• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

MULTIPLE STRAINS ONE PLANT

So I saw this on FB is this even possible? and if it is can you explain how its possible.

"Question: Have any of you ever had more than one variety of pods growing on the same plant? I have grown peppers my entire life, and have never seen anything like it. A friend of mine (USA) has a Jalapeno, Red Bell, and Anaheim pods growing on one single plant. All these varieties are planted in his garden, but on one plant there is a mix. I thought he had to be mistaken, and he sent me a video. It's not the best quality, so he will retake it again tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing it. Thank you in advance for any input."​

I've done it...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28709-jcr-glog-re-loaded/page__hl__graft

Its a difficult process - keeping the scion alive, but it can be done with enough attentiveness and the right grafting approach.

As of when I moved away from it, my graft was still doing pretty well! :)

at first I thought you were talking about offspring, which could/would be very possible in a heavily cross-pollinated grow, but now that I see you are talking the same plant, I would bet not "naturally occuring"....

If it's a true breeding natural, he could make a fortune.
Never heard of any except a non true mutie.

Beware of video----a really close look would show if it was grafted.

Its viable in theory but wether it is truly practicle is questonable, i have done it successfully with cactuses, roses and apple trees in the past, the trick is holding the scion in place long enough (around a month) for the xylem and phloem (veins/arteries) to form a strong bond between the different plants and create a sustainable link between the two, i would personally cut a T shape into the chosen rootstock carefully, big enough to slot the scion into but not too deep (basicaly peel back bark/epidurmus) to expose both xylem and phloem and iinsert the scion, it may be worth using fungicide at this point and carefully wrap and support the graft with hessian string, bear in mind that you wil have to cut back any vegetative growth of chosen rootstock to ensure that the graft is successfull in the long term, there are also many other ways to graft plants, might be worth checking the rhs website for better instructions

Its not terribly difficult... I did (as you know if you followed by glog) basically what was suggested... I peeled back some bark, put the scion inside, and used scotch tape (sticky part out) wrapped tightly around the scion and rootstock. I kept it inside for weeks getting only a tiny bit of artificial light each day (and even then one has to be careful about that) - not so little light it dies, but not so much the scion withers before all the connections are made - enough so that the plant can survive off the hosts roots. It was on the buffet in my dining room, which because of a 15' porch + roof, gets no sunlight. The roof had a single incandescent bulb attached (over the dining room table). It was on for a few minutes here or there, but not any kind of sustained exposure. after four weeks, I put it nearer a window, and began hardening it off (fan is important), after 6 weeks, I removed the tape, at 8 weeks I put it back outside. It has produced fruit. It also produced roots at the graft site (that I kept trimmed off).

The plant is one of the bigger ones that I have, and one of two I let live on my porch back home. It has under-produced all my other plants, by a significant margin (maybe 4 pods in total).

There have been three distinct pods coming off the plant however...

First was the peppermania's B.A. Cayenne peppers, second were the pods that came off the annuum bonnet scion (which were annuum bonnets), and third are ridged cayenne peppers with absolutely no heat.

There was only one graft made, which perhaps means that something non-Mendelian happened. Which was my goal.

Back