dehydrators Mills And Dehydrators

Mills And Dehydrators; I have neither.

I need the best budget-friendly Dehydrator and a good old-school manual mill(or is it grinder?) that can turn dehydrated peppers into fine powder—if it can also do coffee even better.
(I personally need a manual mill because milling peppers at 03:00 AM with an electric machine will most likely result in me getting evicted ;P )

I live in Greece, so anything from outside the EU will not work for me, but since we are in a forum and the information might help many others, I hope that everyone will jump in and share advice and/or show their setup.

Ares Schizas said:
Mills And Dehydrators; I have neither.

I live in Greece, so anything from outside the EU will not work for me, but since we are in a forum and the information might help many others, I hope that everyone will jump in and share advice and/or show their setup.

My suggestion would be Amazon Europe. Know you're 230V/50Hz with Type C-F outlets so look for a supplier from say Spain or Italy that use similar style for the dehydrator (Obviously not UK without an adapter.).

As for the grinder click here.> Manual Spice Grinder, I currently use this.> Salt and Pepper Grinder. To turn the halved peppers that are dry into flakes for the grinder I use.> Magic Bullet Blender (You can use this during daytime, right?)

Hope this helps!

PS Don't be afraid to add some onion flakes, garlic flakes and/or salt flakes!!

`

I have an old Italian Tre Spade burr grinder that works very well for grinding dried pods.  It's copper and wood. The grinder mechanism is some sort of dark mystery metal that hasn't rusted in the 30 years I've owned it.  No noise and no pepper dust pollution. I use one glove to cover my thumb and crunch the dried pods down to the burr. It's fairly quick work.

Attachments

• grinder 2.jpg
    grinder 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 97
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

My suggestion would be Amazon Europe. Know you're 230V/50Hz with Type C-F outlets so look for a supplier from say Spain or Italy that use similar style for the dehydrator (Obviously not UK without an adapter.).

As for the grinder click here.> Manual Spice Grinder, I currently use this.> Salt and Pepper Grinder. To turn the halved peppers that are dry into flakes for the grinder I use.> Magic Bullet Blender (You can use this during daytime, right?)

Hope this helps!

PS Don't be afraid to add some onion flakes, garlic flakes and/or salt flakes!!

`

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I thought that this type of grinders were not adequate for the job.
I can use a blender during the day but grinding peppers any time I feel like it feels great and gives me more freedom with my daily schedule. I also don't mind some exercise. ;)

www.amazon.eu does not seem to be a webstore. In any case, European Amazons are not a good option for me; 97% of the time they will not ship to Greece. I have no idea why.

BTW, UK Plug to Shucko adapters are very common in Greece so if anyone wants to grab anything from the UK before the Brexit, go ahead and grab it!
Replacing the plug is also a very easy operation and it will work fine as long as the machine works with 230V 50Hz.

Locally, the only one that I found so far that bears a brand that I recognize is the Rohnson R-287. Most of the others seem to be El Cheapos from Turkey. I have an electric grill that came from Turkey and it now works very well after two "minor" repairs. I didn't paid much for it so I am not complaining. But for something that will have to stay on overnight, I just don't trust them.

DWB said:
I have an old Italian Tre Spade burr grinder that works very well for grinding dried pods.  It's copper and wood. The grinder mechanism is some sort of dark mystery metal that hasn't rusted in the 30 years I've owned it.  No noise and no pepper dust pollution. I use one glove to cover my thumb and crunch the dried pods down to the burr. It's fairly quick work.

That is a beautiful grinder. Looks very sturdy too. They don't make them like that anymore. I should search in flea markets for an old one but finding one in working condition will be tricky.

Reactions: DWB
From what I read online there's actually Walmart in Greece? not sure if there's one by you but that's where I bought my dehydrator. Probably the cheapest one money can buy and it works great. I've had it for years without any issue. Doesn't have temperature control or anything fancy but it works great for drying peppers.

Edmick said:
From what I read online there's actually Walmart in Greece? not sure if there's one by you but that's where I bought my dehydrator. Probably the cheapest one money can buy and it works great. I've had it for years without any issue. Doesn't have temperature control or anything fancy but it works great for drying peppers.
Yeah, my $40 Walmart dehydrator dries peppers fairly quickly and doesn't kill anyone with capsaicin fumes. The floral smell of ghosts does work as fake potpourri though

I have a Mr coffee grinder and it's quieter than my dehydrators. I prefer to crush peppers by hand though. I put the dried peppers into a mason jar and crush them with a small meat pounder though any item that will fit and crush will work. Get more of a coarse flake which I prefer to dust. 

Edmick said:
As far as I know there is not but there are Walmarts in Greece, NY.
I actually did a Google search in Greek and I only found scare-mongering articles from 2015 and older about how "the evil American capitalists are coming to get our Feta". :P

There is "Media Markt" (I saw the Rohnson R-287 in their website) andthere is Lidl but Lidl only has electric machines on very special occasions for seasonal sales which happen once every year (but the quality is usually very good for the price). No guarantee that they will have dehydrators or grinders though and I don't remember if they ever had them before.

D3monic said:
I have a Mr coffee grinder and it's quieter than my dehydrators. I prefer to crush peppers by hand though. I put the dried peppers into a mason jar and crush them with a small meat pounder though any item that will fit and crush will work. Get more of a coarse flake which I prefer to dust. 
So these buggers are noisy? That's not good... :( This things will most probably have to stay on during the night... Perhaps an enclosure will help reduce the noise (and most probably burn the machine... :D )

I prefer powder because in all honesty I don't know why. Perhaps it is a cultural thing. However, I am open to new ideas so I will try flakes. Why not? :P

Ares Schizas said:
As far as I know there is not but there are Walmarts in Greece, NY.
I actually did a Google search in Greek and I only found scare-mongering articles from 2015 and older about how "the evil American capitalists are coming to get our Feta". :P

There is "Media Markt" (I saw the Rohnson R-287 in their website) andthere is Lidl but Lidl only has electric machines on very special occasions for seasonal sales which happen once every year (but the quality is usually very good for the price). No guarantee that they will have dehydrators or grinders though and I don't remember if they ever had them before.

So these buggers are noisy? That's not good... :( This things will most probably have to stay on during the night... Perhaps an enclosure will help reduce the noise (and most probably burn the machine... :D )

I prefer powder because in all honesty I don't know why. Perhaps it is a cultural thing. However, I am open to new ideas so I will try flakes. Why not? :P
It's a constant sound and doesn't stick out. If you're in another room, you most likely won't hear it. If you're in the same room, it's just ambient noise.

DWB said:

That is one beautiful grinder.

I'm not sure how much you will be grinding at any given time, but I have used a traditional grain mill with a hand crank flywheel to grind a LOT of dried chiles into fine powder.    The one I have is pretty big-
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/country-living-grain-mill-wheat-grinder-combos

I figured if it can turn grains into flour, it will work for making chilli powder, and it did a great job.  I had a post with pics, but they were Photobucket pics and are no longer available.  

There are smaller hand crank grain mill grinders that would probably work just fine, and if you look at garage sales and second hand stores, you may be able to find a used one.  
Walmart has some-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weston-Cereal-and-Multi-Grain-Mill-36-3601-W/14223932?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=86ed364d-c447-45d9-3e2b-965e117a6fff&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=86ed364d-c447-45d9-3e2b-965e117a6fff&item_id=14223932&parent_anchor_item_id=19321143&parent_item_id=19321143&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=Qq1JdFLLwg3XCs-JIutyOQ

and lots of homestead living type stores have them.  

One trick I learned the hard way was to tie/tape/rubber band a plastic bag around the drop chute to contain the powder.  Otherwise you will fumigate the whole neighborhood.  Not Good at 3:00 AM.  :lol:

Good Luck and Have Fun!
salsalady

salsalady said:
I'm not sure how much you will be grinding at any given time, but I have used a traditional grain mill with a hand crank flywheel to grind a LOT of dried chiles into fine powder.    The one I have is pretty big-
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/country-living-grain-mill-wheat-grinder-combos

I figured if it can turn grains into flour, it will work for making chilli powder, and it did a great job.  I had a post with pics, but they were Photobucket pics and are no longer available.  

There are smaller hand crank grain mill grinders that would probably work just fine, and if you look at garage sales and second hand stores, you may be able to find a used one.  
Walmart has some-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weston-Cereal-and-Multi-Grain-Mill-36-3601-W/14223932?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=86ed364d-c447-45d9-3e2b-965e117a6fff&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=86ed364d-c447-45d9-3e2b-965e117a6fff&item_id=14223932&parent_anchor_item_id=19321143&parent_item_id=19321143&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=Qq1JdFLLwg3XCs-JIutyOQ

and lots of homestead living type stores have them.  

One trick I learned the hard way was to tie/tape/rubber band a plastic bag around the drop chute to contain the powder.  Otherwise you will fumigate the whole neighborhood.  Not Good at 3:00 AM.  :lol:

Good Luck and Have Fun!
salsalady
The first one's price tag equals a month's salary in Greece (the $449 one) :D

Thank you very much for the information! I was thinking about flour mills but I had no idea if they will work.

I will try to find something new from China or better. Otherwise I will have to weld something.

Hopefully I will find an old Italian, German, or English mill/grinder with a reasonable price-tag; however antiques here are considered as decorative items and most probably they will want an arm and a leg for it. :P

Thanks for the tip! Rest assured, I will fumigate the neighborhood only during the day hours. ;)

Back