• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Move Over, Groundhog Day!!

From the time I was a pup growing up in the north and norther of Minnesota, I would hear all the fisherman's tales from the "old hats" of my time, including advice on signs of late and early Spring, Fall, and the depth of winters up here. 

One I was reminded of a week or so ago was the forecast of red wing blackbirds. Unlike the barn swallows, orioles and robins, blackbirds set their migrations by some internal knowledge of coming conditions. They usually show up around here in the last days of March, before the ice-out but just in time for establishing whatever territories they choose. They come in monstrous flocks, the din so loud you can feel it in your teeth. But when those blackbirds flock in, Spring is right on their heels.

No shit, boys & girls, our first flock of red wing blackbirds flew in a little over a week ago. A smaller flock to be sure, only +/- 100 birds, but they brought the din with them. No, I didn't believe it either, figured they might be the damned starlings, which like to mimic other bird species. but today they were close enough to be positively identified with the binos.

My old man told me this gem of seasonal prediction back in the 60s, he probably first heard it at his pop's knee.

...here's to a great season, THP!

I submit as exhibit #1:

20200207_105746.jpg

I tried to get the pic to stand up, no joy.

Just tip your heads....

Are these the blackbirds that get aggressive?  I used to live in Nebraska years and umhuhhh years ago.  There were these blackbirds that would fly at you and try to run you off when you got close to their territory.  Cant remember if they had red or white markings on their wings but they were mean rascals.

Tybo said:
Are these the blackbirds that get aggressive?  I used to live in Nebraska years and umhuhhh years ago.  There were these blackbirds that would fly at you and try to run you off when you got close to their territory.  Cant remember if they had red or white markings on their wings but they were mean rascals.
I guess that would depend from whose perspective "aggressive" is seen. They do bully the birdfeeders all summer long, and they can be pretty annoying with their constant singing, but around here the only bird that dives and swoops at people habitually are the swallows, barn swallows mostly. I have been the target of a pissed robin now and again, usually right after hatching season begins...

The blackbirds we have here are the red wing and yellow headed, which flock together a lot, the former having a song not unlike Cap'n Kirk flipping his communicator open...

Tybo said:
You may be thinking of Eastern Kingbirds. They fly at you and slap their wings together when you get too close to their nest.
https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/easkin

Around here people think spring is coming when the robins show up, but I’ve since learned that the redwing blackbird is more accurate since they are insect eaters. Personally I think the redwing blackbirds are prettier than the robins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back