• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Miracle Grow

Hi everyone, excuse the noobish question but I picked up some of this stuff...http://www.robertdya...pose-Compost-8L and was wondering, do I need to mix it with regular soil or can I just bosh the lot in to a pot by itself, I'm planning on putting some tender seedlings into it that have only just germinated :D

It does say use a 50/50 mix of soil and compost but the problem is I need to get the seedlings into something soon and I won't be able to pick up any soil for a while :eek: . So could I get away with using the compost 'uncut' so to speak :whistle:

Cheers

Matt

I'm no expert, but I mix my compost with recycled soil
and peat - I've never tried straight compost. My garden
compost can get dense if there are no 'fluffifiers' to keep
it aerated. If you are going into small pots before planting out,
it might be okay for awhile. I guess it depends on the
composition of the compost you have. I notice on their web site
that it is peat free, which members of this forum don't seem
very enthusiastic about, and contains fertilizers. Sorry, if this
isn't a great help.

:whistle: in the dark!

Do not even use the compost at all, trust me. I have been growing a while and I now never use compost in my mix ever. The roots will get water loged and your plants will get burned. Just go and get Miracle Gro Potting Mix. Water lightly.

Do not even use the compost at all, trust me. I have been growing a while and I now never use compost in my mix ever. The roots will get water loged and your plants will get burned. Just go and get Miracle Gro Potting Mix. Water lightly.

+1. You can get the Miracle Gro Potting Mix, or MG Organic Potting Mix (Much woodier and nice and fluffy, I use it when I'm desperate and out of time for soil) at just about any hardware store near you. 16 quarts for less than $10. Lowes, Home Depot, even WalMart all stock it, although I'd recommend getting it from a supplier that probably sells a lot of it. You definitely don't want last years stuff.

Using the compost alone is a big no-no. Especially with young plants you run a big risk of burning them, and peppers will have a real hard time breathing from the roots in it.

If you have a nursery nearby swing by and see if they have their own potting mix. MG stuff will work, but if at all possible I try not to feed the Monsanto monster......

Back