Mix in the ferts, or add later ?

Hi All,

It's prime time for me to fill up all my garden beds and large pots with new mix for this year.

I know what solid ferts I want to use to get the approx 3-1-2 ratio (combo blood'n'bone and chook poo, etc), but which of the two options is safer:

1) Add to the top 10cm and mix thoroughly before planting, or:

2) Put the plants in, let them establish a little, then add the solid ferts and scratch in to the top 10cm or so ?

My way of thinking is that 2 is safer, but option 1 can involve say 50% rate administration to again go for safety's sake (because you can add more later, but can't take it out once mixed and no one wants to burn tender roots !)

My "pots" by the way are styrofoam boxes of about 9 Gallons each. Should be enough for one plant each I hope ....

Opinions ?

Regards,

Tim

The big question is what kind of soil will you be using in those pots? Most potting soil comes with some fertilizer already mixed in, so adding more at this point can just fry the babies. I grow in pots and only add fertilizer at the beginning when I'm re-using soil from a prior year; otherwise I wait and use age-specific liquid fertilizer in low doses after the plants are settled in. With the plants in the ground you have more flexibility as there's room for the ferts to dissipate. Still, IMO it's best to turn under and add ferts like poo in the fall, then it's got all winter to finish breaking down to be more usable for the plants. However, if you know your ground soil is deficient, better to add some now. 

Like geeme said - it all starts with the soil. Best to be thinking down the road with plans for building up the soil for your plants.

Mix a small amount of fertilizer into the soil before putting the plants in - if the soil needs it, in most cases fresh soil with a fair amount of organic compost material in it will not need fertilizer to support a small plant yet to grow into the available space.

Later, many types of granular fertilizer are salts that can just be put on top of the soil and will dissolve when you water the plants.  Otherwise meal and manure are better put into a separate container with some other soil amendments and kept damp so they start to decompose, then as your soil in the pot starts to compact from watering, add this aged mixture to the top of the pot.

The only problem with this is if you are mulching.  If mulching for moisture or weed control, add everything before transplant then save up the rest for next season.  A good time to add amendments for next season is when the plants are pulled in fall so the soil has a few months to brew until the spring grow starts.

Do not put the plants in then try to dig in fertilizers as deep as 10 cm later..  That's enough to cause significant root damage.  The same benefit can be had by aging it in a separate container then adding it to the top as mentioned above.  Just make sure it is kept damp but not overwatered to the point that there is water loss out the bottom "IF" the container has drain holes, holes which it doesn't really need to have.

Well, that's alot of great information - thanks to all !

The mix I am planning on using has organic compost mixed in, but certainly no added fertiliser.

Due to the fact that I will be using tomato specific liquid ferts, I will probably add only half dose of the planned solids now, and more later if needed.

Regards,

Tim

Back