• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

More fiery beer......

I`ve been chatting a lot with the Head Brewer at Iron Fist Brewery in Vista, CA, about brewing beers with chilis. He grew Bhuts this year and had already tried a couple of Bhut-laced beers only available at the Tasting Room so far. One called "Death of a Blonde" which was vanilla and Bhut-laced Blonde (Renegade Blonde) and "Death of a Brunette" which was vanilla and Bhut-laced Stout (Velvet Glove).

http://ironfistbrewing.com/

Anyway, I dropped off a variety pack of peppers a couple of weeks ago and on tuesday I tried, for the first time, their Stout (Velvet Glove) that had been treated to a bath with vanilla pods and one 7-pot douglah! The Head Brewer tried it for the first time with me. Holy crap, was it good. The flavor of the Douglah was so much better than the Bhut they`d used previously with the vanilla and stout. It was a little too hot to be useful, but he`s now working on that. He also has some Manzanos, Aji lemon, Scotch bonnets and Douglahs to play with. 

The beers aren`t ready yet, but when they are I hope to do a few reviews    :P

Those sound so yummy. When I was in Boulder, Co for a summer a brewery there had a few hot beers. They were really good. One is a ghost pepper beer called Ghost Faced Killah and the other is called Billy's Chilies. I do not know if they sell outside of Colorado, but it is worth trying to find. The brewery is called Twisted Pine. http://www.twistedpinebrewing.com/yearroundales

We talked to the head brewmaster one day about the Ghost Faced Killah and he said that people at festivals wanted a hotter beer than the Billy's Chilies so they went all out to please them. 

Love chili beers.  Had the Stone Crime and Punishment, both very tasty. Punishment is hotter. We have an Imperial Stout sitting in a bourbon barrel that will go into a pin for a cask fest in a few weeks. We are going to add a Reaper to the pin and the beer is going to be called Reaper Madness.

Sounds great. Brian from Ghostpepperstore.com sent some Primos to me earlier in the year and another brewery - The Belching Beaver, put them in a Randall with lots of orange peel, then ran their Double IPA through it. The first few pints were HOT, but after about 12-14 it was brilliant!.

I also liked Stone`s Crime and Punishment very much. 

I`m also experimenting with using powders in beer at the dry-hop stage. It seems like it should be easier to control the flavours and heat that way, but we`ll see.

Nigel said:
I`m also experimenting with using powders in beer at the dry-hop stage. It seems like it should be easier to control the flavours and heat that way, but we`ll see.
Oh boy, when that powder turns to sludge at the bottom of the drinking vessel, that individual is in for a surprise. I like to use the pods the way one would dry hop and/or place a pod or two to the keg.

Jobu said:
Oh boy, when that powder turns to sludge at the bottom of the drinking vessel, that individual is in for a surprise. I like to use the pods the way one would dry hop and/or place a pod or two to the keg.
I was thinking I`d put it in a muslin bag, so that what you describe wouldn`t happen. 

I wonder if Iron Fist will ever distribute that particular beer out this way, or if they will just keep it in house. If they don't release it for distribution, I guess it's going to be a Vista trip for me in the near future. Sounds too good not to have a taste.

Nigel said:
Just playing with friends who are, Jim. 

I see.  Can you tell me what hop varieties work best with c.chinense?  I realize the revolution is still in its infancy, but, perhaps you've made some early discoveries.

Nelson is pretty good with C.chinense, as is Gouldings and Fuggles.

Styles that appear to work include IPAs, Double IPAs, Stouts, Kolsch Blondes.

What I`d like to see, Jim, is an American Sour Ale plus C.baccatum. Interested?

Nigel said:
Nelson is pretty good with C.chinense, as is Gouldings and Fuggles.

Styles that appear to work include IPAs, Double IPAs, Stouts, Kolsch Blondes.

What I`d like to see, Jim, is an American Sour Ale plus C.baccatum. Interested?

Interested?  Me??  I must respectfully decline, but, thanks anyway.

Goldings and Fuggles?  I can well imagine the reaction one of your countrymen might have if you were to taint his English mild with a 7 Pot Brown!  Lovely!!

I know a few that could manage such a beer. Mild would probably be a good vehicle for something warm! 

Nigel,

Russian River/Jolly Pumpkin/the Bruery/Cascade Brewing all make excellent Sour Ales. Most come in corked bottles. Get yourself one, dose it with the c.baccatum of your choice, re-cork it, let it sit until your pepper of choice is integrated and you are good to go.

Jobu said:
Nigel,

Russian River/Jolly Pumpkin/the Bruery/Cascade Brewing all make excellent Sour Ales. Most come in corked bottles. Get yourself one, dose it with the c.baccatum of your choice, re-cork it, let it sit until your pepper of choice is integrated and you are good to go.
Thanks for that suggestion. 

Back