up now.

IMG_1019.jpg

All the overwintereds met the blade last night and got a new haircut.

SDC11185.jpg

SDC11186.jpg

Very cool!
Hey do you mind describing your 'haircut'procedure? Did you remove all the foliage or were the 'trunks' pretty much in hibernation? Did you just now put them under the lights to wake 'em up? Did you add any nutes now or during the preceding months? What kind of of growing medium used? Did you originally yank these from the ground or pot down?
What is your target for getting them back in the ground or back outside?

I only have a few dozen more questions, but will hold off for now and appreciate in advance any insights.

good luck this year mwm...I am going to be extremely interested in your 2nd year grows...particularly the production...I have about 18 or 19 scorpions that were the only ones that made it from last year...

Dude! Remind me not to let you give me a haircut!

That germination method is pretty cool. May have to give that a shot. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Best of luck to you millman.

Back