• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Mouse-bitten truncata

A mouse, before it was caught, managed to take a few chomps out of this Nepenthes truncata leaf.

IMG_6382-1.jpg

The pitcher was just a tendril tip at the time and wasn't damaged, but that mouse was attracted to a few other pitcher's peristomes...

IMG_6411-99.jpg

...it obviously had a real sweet tooth for them....

IMG_6398-1.jpg

...sometimes the mouse gets the truncata, but sometimes the truncata gets the mouse too.... ;)

These pitchers can get up to 24" tall, and do catch the occasional unlucky mouse...digesting everything except for the hair. :cool:

dvg

i bought one of those 3 pack sonic rodent devices from costco, since i have never had a mouse problem. i even have a big chewy, goob of peanut butter i leave on a trap close by, just to entice them. but since i put these mouse noise makers in place, never have caught a mouse....... i use to snap 2-3 a day.

good luck and hope your season is booming along.

i bought one of those 3 pack sonic rodent devices from costco, since i have never had a mouse problem. i even have a big chewy, goob of peanut butter i leave on a trap close by, just to entice them. but since i put these mouse noise makers in place, never have caught a mouse....... i use to snap 2-3 a day.

Reeeaalllyyy!

That CP is awesome Doug!
I always dig the awesomeness of the pics you post! :cool:
Kevin

Thanks BC, we gotta make the most of our condensed growing season... :dance:

I might hve to try one of those sonics.

Do they make an audible sound...to humans?

that thing is wicked looking!!

Thanks Ed!

Here is a pic of a more mature N. truncata...with flared peristome.

truncred21.jpg

This pussycat could easily take a mouse. :eek:

Reeeaalllyyy!

That CP is awesome Doug!
I always dig the awesomeness of the pics you post! :cool:
Kevin

Thanks Kevin! :)

dvg

nope, doesn't even seem to bug the dog as she likes to slip into the garage to snoop around.

Hmmm...and i thought dogs had good hearing...kinda makes me wonder what sonic range rodents are tuning in at...if ya look, there was probably a study done... ;)

Cool, I find some similar.... what ever is native here, brought one back and planted by the lake, but no dice... :beer:

The only native Nepenthes plants are found at Home Depot or Agristarts in Florida, where tissue cultured clones are released en masse...otherwise these plants are only found in Borneo, Sumatra, Australia, the Phillipines and other areas of Malaysia.

Unfortunately, Florida is too cool to grow Neps outside year round since they don't tolerate frost very well at all, but plenty of growers in FLA grow these plants either indoors in sunny windows or under lights and in greenhouses. :cool:

That pitcher is really cool big D!

Thanks Dan! ;) :cool:

dvg

Back