• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Moving my Giant Bhut Jolokia indoors for the winter. Thoughts?

I know I've still got probably about 4-6 weeks of pod production from my Giant Bhut Jolokia plant since I'm in the southeast, but I've decided I'd rather move it indoors under my 400w light until spring than overwinter it. After all, it was raised for almost 6 months indoors before moving outside in late March (seed was sown on 10/8/11), so I think it can handle it. It's in a 5-gallon bucket, and I assume it's in desperate need of transplantation to a 10-gallon container to continue growing.

Should I start out with my Metal Halide bulb and switch back to veg nutes to replace all the leaves that it's lost to the summer heat?

If so, should I cut it back a bit to help nudge it back into veg mode?

What is the recommended light schedule? I used to keep it on 18/6, but I'm wondering if after spending a summer out in full sun in northwestern GA, if it would require more light hours per day since my ballast is only 400w.

Once I get it full of foliage again, will it produce pods indoors if I switch back to flowering nutes and use my HPS bulb? Luckily, my ballast will support both, so I can change bulbs any time.

FYI - I use General Organics nutes, which means BioThrive Grow during veg and BioThrive Bloom + BioBud during flower. I use Diamond Black Humic acids at nearly every watering, and CaMg+ with every feeding. Also, totally soilless media (peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and aged pine bark). Including the unripe pods that are on the plant now, it has produced roughly 80 awesome peppers this year, and I figure why wait until next year for more?

All advice is welcome and appreciated! I'll try to get a picture of it up here in the next week, the plant isn't actually at my own residence.

i would cut it back, feed it nutes and put it under your 400 watt. I cut mine back and its bushier than ever. i will post some pics late tonight in my glog. I cut a bunch of plants back and they look better than ever. I use the same nutes btw.

Run my lights 12 hrs.

less light = flower time!

Back