Mother nature vs. Intervention

Have been growing x, y, and z long before a focus on peppers.  At first, the slightest little thing gave me concern and I treated every plant as a good friend.  Today, much more relaxed and look at the gardens more like single entities rather than individual plants.  Still have my specials, but for the most part each of the patches / fields is a flock more than it is an individual duck.

Sure there are things which will devastate, but the longer I live the more I wonder if intervention is often more damaging than seeing if things will clear up on their own.  Probably the best example, over watering and nut burn.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm 61 and have been growing peppers for 20 some years. Used to screw with them all the time. Now I just wait for the last frost, and put 'em out. Water when they look saggy. Pick off bugs, nute when they look needy.

I learned so much from this web site...

Jakester - One of the things that is great about THP is that although focused on peppers, the members are diverse.  Have gotten advise on tillers, lawnmowers, and other things that dont necessarily focus on peppers.  Gotta know, are you a Mother Earth News type?  I used to be but they have gone so commercial recently I dont subscribe anymore.

ajdrew said:
Still have my specials and nut burn.

First, LOL @ Nut Burn ... Second, I think there are alway the specials and the others. I have 24 plants this year. 2 are basically coddled house plants taking up half of the living room. The other 22 go on a table I made in the back yard.

The table peppers are looked over once a day after work. They are watered with the hose, and fed with a sprayer (new.. only used for feeding peppers)

The living room peppers are my intended crossing project for the season and they are examined regularly, looked at all throughout the day, and get water PH balanced and more effort put into feeding schedule.

So I guess I kind of do both. I have my pepper table that gets nature, and I have my house peppers that get intervention

Not really, although I do go around the house on windy days trying to find air leaks, and am thinking about buying several months of storable food, just in case.

Heat is geo-thermal, basement duct is insulated; huh, now you got me thinking...

LordHill, oh damn them pain pills are doing their job.  Nutrient burn, Nut burn, did I really say that.  Now that you mention it, I have set my scrotum on fire a few times.  After cutting up peppers, I almost always take a shower.  If you scrub down there with your hands, oh damn the sack gets warm.

Jakester, ye my windows blow.  Hoping to replace them next couple of years.  Want to do it with those window green house things on the south side.

Back