food Mixed Pepper Jelly

6 cups of sugar
large bowl of mixed chiles from freezer or fresh, any chiles will work 12 ounces chopped is the ratio
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 oz liquid pectin, 2 packages, or one whole box
2 tbl lemon juice
1 tbl butter

Blend chiles with half the vinegar, i left the seeds in the chiles but you can remove for better looking jelly, add this to your pot with the sugar, remaining vinegar, lemon juice.
Bring up to a boil and add the butter. The butter will keep your jelly from getting foamy. If a lot of foam appears you need to skim it off with a ladle. Boil for 10 mins hard, add the packages of pectin and return to a boil for 1 to 2 mins.
I used 4 oz jelly jars for this and i ended up with 12 4 oz jars and 3 8 oz jars. This recipe works fine with less chiles than shown in my picture.
Make sure your lids and jars are sterilized first in your canner at 200 degrees for ten minutes.
Ladle the jelly into your sterilized jars and fill to about the first line. Put the lids on but not to tight and place back in canner for 10 minutes at 200 degrees for ten minutes to seal.
Always check to make sure your jars have sealed. If you find some that haven't sealed you can place them in the fridge and they will seal.

P8280158.jpg

P8280157.jpg

P8280156.jpg

close to 25. I would lower it to about 20 and you will be fine. I think the proper amount is 6 ounces of red and 6 ounces of green chiles chopped.

Back