• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

mites

I assumed the damage on my plants were from aphids but with closer inspection i believe it is spider mites doing it.
little red bugs.some of my leafs also have a black wet substance on the top of em to,what is it?
I did order 3000 ladybugs today and they will be here monday or tuesday.hope this helps.
any other suggestions or input is appreciated.

i actually have red mites as well. i bought a product called Abamectin E Pro, it seems to be working pretty well, all the new growth is healthy. its only been 10 days tho.

i went outside a few minutes ago with a flashlight to see what i could see.
all three smart pots are infested with ants also.nothing in the buckets tho.
how do i kill the ants and not kill the plant?do i need to repot the plants in fresh dirt or is there an easier way?
mites and ants!whats next

Do you have little white dots on your leaves where the mites are sucking out all the green? If your not seeing that, you may have something else. Chances are, the black stuff is a sooty mold, which is something that lives on the sugary excretions of insects. Get rid of the insects and the SM goes away as it gets washed off. To get rid of the mites, I'd use the coffee that I mentioned in the aphid thread about half way down the forum page. There are many things that will kill ants and not hurt the plant. Talsar may be the best insecticide, but I have also found that the used coffee grounds used as a mulch on the soil has been very good to repel the ants. In the past, I have put an inch opf the grounds on top of the soil and wash it in real good, like with a gallon of water, and I never saw live ants in the pot again.

Do you have little white dots on your leaves where the mites are sucking out all the green? If your not seeing that, you may have something else. Chances are, the black stuff is a sooty mold, which is something that lives on the sugary excretions of insects. Get rid of the insects and the SM goes away as it gets washed off. To get rid of the mites, I'd use the coffee that I mentioned in the aphid thread about half way down the forum page. There are many things that will kill ants and not hurt the plant. Talsar may be the best insecticide, but I have also found that the used coffee grounds used as a mulch on the soil has been very good to repel the ants. In the past, I have put an inch opf the grounds on top of the soil and wash it in real good, like with a gallon of water, and I never saw live ants in the pot again.
if the sooty mold is not rinsed or wiped off it leaves brown spots where it was.like it burned it or something.i assumed their mites cause their little reddish brown (more red) tiny little bugs kinda oval in shape.
they hang out on the top of the leaves and seem to cluster up in the new growth curled leaves.

i went outside a few minutes ago with a flashlight to see what i could see.
all three smart pots are infested with ants also.nothing in the buckets tho.
how do i kill the ants and not kill the plant?do i need to repot the plants in fresh dirt or is there an easier way?
mites and ants!whats next

I have a running battle with ants. You can submerge the pots in water for 20 minutes and that'll kill off the nest. I've done this a couple of times but within a week or so a new set move in. I now sprinkle cinnamon on the soil the ants hate it they run a mile! i'm also putting down rice flour, the ants can't digest it and they die. Hopefully they should feed some of it to the queen and once she dies the nest dies.

I believe you have red aphids. Mites are barely visible and do not tend to be on the top of a leaf. Also, ants are a sign of aphids. Google some pictures of red aphids.

Back