• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

multi-meter

Best penny(7.99 shipping) I ever spent, already adjusted the PH on 3 plants. Tested our well water, its 4.5, peat soup came in at 7.0 - 7.5
ph_tester2.jpg

Sure it works, peat is acidic, and here in Fl. well water will be alkaline, we live on a coral sand bar. I would think about gettin your money back.

It looks like he's testing container soil, which could be a mix of anything, plus when it rains, rains and keeps on, the soil can also become acidic. It would be nice to catch it before the leaves start to yellow. If the meters accurate then its an investment. Some calibrate others don't

Those electronic soil test kits are terrible. Their precision is atrocious, and they often aren't even accurate to within high or low pH. I think even a red cabbage test would be more accurate than those...

I have exactly the same meter, and the pH measure is unusable, comparing to the digital pH meter I have it's useless. the other two sensors -moisture and light, are quite good though !

I have exactly the same meter, and the pH measure is unusable, comparing to the digital pH meter I have it's useless. the other two sensors -moisture and light, are quite good though !
Is off by several digits or like .5 when you tested it against your digital?

Sure it works, peat is acidic, and here in Fl. well water will be alkaline, we live on a coral sand bar. I would think about gettin your money back.
that was my point it showed peat soup(peat and water mixed together) 7.0-7.5 and well water at 4.5, I was testing the stuff tah see if the meter worked, I had a some pots come in at 2.5(most where in the 5.5 range) so I added some peat soup to em the numbers literally came up tah about 5.5-6 as the water soaked in.

The moister meter works better than my finger....

By several digits, and the weaker the nutrient mix is, the worse the measures are. If you have a strong mix it differed by 1-1,5 digits, but for tap water the meter showed 6 , reality was 8,4 .

By several digits, and the weaker the nutrient mix is, the worse the measures are. If you have a strong mix it differed by 1-1,5 digits, but for tap water the meter showed 6 , reality was 8,4 .
I totally messed up I was reading the moisture level, I just tested it on apple cider vinegar which says 5% acidity on the label the meter came in at about 5, retested well water came in at 6.75, I'm thinking if the moisture in the pots is high the ph would be more accurate. just did the liquid test and it came back about 7 PH the color was between 7.2-6.8 PH pool kits not the best for precision either.

In my opinion those are terrible, cheap metres which give people a false sense of security, and I think the pH probe is for soil not liquid.

In my opinion those are terrible, cheap metres which give people a false sense of security, and I think the pH probe is for soil not liquid.
Our soil in this area is Alkaline the well water ph varies according to depth of the well, peat raises the acidity of the soil so I can use more peat if I water the plants with a 7.0 well water, looks like I'm gonna be spending more time on UFs Site.

A good ph meter ain't cheap and a cheap ph meter ain't good! How did you test the water? Those can't be used for liquid. Unless you made some kind of slurry or something then the water results won't be accurate. Unadjusted peat should be somewhere around 4. Probably better off just using the test strips to get an idea of your water's ph if you're worried about it.

Ph is a lot less important for container media than soil too.

Well if it helps I have a well, 50 ft or so, 7 or so on the strip. i wouldn't be worried about PH unless ya did something drastic to the native soil. This place is a coral sand bar, that means no Cal mag needed same goes for the well water. If anything maybe a nice load of coffee grounds would be in order. Good luck. The Extension office test is just a few bucks and reliable.

A good ph meter ain't cheap and a cheap ph meter ain't good! How did you test the water? Those can't be used for liquid. Unless you made some kind of slurry or something then the water results won't be accurate. Unadjusted peat should be somewhere around 4. Probably better off just using the test strips to get an idea of your water's ph if you're worried about it.

Ph is a lot less important for container media than soil too.
I tested water using liquid test, had pool at last home. water came in at about 7.0 I know peat is 4.0, since I was mixing my own potting soil PH became a question atm I doubled the peat, was adding 1/2 a 5 gallon to every 10 gallons of base, knowing water is Alkaline acid will not be an issue, so far plants show nice growth.
Well if it helps I have a well, 50 ft or so, 7 or so on the strip. i wouldn't be worried about PH unless ya did something drastic to the native soil. This place is a coral sand bar, that means no Cal mag needed same goes for the well water. If anything maybe a nice load of coffee grounds would be in order. Good luck. The Extension office test is just a few bucks and reliable.
native soil? lol! sand, pine cones/needles,palmetto leaves and palm fronds! Thanks for the input

Back