• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Moruga Scorpion or hybrids?

Hey there, I'm having some concerns regarding the purity of my Moruga Scorpion, so I'd like to ask you guys for your opinion. Some of the Pods have a sting. The pics I could find online look slightly different from mine, so what's your opinion: are they Morugas or were my seeds compromised?

gYhBY.jpg

KTbER.jpg

leVkz.jpg

I'm looking forward to your input!

Those look like Moruga Scorps to me

Really? How long has this pepper been out? A year or so. And before you try to say it's been out longer, I'm sure you remember that it WAS called the "Marouga." Then all of a sudden it was called the "Maruga." I don't know if it was a typo by whomever was "brilliant" enough to come up with the pepper, but either way, it's referred to as a completely different pepper. Now if it IS the "Marouga," there are a LOT of people that need to correct their typos. Which leads me to believe that this pepper has, in fact, only been around for a year or so. There for it is NOT stable.

I've never heard Marouga before. People were mistakenly calling it Trinidad scorpion Morouga for a while but I believe the region in Trinidad is actually Moruga. This pepper has only been in the online pepper community for a few years but as far as I know its quite stable.
The confusion is with the red(and yellow) Morugas which are/were Trinidad landrace chiles but are not super-hot or crazy wicked looking

Thank you for clearing that up and for the nice compliments! - I got my seeds from Jim Duffy but cross-pollination happens in the best houses, so i thought I'd ask you guys.
Really looking forward to tasting them, hope I can take it.

Go to TheHippySeedCo.com, go to the Carribean Nuclear section, and look at the second pepper. It has been on his site ever since I have known Neil, which has been awhile.
People on the site have referred to this same pepper as the "Marouga" until this new one came out. My post count may not be as high as some, but I have read a LOT of posts on this site, and have always seen this pepper spelled with an "O" until now. And guess what? The pepper looks EXACTLY the same.
Everyone can buy into the hype if you want. I'm not denying the fact that it's a hot pepper. I'm just not buying into the B.S. that this pepper had a letter removed and has come out of nowhere.

What new one?
Neil likes to add the u but he actually knows its not correct. He says its the Aussie spelling like colour vs. color
Moruga scorpion, or Morouga scorpion, they are the same pepper named after the Moruga region of Trinidad where they grow. People just realised they were spelling it wrong and changed, there is no new pepper
Moruga red and yellow are totally different peppers

Dear Hot Pooper CARDI has a Landrace called Mrouga Red and Moruga Yellow. They are just plain habanero types. I am a personal friend of Neil and that is what he had on his site for about the last 4 years. I purchased my seeds in 2009 from Jukka who is a renowned pepper grower in Finland. Jukka has been growing for a very long time. You may think what would a pepper grower from Finalnd know. Well Finland has one of the largest known databases on chiles and his home to many greenhouse chile enthusiasts. Jukka obatained his seeds from Christopher Phillips in 2007-2008. Chris obtained his seeds from a colleague in Tobago. In my opinion Chris is one of the most respected growers on THP. Outside of THP he is also respected by his peers like Allan Boatman, Jim Campbell and John Feidler. So I have reciepts from 2009-2010 showing my purchase of seeds from Jukka. As far as names go names mean nothing. But this pepper was and has been called Trinidad Moruga Blend, Moruga Blend, Moruga Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend etc. Reason is was spelled wrong is nobody really new correct spelling of that area in Trinidad. So we have seen it called Maruga and Morouga etc. If you have any further doubts on this pepper I suggest you direct your questions to Christopher Philips or Jukka (fatalii.net). Have a nice day:)

The original seed source in Tobago asked for them to be called Trinidad scorpion Moruga/Morouga blend and I would encourage others to respect these wishes
Moruga red and yellow are maybe somewhat more hab shaped but I certainly wouldn't call them "plain habanero type"

Sorry I should have used the term "a habanero type" for Moruga Red and Moruga Yellow" They look like a smaller version of their Congo Peppers. I did not mean to downgrade them in any way by using the word plain.

Back