• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

monster naga it isn't

I have a very strange pod that was supposed to have been a monster naga. It looks similar to a aribibi gusano with spikes. the plant only yielded 2 pods. the pod pictured is the only one to exhibit the spikes.

Attachments

• DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00099.JPG
    DSC00099.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 54
This is a really interesting pod to say the very least. Upon cutting it open, it smelled immediately like a baccatum. Interestingly, it tastes just like a Brazilian starfish. It is thin walled and very similar in bite to the starfish. I accidentally cut into one of the seeds and I remembered one of Nigel Carters reviews where he described the seeds adding to the flavor profile of the pepper. This is where it gets strange. Chewing the seed revealed a chinense note. Not real strong, but very noticeable. I recovered 10 seeds from this pod and will be adding this to the coming years grow list. I consumed the whole pod as I entered this post. It is not even close to habanero heat but leaves a lasting sting on the top and sides of the tongue. Since its identity is a mystery, I will refer to it as the spiky monster. Additional note,There appears to be some corking occurring as can be seen in the following pics.

Attachments

• DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 51
CAPCOM said:
I managed to get 10 seeds from the pod. not a lot, but maybe enough.

Aji Yellow??
yes aka AJI AMARILLO the most commonly used pepper in Peruvian cooking,not only does it have the shape and color but also the Cylyx looks like a characteristic Baccatum trait Which AJI YELLOW is, i have also seen them with spikes at times
i grow it every year and is a top favorite
just a guess
thanks your friend Joe

ChiliNoob said:
I grew two Aji Amarillos this year, one of them produced pods with spikes like that.  Unfortunately the pods haven't ripened yet and my season is just about over.
Wow, I think you are farther north than me and all my stuff is under roof now. we have had three mild frosts so far and they are calling for a possible hard frost tonight.

ajijoe said:
yes aka AJI AMARILLO the most commonly used pepper in Peruvian cooking,not only does it have the shape and color but also the Cylyx looks like a characteristic Baccatum trait Which AJI YELLOW is, i have also seen them with spikes at times
i grow it every year and is a top favorite
just a guess
thanks your friend Joe
Joe, do the amarillos deviate that much in size and shape? My pod dont resemble anything like the ones Judy is selling (see this weeks sale).

CAPCOM said:
Wow, I think you are farther north than me and all my stuff is under roof now. we have had three mild frosts so far and they are calling for a possible

Joe, do the amarillos deviate that much in size and shape? My pod dont resemble anything like the ones Judy is selling (see this weeks sale).
hard frost tonight.
yes they can very much in fact i have seen them as small as 3 inches and as long as 9 inch maybe 10

CAPCOM said:
I have a very strange pod that was supposed to have been a monster naga. It looks similar to a aribibi gusano with spikes. the plant only yielded 2 pods. the pod pictured is the only one to exhibit the spikes.

Who did you get that from I think I have the same seed was supposed to be monster naga BUT

Spankyscolts said:
Yea me too everything that was supposed to be King Naga or Monster Naga turned out to be some type of Aji including one strange looking pod see it here

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50632-what-the-h-is-this/#entry1065176

What was he banned for ?
have a good read, probably has a lot to do with this last entry. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44229-brain-strain-pepper-heads-2014-grow-500-in-the-ground-611/page-9
and this http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42081-coheeds-2014-and-beyond-seed-train-now-accepting-members-for-round-3/page-27

Back