• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Monsterhook87's 2013-2014 Grow Log

This will be my third year of growing peppers, but the first to document it and share my experience.

My past experiences with growing peppers has been mixed.  It all started when I bought some bhut jolokia's at the supermarket and sowed the seed in my mom's garden in late September.  A couple seedlings came up, and thanks to our mild winters in Houston, the plant easily survived the winter and turned into a monster of a plant, producing well over 1,000 pods in it's first season.  That same spring, I grew several other varieties, including Red 7 Pod Brain Strains, and had several amazing plants.  This past season, however, I vastly increased the number of varieties from 7 to about 15. Due to a lack of time, and honestly, effort, this past season was a complete bust.  The only success I had was with a small C. Chacoense plant, a Trinidad Douglah, and a Zimbabwe Bird Pepper.  All my plants stayed small and suffered from lots of flower drop. This year, I'm taking things more seriously, devoting the proper time and money, and will be growing 25+ different varieties, with a couple possible F1s in the mix as well.  Here's my current grow list:

African Bird's Eye
Aji Chunco
Aji Limon
CAP 691
Carolina Reaper
Datil
Dedo de Moca
Fresno
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Havasu, F1
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Large Cumari
Long Dutch Red Hot
Malagueta
Most Prolific Chacoense
Orange Manzano
Peruvian White Habanero
Red Bhut Jolokia
Red Jelly Devils
Red Jellybean
Shishito
Tabasco
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Wild Brazil
Yellow 7 Pod Brain Strain
Zimbabwe Bird
Yellow Brain Strain x Frutescens, F1
Unknown Frutescens
Tahiti Pepper

The last three on the list should be pretty interesting.  The Yellow BS was growing next to what I believe to be some sort of frutescens, though I'm unable to identify which one it is.  I cross pollinated (the plants were growing into each other despite being about 4 feet apart) and collected seeds from the cross-pollinated pod.  The last on the list also appears to be a frutescens family pepper, being very similar to a Tabasco.  A friend of mine spent a month in Tahiti, and the people she stayed with had a pepper plant that they claimed was native to the island.  She brought me back about a hundred pods, from which I harvested seeds.

About a week ago, I planted approximately 3 of each variety in some rockwool.  They are currently on a heat pad with T5 lighting for the time being.  I've got about 3 seedlings (pics coming soon) popped up.  An interesting note is that the only varieties to pop up yet are all frutescens.  Not sure if there's anything to that or if that's just how it worked out.  I plan on moving all of the seedlings into soil and growing them indoor until they are proper size.  I'm hoping to begin my first attempt at hydro soon, and I'll be choosing a few plants for that.  Any suggestions on cheap, yet effective systems are welcome.  Space isn't much of an issue, and I'm looking mostly at trying DWC in 5 gallon buckets.

Nice! Best of luck with the list :)

Everything's starting to get going here, with the Tabasco taking the lead.  I'm trying out seeds from two sources this year, some being purchased and some being from my 2012 plant.  

IMG_20131204_101831-1.png

More updates to come.

Update time. Let's start off with the germination rates:

African Bird's Eye 4/4
Aji Chuncho 1/3
Aji Limon 7/8
Bhut Jolokia 3/3
CAP 691 3/5
Carolina Reaper 3/3
Datil 4/6
Dedo de Moca 6/6
Fresno 4/4
Giant Mexican Rocoto 0/2
Havasu F1 2/3
Hawaiian Sweet Hot 3/3
Large Cumari 3/3
Long Dutch Red Hot 4/4
Malagueta 3/3
Most Prolific Chacoense 3/3
Orange Manzano 3/3
Peruvian White Habanero 1/3
Red Jelly Devils 3/4
Red Jellybean 2/2
Shishito 0/4
Tabasco 4/4
Tahiti 3/4
Trinidad Douglah 3/3
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 2/3
Unknown Frutescens 3/3
Wild Brazil 2/4
Yellow Brain Strain F1 4/6
Zimbabwe Bird 3/6

At this point in time, only two peppers at at 0% - the shishito and Giant Mexican Rocotos.  The shishito seeds seem to be molding before they can go anywhere.  Previously, I'd begun germinating using the damp papertowel method, and I was only seeing 2/25 germinating.  Those, unfortunately, died when I neglected them a couple days and they dried out.  The Giant Mexican Rocoto has been nothing but trouble.  Last year, none of the seeds germinated.  I was 0/16 or so, and I used 3 or 4 methods before I gave up.  This year, I used the paper towel method as well and got 2 to germinate, but one died randomly right after popping out, and the other died when after I transferred it to the rockwool.  I'm out of seeds for this pepper, so for the time being, I'm giving up on them.  I never have heard of anyone having success with this type. Also, despite being one of the fastest bloomers last year, the Peruvian White Hab is just now sending up one seedling.  The Orange Manzanos are doing amazingly well, despite a terrible showing last year.  Overall, I'm fairly pleased, as I have a 77.4% success rate.  I'm expecting some to pop any day.

Tabascos.png

Peppers.png

I also encountered something unexpected with one of the handful of pepper plants still in the ground from this past season.  I had grown a massive Fatalii plant at my parents house a couple of years ago, and this past spring, a volunteer plant showed up.  It quickly got overrun by bugs, and it seemed to be done for.  It was left alone, with plans to pull it out later.  I went over to it yesterday just to see if the cold had finally done it in, and to my surprise, I found this:

FataliiF1.png

Looks nothing like a Fatalii, except for the fact that it is yellow.  It does, however, have the same shape, size, and flavor of the Peruvian White Hab that happened to be growing in another bed about 50 feet away.  Interestingly enough, though, it was quite bumpy and almost spikey, something that neither the fatalii nor the white hab exhibited.  The heat was not as hot as either of these peppers either.  So I have no idea what I have here.  Not sure if it's a cross or just a result of the pod developing in unusually cold weather.  I saved the seeds and have also added them to my grow list.

Monsterhook87 said:
Update time. Let's start off with the germination rates:

African Bird's Eye 4/4
Aji Chuncho 1/3
Aji Limon 7/8
Bhut Jolokia 3/3
CAP 691 3/5
Carolina Reaper 3/3
Datil 4/6
Dedo de Moca 6/6
Fresno 4/4
Giant Mexican Rocoto 0/2
Havasu F1 2/3
Hawaiian Sweet Hot 3/3
Large Cumari 3/3
Long Dutch Red Hot 4/4
Malagueta 3/3
Most Prolific Chacoense 3/3
Orange Manzano 3/3
Peruvian White Habanero 1/3
Red Jelly Devils 3/4
Red Jellybean 2/2
Shishito 0/4
Tabasco 4/4
Tahiti 3/4
Trinidad Douglah 3/3
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 2/3
Unknown Frutescens 3/3
Wild Brazil 2/4
Yellow Brain Strain F1 4/6
Zimbabwe Bird 3/6

At this point in time, only two peppers at at 0% - the shishito and Giant Mexican Rocotos.  The shishito seeds seem to be molding before they can go anywhere.  Previously, I'd begun germinating using the damp papertowel method, and I was only seeing 2/25 germinating.  Those, unfortunately, died when I neglected them a couple days and they dried out.  The Giant Mexican Rocoto has been nothing but trouble.  Last year, none of the seeds germinated.  I was 0/16 or so, and I used 3 or 4 methods before I gave up.  This year, I used the paper towel method as well and got 2 to germinate, but one died randomly right after popping out, and the other died when after I transferred it to the rockwool.  I'm out of seeds for this pepper, so for the time being, I'm giving up on them.  I never have heard of anyone having success with this type. Also, despite being one of the fastest bloomers last year, the Peruvian White Hab is just now sending up one seedling.  The Orange Manzanos are doing amazingly well, despite a terrible showing last year.  Overall, I'm fairly pleased, as I have a 77.4% success rate.  I'm expecting some to pop any day.

Tabascos.png

Peppers.png

I also encountered something unexpected with one of the handful of pepper plants still in the ground from this past season.  I had grown a massive Fatalii plant at my parents house a couple of years ago, and this past spring, a volunteer plant showed up.  It quickly got overrun by bugs, and it seemed to be done for.  It was left alone, with plans to pull it out later.  I went over to it yesterday just to see if the cold had finally done it in, and to my surprise, I found this:

FataliiF1.png

Looks nothing like a Fatalii, except for the fact that it is yellow.  It does, however, have the same shape, size, and flavor of the Peruvian White Hab that happened to be growing in another bed about 50 feet away.  Interestingly enough, though, it was quite bumpy and almost spikey, something that neither the fatalii nor the white hab exhibited.  The heat was not as hot as either of these peppers either.  So I have no idea what I have here.  Not sure if it's a cross or just a result of the pod developing in unusually cold weather.  I saved the seeds and have also added them to my grow list.

Wow your seedlings seem to be coming up fast and vigorous! How long before their cotys get thick like that? What are you giving them in that rock wool? =)

That is a groovy looking fatalii variant. Can't go wrong with the peruvian white flavor!.

Have a great grow, will be following along!

Hey. 'Hook, nice start with the sprouts.
Should be a great start to your season!

Well, bad news.  After repotting some of the larger seedlings into solo cups, my tray was half empty with small seedlings in rockwool.  As there was space inbetween the rows (I cut the rows into groupings of the same pepper), and I forgot to check the seedlings on New Year's Eve, the rockwool dried out quicker than usual, and I managed to kill half of the remaining seedlings.  Never had that problem starting seedlings in soil.  Chalk it up to inexperience as this is my first time starting in rockwool. I replanted seeds for the varieties I lost, as well as adding a couple of peppers to my grow list.  I'll update the grow list once some seeds I've recently purchased come in as well. I'm also looking to purchase a couple of 5-gallon DWC systems to try my hand at hydroponics, too.  Gonna visit the local hydro store and do my research before trying it out, though.  If anyone has any info on building your own DWC system for less, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the drought.
God on ya for carrying on bravely!

The little 'Fatali' pod might turn out to
be something interesting!

I guess I'm well passed due for an update.  I have updated my grow list, which I will get around to fixing later. Also, I planted a whole new tray of peppers about a month ago, and those are doing well, with the exception of a recent watering error made in my absence by a friend of mine.  Ended up having a flooded tray and quite a few casualties from dampening off.  Just doesn't seem to be my year for growing peppers.  Pics to come later, though nothing too exciting. Once our weather warms up permanently here in Houston, I can start getting things going. Can't wait til that happens, but until then, my little peppers will just have to struggle on in the closet.

Spicegeist said:
What do the survivors look like?

I had very little hope for any survivors, but some have made it.  I'm in desperate need of repotting for the larger ones, but haven't had the time with life being so crazy. Major car accidents, my girlfriend having the first of 2 painful knee surgeries (unrelated to the car accident), and work just being busier.  In any case, I'm finally seeing some success.  I finally have a proper potting soil that I began a bunch of new seed in, with the first hook having come up this morning.  Pics of those will come in a bit once I get home from work.

Well I'm back.  I've been on hiatus as life has just been super busy, from work to vacation to my girlfriend having knee surgery.  All the while, I've managed to revive quite a few of those original plants that I'd thought were gonners, as well as growing out some more types in a new round of growing.  I have to go back again and make a final grow list for the year.  

This is the first time I've tried air-pruning containers.  I got this idea, like most, from Pepper-Guru and his unbelievable plants he's gotten using this technique.  It was a mixture of wanting to just try it and not having the ground to plant many plants.  My containers are much smaller, ranging from the 5 gallon-25 gallon range, but so far, I've gotten some great results.  I find that once the roots establish in the containers, growth will just explode in a matter of days.  Without further ado, I'll show some of my results this year...

1.png

Here is my prized plant of the year, my Aji Orchid.  I've never tried this type, but I've always been fascinated by it's shape.  Having grown a few c. baccatum in my time, I have come to realize I really like their very sweet flavor.  This is the plant about a week after being transplanted on May 7.  Looking pretty good for a late start.

2.png

This is the same plant just under a week later.  Some significant growth, leaves are nice and green and pretty large.

3.png

This is mid June.  Things are looking great.  This is about the time that I stopped clipping flowers.  

4.png

And here she is today.  I've had about 10 excellent peppers ripen from this plant so far with a couple dozen on the plant right now.  The plant itself is about 4 ft tall, and it's still growing quite quickly.  For whatever reason, I don't have any pictures of ripe pods, though I have a couple waiting at home for me to cook later.  

Here's some of the other plants I've got going right now.

5.png

Bhut Jolokia

9.png

Aji Limon

7.png

Dedo de Moca

6.png

Carolina Reaper (transplanted this week)

8.png

Hawaiian Sweet Hot

I should be on here more regularly since things have calmed down, though no promises.  Hope you enjoy!

Back