• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

money tree not doing so good. anybody know what the problem is?

my wife has a green thumb and nearly everything thrives with her touch. once in a while she gets a plant that just won`t do well. we live in a duplex and our neighbor has the same plant in the same window on the same side of the house and it is flourishing. i`ve read they don`t like too much water. leaves are turning yellow/brown in the ends and eventually works its way down the leaf. any suggestions?

20200330_210606_resized.jpg

20200330_210629_resized.jpg

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Not to sound rude but...........  What is the wife doing different????
not sure. the people recently moved so i cannot ask them. i read that they don`t like much water  but my wife has cut down on watering and only adding a small amount when potting soil is very dry. we have other different plants right next to it that are doing fantastic. 

this plant is a dieffenbachia that is next to the money tree and it just put out this flower. 

20200331_195339_resized.jpg

20200331_195356_resized.jpg

she really does have a pretty good green thumb but we can`t really nail the money tree down. i just thought someone here would see the leaf in the OP and know what is up.  :cheers:

Hi LMSP..Glad to see if I can offer any help.
.I have my 2 money tree plants  located in the NE part of our home,not too too close to the window(radiator)) and they gets filtered morning light.
I have the  blind open like you have with the dieffenbachia on the left.One thing it doesn't like direct sunlight,that I find is the main reason
for the yellowing/browning and drying eventually of the leaving..also secondary is watering...in winter I water it every 10 to 14 days or
when I remember to,now before I water I stick my finger in the top soil to see how dry it is...then water around the edges,not the trunk.
I feed it only in spring & summer very little.It also doesn't like to be moved...TBH..I ignore it for the most part. :D
Some Chinese restaurants have them in darkish areas and they seem to like it.so my suggestion for what it's worth,is see if light can be
reduced..give it a few weeks.I know they don't like wet feet.

BTW..I got mine at Stop & Shop..they have plants reduced sometimes with nothing wrong,or minor..for a few bucks.
That Diff., is beautiful..I believe it may belong to the peace lily family..not sure..the flower reminds me..it's a nice looking plant,
your wife does have a Green thumb. ;) Get her  some orchids..hint hint "Mother's Day" gift...have quite a few.
Happy Growing...seems like we have a bit of cold weather this week..we need a break.

thanks, i will pass this to her. it is in a north facing window with diffused light. in may actually be a lack of light causing the browning. the plant hasn`t been moved in months and it`s previous spot is where the diff. sits now, about 3 feet away. we will try even less water and slightly more light. thank you!!!

Back