• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mini-Hot House

Last week I was shopping at Ocean State Job Lot and came up with an idea and decided to put it to the test. I bought a 6 and 1/2 inch round aluminum pie tin (don't know what else to call it) and lid for forty (.40) cents. The lid is plastic see through. The border of the tin has a little lip going all around it to fold over the lid once its on top. I poked several holes in the bottom and filled it with a commercial seed starting mix. I used Burpees. I had an old beat up lamp, removed the top and screwed in a nice new 100 watt light bulb. The hardest part of this whole experiment was finding the right cardboard box but I managed. I cut out and taped aluminum foil to the inside walls of the box. I cut out a quarter sized hole in the bottom to run the cord out of and placed the lamp inside. I also made a tiny little hook out of a paper clip and hung my Taylor Indoor/Outdoor thermometer inside the box. The pie tin now sat on top of the box. Once I had it in place I covered over the open areas around it with aluminum foil. I planted a bunch of extra pepper seeds inside the tin, misted down the soil thoroughly and plugged her in. I checked it after a day and the thermometer read 91 degrees!!!!! Its been a week now and I got mega-sprouts!!!!! So much for heating mats. Where there's a will there's a way!!!

Wow pretty MacGyver of you. I wish I could build stuff like that. I had to spend the $$$ and just buy the Jiffy kit with heating mat.

I get Togo from a local Italian joint, and always use the plastic containers for this purpose. Freecycling at it's best. Good work!

Back