• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Mudda'n'Law Chadon Beni Pepper Sauce

Siv

eXtreme

Mudda'n'Law Chadon Beni Pepper Sauce
Ingredients: Peppers, Salt, Chadon Beni, Garlic, Water, Vinegar, Mustard, Xantham Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Approved food colouring

This is a sauce I picked up at my local grocery store in Trinidad. The maker (Mudda'n'Law foods) has a facebook page so it's not a maker that it completely hidden but they seem to cater to the local market. This is reinforced by the use of chadon beni - this is culantro or Mexican coriander and I had never heard of it prior to coming to Trinidad. It's a long flat leaf that smells like coriander and tastes similar but is notably different to me, particularly as I have grown up eating lots of coriander.

Since it's a local sauce, the peppers are almost certainly scotch bonnet. It's pretty tasty and I like the consistency - it's slightly chunky and I was surprised to find some nice chunks of scotch bonnet in the mix and the seeds are obviously present. I would guess that the majority of the scotch bonnet used are yellow however I did find pieces of red and green in there which is pretty common to see on the shelves here when buying fresh peppers.

It's pretty hot and tasty but not dynamite. To give you an idea of my "dosage" I'll include a pic of the loading I used on a sandwich to add some zing - probably about two teaspoons - however it's not so spicy that I couldn't eat it plain without too much suffering. You get a little hint of acid but the vinegar isn't overpowering. It's tasty but average, there's nothing that stands out for me. As you can see from the bottle, it didn't last very long, but I doubt I'd buy it again. My favourite thing about it is the consistency - it's thin enough to pour but thick enough that liberal loadings won't fall out of your sandwich.

Back