• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Money for nothing and chicks for free???

Been growing and selling produce for maybe a decade now.  First at farmers market.  Now online.  We do OK, but not rolling in money or anything.  Have talked with Salsalady who is hands on everything she does.  If she is getting rich, it hasn't gone to her head.  Lucky Dog co-packs so he is not limited by what he can do himself.  But he comes across down to earth, so I don't get the impression he is rolling in it.  Even huge names in the pepper business like Jim Duffy seem to live in humble homes.  Saw a video of his place.  Nice, but not swimming pools and movie stars.

Now I do remember shopping at the North Market in Columbus, OH when a little hot sauce company name of CaJohn's was getting its start.  They seem to have done really well despite their humble beginnings.  So I know some folk make good, but it took years and I am sure much very hard work.

So why does it seem like people believe there is huge money to be made with peppers?  Seems to me it is like most things: Hard work for fair money if you are lucky. 

AJ Drew said:
Been growing and selling produce for maybe a decade now.  First at farmers market.  Now online.  We do OK, but not rolling in money or anything.  Have talked with Salsalady who is hands on everything she does.  If she is getting rich, it hasn't gone to her head.  Lucky Dog co-packs so he is not limited by what he can do himself.  But he comes across down to earth, so I don't get the impression he is rolling in it.  Even huge names in the pepper business like Jim Duffy seem to live in humble homes.  Saw a video of his place.  Nice, but not swimming pools and movie stars.

Now I do remember shopping at the North Market in Columbus, OH when a little hot sauce company name of CaJohn's was getting its start.  They seem to have done really well despite their humble beginnings.  So I know some folk make good, but it took years and I am sure much very hard work.

So why does it seem like people believe there is huge money to be made with peppers?  Seems to me it is like most things: Hard work for fair money if you are lucky. 

If your passion makes enough money to live, then its not work.

Sounds like a fruitful way to live to me.  ;)

It does seem like a tough market to get filthy rich in, but you never know... Look at Huy Fong Foods.

Hogleg and Monsterpeppers, right on.  For me, growing is a fair wage for hard work.  Not a get rich quick plan.  Just seems like some folk have the idea it is the opposite.  I think a lot of it is this whole hottest pepper in the world thing.  OK, so you get lucky with a cross.  Eight years later, it is ready to sell.  The next year, everyone is selling it.  I honestly do not think there is the ton of money there that people think.  In so far as growing produce, how often has anyone heard the term Rich Farmer?  OK, a few start ups in Colorado maybe.

Muskymojo, ye there is that and I am sure a few exceptions.  Just seems like they are few and far between.  Oh well, wife buys lottery tickets and I dont understand that either.

AJ Drew said:

I have good friends who work "regular jobs" - Monday to Friday 9 to 5er type gigs.  They know I'm in business and know what its like; long hours, not being able to cash paychecks when things are slow, filling shifts for employees who don't show, etc etc.  Those good friends understand what's up.

On the other hand I have acquaintances who think and say things like "Wow you own your own business you must be a) rich, b) don't have to work like everyone else, c) should really consider investing in this thing their financial adviser told them about.   :)

I chalk it up to the grass is always greener concept.  You might think farming/making hot sauce/salsa/etc is a path to freedom and riches but in reality it usually is a lot MORE work than most believe it to be.  The solace you take is that at least you're doing something you love instead of working one of those "regular jobs" that don't really work for you. 

Edit:  I can't remember where I saw/read it but iirc Hoy Fung toiled in obscurity for years before the hipsters decided Sriracha was their new ketchup. 

SmokenFire said:

I have good friends who work "regular jobs" - Monday to Friday 9 to 5er type gigs.  They know I'm in business and know what its like; long hours, not being able to cash paychecks when things are slow, filling shifts for employees who don't show, etc etc.  Those good friends understand what's up.

On the other hand I have acquaintances who think and say things like "Wow you own your own business you must be a) rich, b) don't have to work like everyone else, c) should really consider investing in this thing their financial adviser told them about.   :)

I chalk it up to the grass is always greener concept.  You might think farming/making hot sauce/salsa/etc is a path to freedom and riches but in reality it usually is a lot MORE work than most believe it to be.  The solace you take is that at least you're doing something you love instead of working one of those "regular jobs" that don't really work for you. 

Edit:  I can't remember where I saw/read it but iirc Hoy Fung toiled in obscurity for years before the hipsters decided Sriracha was their new ketchup. 

I've had friends tell me I should start selling some sauces I make and then ask me for another free bottle.
They too are under the "grass is always greener" mindset and have no idea how long it takes or costs to grow peppers and make something of it.

Until now......

SmokenFire, you just hit on the next gold mine!!  Hipster Ketchup.
I can see it now..... :high:
Drop a pepper of choice into a relabeled bottle of Heinz/Hunts/Whatever Ketchup
Call it -
"Hips-Up - The Ketchup of Tomorrow, or Today, or Idunno Whenever"
and watch the checks come rolling in. :high: :party: 

hogleg said:

If your passion makes enough money to live, then its not work.

Sounds like a fruitful way to live to me.  ;)

Sort of. Many times your art or passion still requires quite a hustle which can translate into some pretty hard work. Just ask the hot sauce peeps lugging boxes and setting up tents and going door to restaurant door.

SmokenFire, now that you mention the own business bit I do remember when i owned a New Age type store years ago.  Folk thought I was rolling in it back then too.  Not sure what part of the word 'farmer' they do not understand.

BTW, if you want an ultra simple solution to your shopping cart problem check with Pepper Joe person on here now.  He is very open to conversation and I think Pepper Joe switched to a service a while back.  Not sure what the service is, but it does run well and seems transparent.  A little more complicated and i can help you with woocommerse if you are on a wordpress platform.  It just looks complicated.  Can likely also hook you up with yourname@yourdomain.com.  Just gratus, but couldnt dig into it till after first frost.  Ye, IT used to be another thing I did that folk assumed made tons of money.

Back