• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mitzi's 2019 - Grow, grow, grow your Bhut

Sorry about the title; it just came to mind.  Warning:  This glog will most likely be EXTREMELY BORING - read at your own risk.  2019 will be my third "proper" year growing chillies.  I'm still at the newbie stage of wanting to try every variety of several species and haven't yet managed to narrow it down to particular favourites.  Consequently most of my planned grow is made up of things that are new to me.  

Decided to go for more baccatums next year as they seem to do well in my climate; they take months to ripen but then I get a glut.  Gluts are very welcome in my house.  Will grow a few annuals as ornamentals outside the front door and also some I hope are reliable enough to get a crop from even if we have a bad summer.  I love the challenge of growing really hot peppers even though I don't have a greenhouse so that means some chinenses.  So it's quite a mixture.  Only one rocoto so, if it's successful, I should get true seed from it to re-stock the European Seed Train (EST).

List currently looks like this:

1. Aleppo
  2. Basket of Fire
  3. Ethiopian Berbere*
  4. Gelbe Kirschen (Yellow Cherry)
  5. Hot Cherry (Cseresznye) Paprika
  6. Pritamin (sweet pepper)
  7. Rosemary Pepper
  8. Purple Tiger
  9. Thai Demon
  10. Urfa Biber
  11. Aji Berry Amarillo
  12. Aji Guyana
  13. Aji Guyana Rush F2
  14. Aji Lemon Drop
  15. Aji Mango
  16. Criolla Sella
  17. El Oro de Trinidad F2
  18. Ethiopian Peppertree
  19. Hot Orange
  20. Mini Bonnet
  21. Sugar Rush Cream*
  22. Sugar Rush Red
  23. 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
  24. 7 Pot BBG White
  25. BBG7
  26. Bhut Jolokia Peach
  27. Bhut Jolokia White
  28. Black Cayman
  29. Coyote Zan White*
  30. Fatalii Peach
  31. Fatalii Uber Yellow
  32. Genghis Khan Brains
  33. JPGS
  34. Moruga Scorpion
  35. Moruga Scorpion/Brainstrain(?) Red
  36. Moruga Scorpion/Brainstrain(?) Yellow
  37. Moruga Scorpion Caramel*
  38. SB Matthew Arthur red
  39. SB MOA WHP x
  40. SB TFM
  41. White Lightning (PDNxBMJ)
  42. Manzano Orange

* Not received yet

There are a couple more I got from the EST but, embarrassingly, I can't remember what they are.  

Attempting to overwinter:

1. Bahamian Goat
  2. BOC x Primo yellow
  3. Brazilian Ghost (2 plants)
  4. Burkina Yellow
  5. Carolina Reaper
  6. Genghis Khan Brain
  7. Habanero Red
  8. Krishna Jolokia
  9. Nagabrain Chocolate (2 plants)
  10. Nebru 7
  11. PdN
  12. PdN x SB7J
  13. SB Cappuccino
  14. SB MoA

They are all aphid-infested and somewhat sick looking so I'm not sure any of them will make it.  I certainly need to deal with the aphids in the next few weeks before I start sowing seeds.  My other half (OH) has banned plants from the bedroom windowsill which is the best place in the house (south-facing.)  I've snuck three tiny ones on there but most of the rest are languishing in a north-facing window so are getting no sunlight whatsoever.

This year (2018) I had 38 pots outside plus three indoors, making 41 pots of 35 varieties, plus about a dozen more plants which never got potted up into proper pots.  Approximately 40 pots will be my limit again for next year but I would like to grow more than one plant of some varieties so ideally I need to whittle the list down to 30 varieties or fewer from the 56+ above.

How on earth does one choose?

Lol. Love the title. I am not sure what boss man will thibk though..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

saiias said:
Nope. Nothing wrong... But/butt/bhut... J/k

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Oh, you mean butt as in backside?  I'm English, we say bum not butt so I didn't make the connection.

Mitzi said:
Oh, you mean butt as in backside?  I'm English, we say bum not butt so I didn't make the connection.
You're okay, Mitzi.
In India, it's pronounced 'Boot Jo-Lo-Key-Ah', said quickly.
So no bum/butt connection :rofl: .
Here is  pronunciation wiki. Third entry down is Indian English:

Looks like you are having a good time with your list. I did the same
thing - grew dozens of varieties every season for the first three seasons
before whittling down my seed collection to a couple of dozen varieties
I like. I don't grow all of them every year, but it's fun selecting each season. 
It never gets easier - it's hard to resist the tantalizing new crosses and varieties
that come across the table every season, along with all the old reliables.

Good luck going forward. It's always great to see what's going on across
the pond!

Made some chilli choc drops which are absolutely yummy.  I was given a chocolate advent calendar which has single-origin high cocoa solid dark chocolate in it.  I think Ecuadorian but I may be wrong.  Supposedly very high quality but honestly it's so bitter that it's inedible.  So I melted it all down with some white chocolate and some milk chocolate (also relatively high quality stuff, not Cadbury's) and added a heap of chilli powder (Rocoto La Paz Rojo.)  It's still dark chocolate and has a real kick to it.  They taste wonderful.  The previous batch I made was with Scotch Bonnet powder but the Rocoto ones seem to have a more refined taste to them, somehow.

I thought I could make some more to give for Christmas prezzies but they have developed a severe bloom on them, which makes them look almost mouldy (they're not.)  It doesn't affect the taste, but they don't look pretty enough to give as gifts.  Not sure how to cure that.

Edit:  A bit of research reveals that it's temperature related, but I don't make chocolates often enough or in sufficient quantities to make it worth my while getting a thermometer and going through the tempering process each time.  Mixing the three types of chocolate probably didn't help either.

Good luck germinating your seeds, Mitzi.

Will be interested in seeing how the
PdN x BMJ does for you.

Sent you a PM...

internationalfish said:
Haha, wow, that's a lot of plants! Wish I had room for that, but then my wife would kill me, so perhaps it's for the best. Will live vicariously through you; good luck!
I really dont have room for so many myself, either. Some varieties I only have a couple of seeds, which are several years old, so most likely they will not germinate. Might as well sow them and see.

What! :eek: Second day and no germination?

Those must be really lousy seeds.
Send them to me and I'll get rid of
'em for you  :rofl:

:cheers:  All the best for the New Year and
your pepper grow, Mitzi!

Back