• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Mold, Yeast or ???

Just saw this today. The pics aren't the best but can anyone tell what this is on top of my mash?

Attachments

• IMG_4515.jpg
    IMG_4515.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4514.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4511.jpg
    IMG_4511.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 145
I'm no expert but that looks like yeast to me. I would just leave it and let it keep going - if it's mold, you're gonna get black/green/blue stuff. All white and it's likely just yeast. How long has it been going? If it's already a month, you can pop it, take a smell and if it smells good just scrape off the top. I really only trust my nose when it comes to ferments - I have plenty that are quite old and look terrible but smell (and taste) wonderful.

Tend to agree with Siv above ^.

Only thing I would add is if the white stuff is hairy, that's most likely mold. However, I enlarged your pics and it looks smooth to me. I'd follow Siv's advice. The nose knows.

I'm no expert but that looks like yeast to me. I would just leave it and let it keep going - if it's mold, you're gonna get black/green/blue stuff. All white and it's likely just yeast. How long has it been going? If it's already a month, you can pop it, take a smell and if it smells good just scrape off the top. I really only trust my nose when it comes to ferments - I have plenty that are quite old and look terrible but smell (and taste) wonderful.
I started the mash on 10-21-21. Thanks for the help.

Back