• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod More mixed up seeds

Hi folks,
I have what looks like some kind of super hot here, but it's turning yellow. As far as I know, the only really dangerous peppers I have growing are Naga Morich and Carolina Reaper, which I don't really think this can be, although with me being far from an expert... 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20240912_184445_610.jpg
    IMG_20240912_184445_610.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 46
I did a Yandex image search :

There's resemblance to quite a few peppers.
I'm going with
:?: Green Savina Habanero

I also think they kinda look like a ghost pepper
Screenshot_202409gp-103336_1.png

Last edited:
I did a Yandex image search :

There's resemblance to quite a few peppers.
I'm going with
:?: Green Savina Habanero

I also think they kinda look like a ghost pepper
As you say, there are several potential candidates, but I'm starting to think I must be doing too much overtime and am in dire need of a holiday. The first pod on my known Reaper plant has just started to ripen (photo below) and on seeing it I googled "do carolina reapers turn yellow?". Lo and behold, part of one answer was "Even red peppers will start out as green and turn orange before becoming a deep red".
Somebody PLEASE try and convince me I wasn't already aware of this, at least at some subconscious level :point::seeya:.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-14 at 21.14.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-14 at 21.14.06.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 14
That doesn't look anything like a Reaper, even an unripe one. It's not the right shape nor is it bumpy enough.
Thanks for the info, HF. I had just gone by what was on the packet, but after you posted I checked again. Think I'll just give up trying to figure it out until it turns fully ripe, but whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it'll be hot enough for me :hell:.

Just got back from a short holiday, and the pepper in the original picture seems to have fully ripened to yellow now. What I hadn't noticed before, is that there are some pretty much "bonnet shaped" peppers growing on the same plant. Would that maybe suggest that it could be some kind of unintentional hybrid seeds I've been sold, or might there be some other reason?

Attachments

• bonnet or not.jpg
    bonnet or not.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 11
Yes, it might be an unintentional cross, or there may have been a mix-up with the seeds and it could be another variety entirely from what you expected. I have had yellow Bonnet plants that put out inconsistent phenos like that before. So the inconsistency doesn't necessarily mean that it is a cross. The heat and flavor might also give you clues. Do they taste and burn like a yellow Bonnet, or no?

Yes, it might be an unintentional cross, or there may have been a mix-up with the seeds and it could be another variety entirely from what you expected. I have had yellow Bonnet plants that put out inconsistent phenos like that before. So the inconsistency doesn't necessarily mean that it is a cross. The heat and flavor might also give you clues. Do they taste and burn like a yellow Bonnet, or no?
I left the larger pod on the plant to see if there are any further colour changes, but I harvested the small one and tried it. I have never tried a yellow Scotch Bonnet before, but the heat level seems pretty similar to the red ones I had two years ago if memory serves. It was certainly hot enough to give me the hiccups and make my forehead leak by just eating a chunk of the flesh, which is roughly what happened with the red ones at the time. That is really about the closest comparison I can manage in all honesty, given my limited experience with anything hotter than 100,000 Scoville.

Back